Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Make uniques 100% static (non-moving) on Epic

As the title implies, please for the love of all that is holy, make uniques frozen in place on epic or at least don't allow them to move more than 5 tiles. 

The reasoning for this is the abysmal population on Epic which prevents us from actually killing the things.

For the past 3 years, (YES THREE!!!!) the Epic population has been so low that we can't reasonably kill uniques with the current player pop. It's simply not doable. Uniques such as a Champ Kyklops or Green Dragon require 25+ players with 90 FS and priests to heal the group. There aren't any. When those roam the map and grief people, there is nothing that can be done. 

Uniques currently only serve 3 negative purposes :  1. They roam the map and bash deeds griefing players. If you're on a cart/wagon , good luck they'll chase you all around the map adding extra frustration. 

2. They roam the map and kill starting players on Epic and make their lives miserable when they find out they cannot be killed (Epic low pop :(

3. They are a sad reminder of content that is quite effectively locked away from Epic due to not having players to kill them. You see a dragon and sigh knowing you'll never get its scales and all you can do is run away and hope it doesn't chase you too far. 

Make those uniques either 100% static, as in they will never move from the spot (you can correct their positioning if they are on steep mountain slopes) or at least reduce their move range to something dececnt as 5-10 tiles. They will chase you for that long but then move back to their original position. 

Either that or please remove them completely until the following condition is met : Epic has at least a decent population of 150 players so it can actually kill them. 

I swear I'll post this every month until something gets done about the issue. 

Basically we have mobs that only do damage to the few players playing there, it damages the game's rep when such issues are ignored and really shakes my faith that anyone really gives a damn at this point. 

Is an Epic player's paid premium worth less than someone playing on NFI or SFI to such an extent they don't deserve having a decent gameplay experience? 

And no, suggestions such as "well hur durr pen them if they are such a nuissance" don't cut it anymore. This is an issue on the server side of things, on the dev side of things. Players should not be responsible to fix broken gameplay. 

Edited by elentari

I agree.

In past 3 years of living here (Desertion) mostly alone, I have so many problems with uniques that I cannot even count it.

Maybe uniques should have some kind of mechanic that stops them on the perimeter already. Perimeter should work like a wall for them, so they won't even cross it, not to mention going into the deed.

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Is an Epic player's paid premium worth less than someone playing on NFI or SFI to such an extent they don't deserve having a decent gameplay experience? 

if it was worth the same, appropriate steps in case of epic situation wouldve be taken long time ago

Edited by Votip

or.. make them non-aggressive until population goes above xx amount of players? (rip server if you consider to defy the dragons with casual sermon party) - this probably lets farming kills on them with small groups.. as they wont attack until provoked.. letting a small group capable of killing them just mow through a group 1 by 1.. with no extras aggroing.. just the one that is provoked attacking back .. which can be handled easily with good enough skills and gear.

Evict epic uniques - if they haven't been killed in 3 months IRL, replace warmaster on freedom pve server rifts with 1 random roaming unique bully?

Epic doesn't want the bullies.. pve wants some public events.. win:win?

i know this is not what you are asking for, but why not permanently pen them underground? if the locations are known (and griefers don't free them), you wouldn't have troubles with them anymore and in the event of having enough players to slay them... actually kill the buggers.

7 minutes ago, Odynn said:

i know this is not what you are asking for, but why not permanently pen them underground? if the locations are known (and griefers don't free them), you wouldn't have troubles with them anymore and in the event of having enough players to slay them... actually kill the buggers.

Impossible, they got out sooner or later. I even saw holes in the reinforced walls, made by uniques, leading outside the underground into the void, so GM needed to fix them. Many times unique trapped in reinforced mine covered with dirt get out anyway.

surface mine a trench around the mine that goes as deep underwater as you can then dirt it, charcoal's been penned like that since 2014

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

surface mine a trench around the mine that goes as deep underwater as you can then dirt it, charcoal's been penned like that since 2014

It made a hole in the wall and dropped somwhere below the game world to be found later on the surface, so I guess doesn't matter if there would be a trench around or not.

Not to mention that id did double mine entrance vertical: )

qOiwj51.jpg

42 minutes ago, Odynn said:

It was tried, some uniques which are the most problematic , aka Champ Forest giant for some reason always pop out on the ground. Collapsed mine, dropped dirt, they eventually pop out in 1-2 weeks. I blame wurm's buggy code. 

30 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Same issue as before. We can't spend time as players everyweek as a chore "Oh, I gotta waste more hours of my life to pen another unique which will never be killed". As I previously said, players should not sacrifice their time to fix bad gameplay mechanics. 

Edited by elentari

yes they tend to simply pop from undergound in a few weeks on Epic. On the other hand I've seen a blue dragon living for many months in an open mine and it did not even chase anyone outside its mine.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jaz said:

yes they tend to simply pop from undergound in a few weeks on Epic. On the other hand I've seen a blue dragon living for many months in an open mine and it did not even chase anyone outside its mine.

