Sign in to follow this  
CitadelShib

Any chance Unlimited will get any more updates at all?

I'm only really interested in the quality of life updates, like the UI or simple items being 100% chance.

I hopped into WO after some WU, and I just don't want to go back to Unlimited because WO just looks and feels better now. I've had some great times in unlimited, and I love the freedom when it comes to server settings. But it just rubs me the wrong way that they've dropped support for the game. I have a hard time recommending it to my friends, especially when the new WO UI makes it much easier to digest for a player who has never played Wurm before. But the fact that you can make actions and levelling faster in WU makes it easier for new players to get into without getting bored.

Also, I just want to be able to scale my UI... playing at 1440p or 4k is nearly impossible with how small certain HUD elements are. Like yeah, you can increase the font size, but that doesn't change button sizes. 

Idk, just a little rant I have. Not sure if anyone here feels the same way. Figured I'd voice my opinion.

Edited by CitadelShib
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1

The whole point of not giving any more updates is to get people back to WO. There are mods people have made to add content. But I think WU will get no more updates. 

• Like 1

They've come out and said that they will maintain stability if that becomes an issue, but there will be no further updates to WU.

• Like 1

Well i dont know how long this will last, many have left WO for good included myself. There are ton of games out there has crafting or similar to Wurm and games are coming out like flies. I do like this game, just lack of details and need some serious improvements. Hard to say how long this game gonna last, esp without getting any supports from them.

Sadly i been seeing people come and go, some told me they just couldnt stick with it anymore as well lack of players to be around with.

Hopefully we can get some nice more mods compare to WO or better.

Edited by Darkelf

On 2/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, Darkelf said:

Hopefully we can get some nice more mods compare to WO or better.

You don't just "get" mods. They don't just pop out of thin air because someone dreamed them.

There are real people putting in blood, sweat, tears and most importantly, time into mods. Without money or a large community giving their praise to mod developers, there will not be any more mods.

It's easy, though: If there was money involved, there would be mods. For 100 bucks an hour I'd do tweaks of existing gameplay all day (or actually hire someone from India). For stuff that require innovation and thought, double it.

###### takes time.

No, it won't. Some confirmed bugs from multiple years ago have been unaddressed, or fixed only internally.

i know these thread is some months old already but i dont want to open another one.....

i am happy that we dont get any updates anymore because i dont want that new animal husbandry on my server! that one really needs alot of overwork to work better!

the new ship-sailing-thingy.... hmmmm..... i am not so fond of it.... it has its pro and contras....

but alas... there are some nice things where i hope someone will make a mod for it. as an example:  donkeys and feeding trough. last one is there maybe???

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, Seriphina said:

They've come out and said that they will maintain stability if that becomes an issue, but there will be no further updates to WU.

They could at least add more maps, e.g. by copying Melody, Cad and Har, which in WO have already been discovered by players.

At one time there was a plan to add more maps. Does not need to be Melody, Cadence or Harmony, they have never used Wurm Online maps and are unlikely to now, among other things it could be used to pinpoint precise ore locations for WO players. But making a brand new generic map or two? That is  super easy and might take an hour of time, if that.  Devs told me several years ago they were planning to add more map options. Keenan might even have some already made.  New maps are actually very very easy to generate. 

Of course they have said many things over the years. At this point however they do not have time or intention to even fix bugs in WU, even ones they have already fixed on their end, there is no way they would add maps especially since there are scores and scores of free player-made maps available in the modding section

I would not even expect 5 minutes of attention from Wurm devs at this point. Even for something really easy, even just to add the bug fixes they said years ago were already coded and ready to go. Sorry but I have been here for ten years, and on WU since release, about 9000 hours in WU and the same in WO, and there is no point in getting any hopes up, there will be nothing. They are absolutely DONE with Wurm Unlimited. They have said so. And frankly, I agree with the person who said it might be safer for them not to touch anything more at this point, the chances are greater things would somehow get worse rather then better and that they would never look back if they critically broke the game in an update, we might literally none of us ever play WU again, unless a modder made a fix.  

Many of the really good modders we did have have now left due to the half decade of broken promises since release. It would be nice if we could get the donkey and other meshes  for WU modders to add in themselves, or the new maps they maybe even already finished,  but I don't think there will ever be any scraps of any kind. No donkeys, no new maps. You can get dozens of new horse skins, rocketfast rainbow colored zebras or ocelets or pandas or other "retextured" animals not requiring new meshes however, and there are as I said, literally scores of some very nice player made maps. You can even make your own, if you are willing to spend an afternoon learning the details. But there are plenty of ready-to-play ones as well. 

