Sign in to follow this  
Tek

MMORPG.com Marketing Campaign

40 minutes ago, elentari said:

Out of all my gamer aquaintances I've made over the years playing D&D, tabletop games, Rpgs, MMorpgs, WoW fans, nerds and fun geeks, I have never met 1 single person that has ever heard of Wurm Online. Even when I say the name to them, the first thing they ask "Wait , you mean Worms? Worms game? The one with bazookas and grenades?" 

Even oldie fans of Ultima never heard of Wurm. 

Objectively speaking when it comes to brand visibility or people knowing about Wurm, it's probably the most underground game I've met. 

This

And after playing Morrowind/Skyrim/Fallout3/NV etc which are single player rpg's with let's say open-sandbox-like world I have searched for sandbox mmos and never saw someone mention Wurm.

Got here only couse some polish players on polish mmorpg forum have found it.

Advertising is best done when it comes alongside a "hook" for people to latch onto. For example, launching a new server or a major content update. When you have something new coming out, you advertise to peak interest in it before you sell it to consumers.

If there's a partnership with MMORPG to just say "hey come try this game" then it's not going to do much. If there's a partnership where their site will promote an upcoming Wurm Online update with a front page banner ad, then we're in business.

• Like 3

I live next to the spawn town of Overture on Melody. Yesterday while on my deed, I saw about a half dozen brand new player show up looking for help. I would contribute this influx of new players, to this advertising campaign. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

The game should always market its big updates like this upcoming fighting change, this "Overhaul". I just hope not a lot of the budget is being thrown at it with the expectation that it'll "save the game". Marketing will bring people in and that should keep happening, but the game also needs to develop itself in order to retain those people. With a healthy mix of both Wurm should hopefully start to slowly turn its gears and get rolling. 

• Like 1

Yes, people need to have a reason to start playing. E.g. a big update.

Why nog give some special items to first time subscribers?

SUBSCRIBE NOW AND GET A  SPECIAL (SKIN, TOME, WEAPON, CLOTHING)!

Edited by Bittereinder

I think Wurm would benefit a bit more if someone on the team was specifically hired for "Marketing on social media" and dedicate to reaching out to people who might play wurm. And I do mean hired, with some experience, not just volunteer work. 

For example, there are a lot of youtubers and streamers out there playing only Sandbox themed games. Partnering up with one of them showcasing Wurm would give the game the precise targetbase it needs. This way, Wurm would get more visibility in the sandbox mmo scene when people search youtube for games.

Care has to be offered so we don't repeat a "bashur event" again.  Could even offer promo codes to the game via referral links. "Sign up now and get a <insert useful item> here" "On your first purchase of premium you will also get <insert something here> on top of the regular premium bonuses". Maybe skins? 

This way you'd market wurm to its actual player base , aka sandbox mmo fans rather than mmorpg.com or steam which varies wildly in playerbases and expectations. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, Zuelatak said:

but the game also needs to develop itself in order to retain those people

Yup, that's been happening since 2006.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:10 AM, Bittereinder said:

Why nog give some special items to first time subscribers?

Don't new account holders get a nice discount that includes both premium and silver?

• Like 1

Well I guess the game might as well be advertised ANYWHERE else but Steam because the current reviews on Steam is sadly definitely not gonna bring in a lot of new players.

5 hours ago, Johnsammy said:

but Steam because the current reviews on Steam is sadly definitely not gonna bring in a lot of new players

Well a lot of people can easy enough see that the people that have given Wurm Neg reviews on Steam have very very low hours, like under 1 hour to under 2 hours playing. A lot of the positive reviews are from people with over 100 hours. 

Most people can read though the bs steam reviews easy enough. 

10 minutes ago, BoarHead said:

Well a lot of people can easy enough see that the people that have given Wurm Neg reviews on Steam have very very low hours, like under 1 hour to under 2 hours playing. A lot of the positive reviews are from people with over 100 hours. 

Most people can read though the bs steam reviews easy enough. 

