Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

Tel Varon [Closed]

This server has been dead for a couple of months now so is now being closed.

OGkjShB.png

We have PvP on, but on a Freedom home server, using WyvernMods to allow same-kingdom conflict.

Discord: https://discord.gg/aaV9uU2x6W

Edited by Kiama
Closing
  • Like 1

Update: I encountered the bug today where you can't steal from deeds of the same kingdom. To fix this, we have added WyvernMods to allow same-kingdom conflict, including taking stuff from deeds. The mod comes with a huge range of other features. I painstakingly went through the 1,200 lines of config and selected which changes to use. There were way too many to list, but some of the big features are the opt-in leaderboard, treasure hunting, and mounted actions.

On 1/11/2021 at 3:07 AM, Kiama said:

Posting in Mixed because we have PvP on, but on a Freedom home server, using WyvernMods to allow same-kingdom conflict.

I was loving this right up until I realized it's PvP.  Oh well, I know there are lots of people who love PvP.  Wishing you the best with the new server!

• Like 1

If it's even allowed to steal from own kingdom, then it is full PVP only server. No reason to adwertise it  as mixed

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MarkSilard said:

If it's even allowed to steal from own kingdom, then it is full PVP only server. No reason to adwertise it  as mixed

"Do you like helping your neighbour, but want to stab someone from time to time as well?"

I don't really mind the thread being moved if it is a big deal but I posted here because I thought we meet the above criteria precisely. This is a server with full PVP on as a side-effect of providing a full player-driven sandbox, rather than PVP being the focus of the server, although it could of course become the focus due to heavy PVPers joining. It also lacks the kingdom vs kingdom conflict that some PVPers expect. But sure, it is a full PVP server so it is a PVP server. People who like that should know. Do you think I should just repost in PVP? From past experience there seems to be no way to get these threads moved or deleted.

• Like 1

It is quite possible to get them moved.

I find the easiest approach is to use the REPORT  button on the opening post and report your own thread, you will get a pop up box to explain the reason, simply say that you are the thread's author and it needs to be moved from Mixed to PvP as that is the more appropriate subforum. I have reported my own threads like this from time to time, and encouraged others to use that method, and it always seems to end well with the moderator moving the thread. Moderators really do want to see things in the right place; they may not like getting dragged into a disagreement between two users on what the correct subforum is, or having threads get moved back and forth several times, but reporting your own thread to have it placed in a more appropriate subforum makes it clear that is what you want too and only helps them.

To me, a "mixed" server has clearly defined boundaries between PVE areas and PVP areas and allows the easy movement between the two. Some do this by having two joined island clusters, kind of like Chaos and Independence, or Harmony and Defiance; others have separate "zones" on a single server with different rules. This is what I believe is actually meant by "Do you like helping your neighbour, but want to stab someone from time to time as well?"  Sometimes you can play PVP and sometimes PVE, and it is fully your own choice which you do on any particular day. 

Some examples from the Mixed subforum:  

• Awakening is PVP but has large PVE-only zones. 
  • Western Union has 12 PVE islands and a central PVP island.
  • With Our own Hands is Open PVP out in the wilderness, PVE around and in Deed
  • Split Rock is mostly PVE but does include PVP zones.

Your server to me is actually a full PVP server as there is no place, anywhere,  a PVE player can enjoy themselves without the constant threat of being forced into PVP.  Not even their own deed is a safe haven.   Putting it in "Mixed" feels misleading and gives PVErs the feeling they are being lured in with a false feeling of security simply so they can be ambushed more easily, which I don't think is your intent at all.   

Even on full PVP servers like Chaos/Wild, players will usually "help their neighbors", so insisting everyone be a fulltime bloodthirsty killer is by no means a requirement for a full PVP server. PVPers can (and usually are) very nice people.

Mixed means each player gets to choose, without having a choice forced on them.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

"Putting it in "Mixed" feels misleading and gives PVErs the feeling they are being lured in with a false feeling of security simply so they can be ambushed more easily, which I don't think is your intent at all."

Definitely not. When you put it like that, yeah I better report it.

No one is on the server so it is a good time to migrate the server to PingPerfect. The server is up during this time so that I can explain this to people who join but nothing you do until I have migrated it will matter.

Sorry still sorting it out. I'll give sleep powder to everyone on the server when I get it working.

Edited by Kiama

Just reminding you all that there is a completely free, full experience to be had on this server for anyone who:

1. Doesn't mind soloing for now

2. Likes danger

3. Likes wilderness