Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Feeling hot? (User Poll) 

Would a heat map help you find a deed location?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Would a heat map help you find a deed location?

• Yes, I wish we had this!
    • No, I liked not knowing
    • No, I feel this ruins exploration
    • Other (Leave thoughts below! 👇🏼)

Cool idea. MORE POLLS FOR UPDATES PLEASE THANKS

• Like 3

one thing i wish we had was a you are here arrow, caricature  position pip on the map. currently we use our wits compass and mountains to navigate but that makes traveling in vallys a pain not to mention a lot of deeds are on the water and have terraformed the shore drastically and can make water navigation difficult as well if we had the locator pip it would make it easier to navigate and know where u are exactly.

if u wanted to make it an action of a tool like the compass,

i guess when u open the map, right click the compass in that menu would be an option to use/get locate, or something like it, after so many seconds depending on compass quality would make the pip appear on the map and would then disappear when the map is closed.  also spy glasses on northern cluster.

On a very popular WU server, just outside of the starter town is a portal to take the player to a less populated area on the server.  I would rather see something like that - with a sign saying roughly where it would take you.  

I think the in-game map could be better, with toggles for highways/bridges and guard towers, but I don't like the heatmap for deeds.  A bit too meta for my taste.

• Like 2

Does this take in consideration the number of alts on a deed ?

This is just deed density. Nothing to do with active players, logged in players or alts. 

The goal is to give an indication on where new players can go if they do want to find free land, as "all the land is taken" is a common misconception 

• Like 4

isn't "high deed density" and "all the good land is taken" part of the reason you put the warning about not joining harmony

1 hour ago, RainRain said:

isn't "high deed density" and "all the good land is taken" part of the reason you put the warning about not joining harmony

Exactly, which is a pain point we've been aware of in regards to the newer servers, thus we're working on this tool. 

I voted for other couse I'am torn here.

On the one hand, it would help new players to find a place to settle. Wurm is confusing enough for them.

On the other hand, it does not exactly fit Wurm idea of doing things on your own, discovery and not being hold by hand.

So, mayyyyyyybe it could be only active for the period of other newbie buffs?

• Like 4

I voted yes because it would be nice to have. However, I also feel like it's not the best solution. A simple heatmap can be misleading. Just because an area is green does not mean it's completely unoccupied. In a similar fashion, just because an area is red does not mean it is packed. Some of the coastlines marked red do not have settlements for hundreds of tiles, such as in the southwest of Harmony.

If you're willing to display information regarding where deeds are, you might as well go all the way and provide a live map of the servers. Wurm Unlimited does this already which you can see examples of in Sklotopolis and Otherlands. As you can tell from other responses, people are looking for map dumps - not a heatmap.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

I voted yes because it would be nice to have. However, I also feel like it's not the best solution. A simple heatmap can be misleading. Just because an area is green does not mean it's completely unoccupied. In a similar fashion, just because an area is red does not mean it is packed. Some of the coastlines marked red do not have settlements for hundreds of tiles, such as in the southwest of Harmony.

If you're willing to display information regarding where deeds are, you might as well go all the way and provide a live map of the servers. Wurm Unlimited does this already which you can see examples of in Sklotopolis and Otherlands. As you can tell from other responses, people are looking for map dumps - not a heatmap.

That's not what we're looking to do. 

This is not "no deeds here" it's just clarifying that this is where unclaimed land is

Maybe on the map screen when your about to choose the server you want to play on?  

So the new player has a better idea of where to settle, but in the normal map, a big no, this would be the first step in a slippery slope imo.

Next it will be " new players get lost a lot" give us current position on server please etc etc etc  or as suggested above just give us a live map?

Wurm is one of the few games when a newbie where running off into the woods is a scary thought, getting lost is a real thing and its great, some of the best days I have hard in wurm have been around getting lost and bumping strange things in the wild, so a heat map at the start to help choosing a server would be great, anything in the in game map not so much.

now a map making skill.........

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

That map of Sklotopolis looks amazing!  It even tells you when a deed was last active and how big it is.  Along with all of the guard towers.  If it is all live data then that is even more cool!

Something like a Google Maps for Wurm lol  would be cool to see.   Heat map though.....Er......Maybe? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This is not "no deeds here" it's just clarifying that this is where unclaimed land is

isnt that the same thing ? no deeds here is unclaimed land ;) 

• Like 3

Other:  I am less interested in deeds (I wouldn't mind an option to search for deed tokens and get an XY - helps to loot, erm, salvage, abandoned deeds).  But, I think it would be more useful to have a player density as opposed to deeds.  Not sure if the database could support such, but an aggregate of over the previous month, this is where people have been.   I find it on Xan, at least, and I expect the smaller lands to be even more so, to be more of an issue finding a spot on areas without ruins to get in the way as opposed to an actual deed.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:29 AM, Wilczan said:

I voted for other couse I'am torn here.

On the one hand, it would help new players to find a place to settle. Wurm is confusing enough for them.

On the other hand, it does not exactly fit Wurm idea of doing things on your own, discovery and not being hold by hand.

So, mayyyyyyybe it could be only active for the period of other newbie buffs?

That ^

It might help new players BUT it's against everything wurm was up until now... i mean, we have suggested countless times that the guards give you a hint about where you are on the map and it wasn't even looked into... but now we have high density sat maps?!

The community maps on the forum are usually up to date and gives you a way better lay of the land than the ingame map ones that are utterly INCORRECT nowadays (see lakes filled in, new islands made out of thin air... yadda yadda).

So yah... feels like a NO THANKS for me... but heh, tie it to the newbie buff IF you think it will IMPROVE player retention. Else seems like a huge waste of time compared to the amount of bugs left around or others improvements that can be made.

• Like 5

I like the idea, though maybe not ingame,maybe an additional map dump style heat map

• Like 2

I too would rather see this in a map dump... maybe monthly if it's not too taxing?  Put each server on a schedule for regular map dumps while we're at it, so it's all split across days/weeks each month.

Wurm Unlimited has managed to provide mapping functionality for years, and yes of course this is needed. I really don't see why you don't allow full live maps with a toggle for those who wish to discover for themselves. This would no doubt be a negative for the Wurm connoisseur but to new players it can make all the difference at the start of their Wurm journey.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, Votip said:

i can do it for summer hat

*necroe giggling*

Might alow new players to ride wild horses too.its verry rought exploring for a place to settle at less than 10fs riding a bull at 10km/h at least a wild horse should run maybe at 17 hm/h and alow for a but of safer exploration. Even for me dressed all in scale with my trusty supreme spear and 32 km/h horse if im not carrfull i get ganked by loads of trolls,bears, scorpions and the likes. I could take on 2 or 3 trolls at a time.but not when there are many of them.

Still i love the heat toggle on map.its usefull

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zarame said:

Might alow new players to ride wild horses too.

I do side with this more. I'm not against a heat map, but how effective will it be for a new player when their mobility is as sluggish and limited as it is as a new starter? It's all well and good dropping a heat map saying there's some free land 8 grid tiles away from starter deed that has good access to everywhere else on the server.

But how do they get there? Do you trust them to actually work the highway system if it's even going to take you near there? Do they know community map exists? And how liable are they to just get bored doing this travel so they can drop money to get set up? 

If a heat map is done, please do it with some changes in mind for new starter navigation beyond just food/aggro range and such.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, Votip said:

i can do it for summer hat

sorry, only Joelle gets summer hats

• Like 1