Sign in to follow this  
Muse

PVE: Kill the timer - not the player.

Currently if you log out off deed, there is a 1 minute delay - a kind of limbo-land when you have physically left the game but your character logically stays in it.  This occurs if you have a disconnection as well as if you choose to log out. 

If you were in combat (even if it's over) or have an injury - this 'unattended presence' extends for 5 minutes after you log out.

In my opinion this delay serves no reasonable purpose in PvE.

The delay results in a lot of unwanted and unexpected deaths, particularly for new players. Many players log out when they see a large mob, or worse still log out before they see any mob, and believing their character safe, are shocked when they log back in later to find the red death screen.

These are not deaths encountered during actual play.  These are not 'fair fights' - the player is not even present when the fight begins, and can not interact with the world in any way. 

Everyone accepts that the game continues after we leave it, but we don't expect decisions to continue to be made about our character whilst we are absent.  Play is supposed to be attended at all times.

If the toon can show up visibly to others as a 'lost link' - then surely it is possible for the same toon to be flagged as a non-target to mobs at the same time.

It is my suggestion that on PvE, any disconnected toon showing as 'lost link', is flagged as a non-target to mobs as soon as the link is lost.  

This game goes to so much trouble not to set you as a target as soon as you log in - I believe it should pay you the same courtesy when you log out.

Very similar frustration I have: On PvE if you try to logout in a bed, on deed, you have a 5 minute timer if you recently got attacked, meaning that if I'm trying to log off and go to bed (IRL) and get bit by  a hellhorse off my cart, or anything similar, I now have to wait at the computer for 5 minutes for my character to log off, before I can shut down. Why not make logoffs instant on deed in PvE, if say you're using a bed?

• Like 1

While I agree that the timers are widely rubbish in PvE, two things to consider:

1. I would support upholding the combat timeout under imminent attack, including a mob still pursuing you (which may be from some distance, e.g. in case of a hell hound or wolf). The idea behind is preventing "fleeing offline".  But  it is absolutely annoying when you just rode through the forest, return to deed, and cant go to sleep because some mob targeted you from afar. I am not sure how to do that, technically, but once a mob is not running towards you anymore or unable to do so due to a gate, a house, whatever, it should not affect logout time.

2. A logout in a tent should always be a full logout, bedroll or not. The only difference should be the sleep bonus. Any login timer that way should be waited online. Also, the logout by F12 etc. should be choosable: either waiting a logout timer synchronously, or risk to be connected and attacked with all possible consequences, be it being dead or relogging amid a pile of corpses of afk victims.

3. Losing connection due to network, box or client crash etc. is the risk of the player. I do not think the potential risks of that should be changed.

12 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

Very similar frustration I have: On PvE if you try to logout in a bed, on deed, you have a 5 minute timer if you recently got attacked, meaning that if I'm trying to log off and go to bed (IRL) and get bit by  a hellhorse off my cart, or anything similar, I now have to wait at the computer for 5 minutes for my character to log off, before I can shut down. Why not make logoffs instant on deed in PvE, if say you're using a bed?

you can just close the client and your character will go to sleep at the end of the timer even if the clients closed.

Thanks for the info. I always worried whether I would get to sleep correctly when closing the client. Would like to have the timer gone though.