Sign in to follow this  
goemo

What exact setting is taxing the GPU so much?

I cant figure out which one it is. I just notice my GPU going crazy close to forests. Anyone know what it is ? Tree density ? The textures in the forest? I got a 1060 gtx and it is loud. I really need to get rid of this its getting annoying and sucking all the fun out of the game.

the things that really hit me are creatues, items and buildings.  Big deeds or clusters of deeds, with a lot of buildings and decorations.  They can frequently have large farm animal populations too.  Best setting against those are draw distance.  There is a tree render distance as well, but trees never seem to ramp up my GPU.

Max dynamic lights can hit it too.  I generally limit that settings to under 10.

One of the interesting things you can do to find out of there are more creatures and objects in any certain direction is stand in one spot, then slowly turn in a circle and see where the GPU kicks up.  If it does, there is a significant increase in some creature count/building/items in that direction.

There are a ton of settings you can turn down in Wurm to make it run quiet, on a decent performance computer, but you do have to sacrifice quality quite a bit to do so.  Ive had the client stripped down enough to run up to 30 clients on one computer and still have a bit of room for more. 

Where I live now, my laptop was running very quiet when the server launched, then over 6 months of building and breeding, just running one client makes my fans kick in, even with fairly low settings.

Wish Wurm would touch my GPUs :(  because it only  utilizes 20% average of ONE of my GPUs and I lag with shadows on.  I don't get why WUrm doesn't send off more to the GPUs and still relies so heavily on CPU only.  I am using two RX580 8gb cards in Crossfirex for 16gb GPU memory.  THey may be a few years old but should be able to run WUrm buttery smooth... #optimization.

I had to change the render back to legacy because the client was taxing my GPU at 90 %, then I switched it back to the old version and it sits at about 40% now. 

KILL shadows.. any kind of these... wurm client does ridiculous amount of extra calculations for these...

49 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Wish Wurm would touch my GPUs :(  because it only  utilizes 20% average of ONE of my GPUs and I lag with shadows on.  I don't get why WUrm doesn't send off more to the GPUs and still relies so heavily on CPU only.  I am using two RX580 8gb cards in Crossfirex for 16gb GPU memory.  THey may be a few years old but should be able to run WUrm buttery smooth... #optimization.

you can dream :)