And the people who don't try it because they won't invest the bit of time to read a review thread properly would not have been the kind of person who would enjoy a game that requires a significant time investment, so the reviews serve as a good filtering mechanism.

Curious, but can anyone access the mmorpg.com website? It's down for me .

45 minutes ago, elentari said:

Curious, but can anyone access the mmorpg.com website? It's down for me .

Up for me also the wurm online marketing campaign has already ended, I see elder scroll online ads when I disable my adblocker.

18 hours ago, Johnsammy said:

Well I guess the game might as well be advertised ANYWHERE else but Steam because the current reviews on Steam is sadly definitely not gonna bring in a lot of new players.

Steam Reviews..... seriously? ^^

Thats the last thing on Earth one should taken seriously. ^^

• Like 1

Steam is generally no advertisement platform. Small games are not really featured on there.

Edited by Sklo:D

2 hours ago, Caduryn said:

okay but people do take them seriously. You cant just dismiss that fact by saying a sassy remark and just hope it wont be an issue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Haseroths said:

okay but people do take them seriously

no they don't

For one you don't even need to play the game if it's f2p to review it. Two, they have had huge issues with people review bombing  games. Three, So many people reviewing games are like 12 trying to be funny, that is not a review.

Lastly alot of them are of the attitude of "I was neglected as a child, so I will make sure I kill every games progression that I pretend to have once cared about twenty years ago."   

Steam Reviews are a joke full of kids and that is not reviewing a game.

• Like 1

"native steam tribe" normally is fanatic about reviews, it's a religion.. if you play mostly or ONLY steam games.. your only game score is the review rating.

zmCXoQ7.png

Typical Steam Review,  sure funny  , review not so much and 1600 people found that review helpful ?

Edited by BoarHead
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BoarHead said:

While this is true, the point being made is that people do definitely consider the review ratings before trying/buying a game. Luckily for Wurm, it is free to try so people aren't worried about wasting money, so they may still give it a shot but I'm sure there are people out there who see any review rating below Positive and move along down the list of games without much of a second thought. Time is valuable.

Suggesting steam ratings aren't cared about is a bit foolish, no?

Edited by Synjor
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BoarHead said:

zmCXoQ7.png

Typical Steam Review,  sure funny  , review not so much and 1600 people found that review helpful ?

this made my day, keep these coming

So it's established that Steam reviews are a total joke but using Steam to play the game (expanding the player base by 2 or 3 long term players if we're extremely lucky) is all good and well, looks like double standards being applied here.....

Edited by Johnsammy

12 hours ago, BoarHead said:

no they don't

For one you don't even need to play the game if it's f2p to review it. Two, they have had huge issues with people review bombing  games. Three, So many people reviewing games are like 12 trying to be funny, that is not a review.

Lastly alot of them are of the attitude of "I was neglected as a child, so I will make sure I kill every games progression that I pretend to have once cared about twenty years ago."   

A Steam review is how my son found the game. He read them and thought he would give it a try.

Little did he know I had played the game previously. Together we decided to play and had a great time.

Sadly, however, he stopped playing because it "was boring". For me though I am still playing, and having a blast.

• Like 4

I first heard of Wurm Online years and years ago through MMORPG.com when looking for a mmorpg that worked natively on Linux.

Needless to say, I'm glad I did, and I'm happy it is being promoted there.

That said, I'm very disappointed that with new players they keep adding MORE SPACE.  It's like they WANT the game to feel as dead and lifeless as possible.

Seriously what's with that?  I get that there's a lot of hermits but I very much believe we could all live comfortably just on Xanadu alone and the game would feel waaaaaay more alive.

• Like 2

I saw SergiuHellDragonHQ trying out Wurm Online. This guy has over a million subscribers on YouTube. The video did not get that many views though.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, Caduryn said:

That's pretty depressing to hear someone say.  A few of them had some pretty good arguments about the game.  Not all of it is just spam or review bombs.  And the numbers we gained from launch didn't stick around.  Their complaints have some merit, and until we address that, no matter how much we advertise this game, we will keep bleeding people out.

Edited by Zahnweh
  • Like 2