Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

[No Bug] Quality loss when smelting

I have just smolten a ql75 fist bracelet, resulting in a seryll lump with the expected 20% weight loss. But the quality was 68 only, smelting pot ql 85.12, dmg 0. Is that an unannounced ninja nerf or a bug?

This was done few years ago iirc to stop people from mass producing HQL steel by improving steel mine doors at a cost of few lumps and then smelting them to get 50kg of HQL steel.

37 minutes ago, Locath said:

This was done few years ago iirc to stop people from mass producing HQL steel by improving steel mine doors at a cost of few lumps and then smelting them to get 50kg of HQL steel.

No. For that a 20% material loss was introduced, and later the max ql capped to the ql of smelting pots. I have smolten several objects since, and there has not been ql loss until now.

Edit: Just tested with a gold necklace ql55 which was smolten without quality loss. So please explain and/or fix.

Edited by Ekcin

Ok, i might have misunderstood that smelting update few years ago but from Wurmpedia:

• A small amount of metal from the original item is typically lost to the smelting process.
  • Items that cannot be improved and are not capped by the 20% of total skill when created will now receive a quality penalty when smelted, at the following rates: -7.5% to -2.5% for common metals, -12.5% to -7.5% for moon metals and alloys.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Smelting_pot

Could this be the reason? Just throwing guesses.

Ok looks like it. That item (rift reward) was indeed not impable (nor craftable). Thank you.

Edited by Ekcin