Also, there are a number of excellent public servers, such as Sklo's Sklotopolis and Bdew's Otherlands, that continue to offer innovative new content even today. There are others as well, those two I have the most personal experience as far as custom content beyond what you can add yourself through the modding section. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

+1 to your comment, Brash!

And about breaking the wu-servers with a new update...ugh.... that will definitely happen because of the mods the server-owner have on their servers! and to put all the mods back is a horrible work... especially for the servers which are heavily modded! (thanksfully my one hasnt much of them yet....)

At one point I and a few other developers actually wanted to write/maintain a repository of WU mods that would essentially mimic the content that was added to WO but not to WU. Then I was told we'd likely face legal claims for IP if we tried to do so.

Consider Wurm Unlimited dead, because that's what they want it to be. It's one thing to not update it anymore, but when a company starts suppressing the efforts of its community to take that "burden" on themselves, it's painfully obvious the stance that company has on it.

Edited by HatTrickPatrick

Still quite a few people in WU as i looked into the last time, just not that much as in WO

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

Still quite a few people in WU as i looked into the last time, just not that much as in WO

It's not looking good side by side. 🙂 That 58% positive reviews giving a "mixed" rating can't be helping either.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 1:35 PM, Darkelf said:

There are ton of games out there has crafting or similar to Wurm and games are coming out like flies.

I've never found any game close to Wurm. Do you have examples?

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, KiwiBird said:

I've never found any game close to Wurm. Do you have examples?

Nothing is exactly Wurm but Life is Feudal is the closest to the whole game I know of. I haven't tried Medieval Dynasty but I definitely will at some point and that looks like it could be a similar experience, although without terraforming. And if there's particular parts of the game you especially like, there might be another game that is quite different but caters to that part of it you like. Modded Minecraft, Stardew Valley, The Sims, Runescape, Kingdom Come. You aren't going to find another Wurm but if you think about what in particular you are getting out of it and are open-minded about what else might cater to that, you'll find something. There's no reason for a sandbox player to complain these days.

Edited by Kiama

On 7/2/2021 at 12:04 PM, Darnok said:

They could at least add more maps, e.g. by copying Melody, Cad and Har, which in WO have already been discovered by players.

You can generate own maps to WU even 4 times the size of xanadu map.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:39 PM, Kiama said:

Nothing is exactly Wurm but Life is Feudal is the closest to the whole game I know of. I haven't tried Medieval Dynasty but I definitely will at some point and that looks like it could be a similar experience, although without terraforming. And if there's particular parts of the game you especially like, there might be another game that is quite different but caters to that part of it you like. Modded Minecraft, Stardew Valley, The Sims, Runescape, Kingdom Come. You aren't going to find another Wurm but if you think about what in particular you are getting out of it and are open-minded about what else might cater to that, you'll find something. There's no reason for a sandbox player to complain these days.

Unless Life is Feudal has changed it is the same old PVP type. I'm 75 years old and I've played a number of games but nothing is close to Wurm's feeling. You can go and just relax and cruise along or full into to battle and back to relax. You can choose your play sytle.

• Like 2

Based on the recent official post from GCG, it goes to show that nothing is set in stone. Updates to WU could very well come.I want the changes to the client myself. It really goes to show that what actually happens all depends on who is in charge.  Now I need to decide if I should start doing mods again.

Wurm Unlimited
We can learn a lot from the content being created there, and we will begin looking at how we can best work together to add that content to Wurm Online. As for Unlimited itself, this year we will not be able to focus on adding to it, but we know that a code update is needed

A letter from the CEO: Departing Friends and what's on the horizon - City Hall - Wurm Online Forum

Edit...

Ha, and then GCG edits and removes the content about WU. Apparently because current devs disagree with it and the GCG rep didn't check with them first. I still stand behind the idea that WU may get updated.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:51 AM, HatTrickPatrick said:

Then I was told we'd likely face legal claims for IP if we tried to do so.

Whoever told you this is wrong. There are plenty of software licenses that would allow Wurm to use a modders content in any way they see fit. All that needs to happen is modders be required to use a specific license for their content to be considered for use in WO.

Edited by joedobo
GCG backtracking on WU comments
  • Like 1