Sign in to follow this  
Sialia

disease

This is ridiculous. you guys give me another disease every couple of DAYS!  

If i was sick so much irl i would certainly seek to end my misery permanently. 

Are we not warriors, craftsmen, farmers, gatherers. An active and healthy lifestyle, right? Not tainted, corrupted invalids. Or is your world here so polluted that it will destroy all life even without the help of trolls and goblins?

You're taking all the fun away. i have a lot of animals to groom, milk, sheer, feed, breed, and not enough online time to stand around sick so i don't contaminate them too. Stop wasting my precious minutes! Every time this happens i become more irate and closer to ending my subscription. What is the reasoning behind this "disease" stuff anyhow? Just to kill off my livestock?

• Like 2

I recommend you do the following to : 

1. Prevent disease a)  keep a max of 2 animals in a 2x1 pen. 

b) keep an eye on deed animal ratio. If it's not optimal, animals will die of disease. 

2. Cure disease  a) Keep food bar and nutrition as high as possible 

b) Stay on deed. I cannot stress this enough but there is a deed bonus that helps with curing your disease level. Off deed it will only rise. 

Personally I think the disease mechanic is outdated, players should not get diseased, animals yes. 

1 hour ago, elentari said:

I recommend you do the following to : 

1. Prevent disease a)  keep a max of 2 animals in a 2x1 pen. 

b) keep an eye on deed animal ratio. If it's not optimal, animals will die of disease. 

2. Cure disease  a) Keep food bar and nutrition as high as possible 

b) Stay on deed. I cannot stress this enough but there is a deed bonus that helps with curing your disease level. Off deed it will only rise. 

Personally I think the disease mechanic is outdated, players should not get diseased, animals yes. 

I wish this worked. 😉 We are getting disease in weird ways, recently got one when trading with my merchant. ;) 

• Like 1

and I am trying my best to become diseased for the journal but after months no luck. Must be the amount of garlic I chop daily

I had such a hard time getting diseased for the journal that I made a post about to see if the disease resistance from the black tome was preventing me from getting the status.

I wonder if the current broken mechanic (there are many people complaining of getting diseased all the time) rises a TOS issue, if the game itself due a bug repeatedly stops you playing.  Even if it doesn't, who would keep playing a game where you have to repeatedly do almost nothing at all but stand there and occasionally eat?

• Like 1

Let's say you stand completely still .

All it takes is one player mounted on a horse to pass by your tile and in that moment the game will roll a die and see if you catch a disease. If you get the message "your skin itches, you feel something weird" (or w/e the message is, I forgot) then you will get a disease. 

The key point is there has to be at least 3 creatures in a tile for the roll to happen. If you want to get the disease, simply put 5 animals in a 1x1 pen (easy to do ) and stay there afk for 10 minutes. It will happen. Make it off deed and it's almost guaranteed. 

While on a deed (any deed really) the deed bonus can come into play and cure your disease in the next 10 minute tick. As far as I recall diseases like wounds get 10 minutes ticks. Say you're diseased and the power of the disease is 20. After 10 mins, the game rolls to see your stats and if it goes higher or lower (including being on or off deed) 

• Like 1

I suspect that you play with low nutrition or hunger bar often.. and maybe you get stacked on 1 tile with several creatures to get the status often.

Than again there is another topic on forums about people getting the disease status from just driving a cart/wagon/etc at quite common rate to be annoying, I've recently gotten it while being on a cart and wagon with low and high nutrition.. so this mechanic is a little bit let loose to do random rolls.. even when you move over a tile.. and oddly you align yourself and 2 of the pulling creatures on same tile.. that could get you the status.. 😑

Pure speculation Finnn, but I think the reasoning you get diseased on a cart is one of the 2: When you embark you teleport through the tile the horses are hitched (it happens instantly so you can never really tell, unless someone looks at the Wurm code in detail to see how embarkation goes). 

OR

When you pass through a mine entrance/exit sometimes you can see the horses going up the slope for a second instead of the mine itself. In that point I guess the game considers the horses + you on the same tile. Hope that makes sense.

Final speculation would be that diseases are just buggy. 

• Like 1

Since one of the latest patches, a Fo priest can cure a disease very fast.

You scratch yourself. What did you catch now?

And again.. just happened.. as I drive my cart.. great rng.. no creatures on the tile.. just the random occurrence of my and the 2 horses aligning to be on same 1 tile as I move.. great rng..😑

ps. fix this mechanic, it's terrible

• Like 1

I don’t experience this problem. I have about 30-40 animals on my deed, well within ratio for my deed size. All are single animals in either 1x1 or 1x2 pens, except for short periods when mothers give birth and there will be 2. I keep animals groomed. I’m often at 50 or lower food.

I’ve caught a disease just once since it was reintroduced — what, a couple months ago? — when I was mining and standing on the same tile as two bulls that were pulling my cart. That was a day or so after the patch. I’ve since ensured I don’t spend any significant time standing in the same tile as two animals and haven’t caught disease since.

Can’t say the mechanic doesn’t need adjusting, but I play a lot and am around lots of animals regularly. I’m in a decent size alliance and have heard no complaints of this mechanic. Just occasionally does this come up on forums.

Personally, it sounds like a mix of bad luck (rng) and confirmation bias and possibly some bad practice thrown in the mix (ie, if you’re going to have more than two animals on a tile —including yourself — you better keep your food level high).

edit:

And again.. just happened.. as I drive my cart.. great rng.. no creatures on the tile.. just the random occurrence of my and the 2 horses aligning to be on same 1 tile as I move.. great rng..

Though I do have to say if that happened (ie, there wasn’t coincidentally another player with animals crossing the tile at the same time), that sounds like it could use tweaking.

If latency or even geometry is leading to players occasionally being in the same tile as animals pulling their carts, I can see how it would lead to unexpected and high transmission — rng will eventually hit on a journey, which doesn’t feel right to me. 

So if this is the case, a suggestion I could sign up to: I don’t think the disease roll should consider animals hitched to a cart you’re riding, whether as commander or passenger.

Edited by Calan