That particular dragon was penned in a shallow mine only just above water level, on what used to be Spider Island I think, I penned that one, it actually popped out a few times, but after it messed up the slope of the mine entrance it stayed inside for a long time. At that time I also trapped a few others, the red and white were especially bad for getting out no matter what.

Penning dragons in specially made caves with trenches relies on them actually being in an area where that is possible, they do have a range, and will run back if they reach it, it is however a large range, and for a few uniques it's within wall bashing distance of the start deed, strongbox now has a couple of breaches caused by the Kyclops on Serenity.

Giving them a short leash, 5-10 tiles would be acceptable in most cases, letting them roam completely free is a bad idea, especially when keeping them away from inhabited areas is actually impossible at present population levels on all servers.

The only other option would be inviting freedom players over for hunts, but then we have the issue of having enough gear for hunts, with low population most of us are slowly running out of decent quality weapons and armour as well ...

14 hours ago, Zenity said:

The only other option would be inviting freedom players over for hunts, but then we have the issue of having enough gear for hunts, with low population most of us are slowly running out of decent quality weapons and armour as well ...

Not only that, but need to coordinate it timewise without someone griefing the event. 

On 1/11/2021 at 2:42 AM, Jaz said:

That is exactly what the uniques need; lairs and domains.  Maybe a built in mechanic on all servers that once a unique has wandered about for x amount of time it looks for a home and settles in and then won't venture beyond a given radius unless actively provoked.  Don't want to be hassled by the Forest Giant?  You would only need to stay out of his forest.  If you get the hankering, and the help, to go slay a dragon, he will be in his lair waiting for you.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

That is exactly what the uniques need; lairs and domains.  Maybe a built in mechanic on all servers that once a unique has wandered about for x amount of time it looks for a home and settles in and then won't venture beyond a given radius unless actively provoked.  Don't want to be hassled by the Forest Giant?  You would only need to stay out of his forest.  If you get the hankering, and the help, to go slay a dragon, he will be in his lair waiting for you.

That's actually nice idea.

On 1/10/2021 at 6:02 PM, Zenity said:

I don't fully understand that issue. If you have at least a vyn priest at hand who can cast nimbleness, Freedom players can craft a huge axe or staff or whatever and imp it up to 80 and beyond in short time. Same with armour, I would say that 80ql studded should suffice for most purposes, and that I with my modest 65 LW (Freedom) could create in an hour or faster (more exactly that does not need but a set of rivets and the imping time as the noob armor can be turned into studded and is impable then).

Only issue to get enough Freedomers over. Maybe some can be convinced. And all would be easier if the devs would provide some skill re-transfer from Epic to Freedom.

Edited by Ekcin

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

I don't fully understand that issue. If you have at least a vyn priest at hand who can cast nimbleness, Freedom players can craft a huge axe or staff or whatever and imp it up to 80 and beyond in short time. Same with armour, I would say that 80ql studded should suffice for most purposes, and that I with my modest 65 LW (Freedom) could create in an hour or faster (more exactly that does not need but a set of rivets and the imping time as the noob armor can be turned into studded and is impable then).

Only issue to get enough Freedomers over. Maybe some can be convinced. And all would be easier if the devs would provide some skill re-transfer from Epic to Freedom.

Does your gear go with you?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Does your gear go with you?

No. You arrive in newbie stuff. I do not know what your skills are, but just hop through a portal and watch your effective skills.It took me a few hours to get a studded of 50 to 80 ql, and a huge axe of ql75. Crafted a rowboat to sail from Glittershore-Desertion to Elevation within less than 2 hrs. Ok I had made a few tools during earlier visits. But even with mediocre skills you are fairly powerful in crafts on Epic. Only disadvantage is that skillgain does not travel back, not even in reduced amounts.

Let's not forget the main issue here. 

We're talking about "fixing" an issue that shouldn't have happened in the first place. The issue is lack of players on Epic. The devs should have been more thoughtful and adapt the server to the new player population status. Uniques can't be killed, rifts can barely get done, it's not fun. It's a mess in fact.

I stand by my sentence, players should not be responsible for fixing a broken mechanic or a broken status quo. 

Also, really what would be the motivation of freedom players to hop on Epic to kill uniques? You can't go back with the loot. At best you might complete a journal goal and that's that. 

• Like 2

The motivation for Freedom players to go to Epic would be the adventure. Not all creatures of Epic exist in Freedom, and as funny public slayings are, there are much away from "real fights". When 70 to >100 slayers gather, the unique has a survival time of minutes. Combat wise it is not really satisfying. On Epic it would be a real hunt, where the unique stands some chance too. Freedomers could act as mercenaries for the local population, personally I would not mind converting back and forth monthly, or even faster once a kingdom would be purged so far. Same with rifts.

A real hindrance of motivation, as already pointed out repeatedly, is the one way skill transfer. I would not mind an, albeit reasonable, penalty on skill transfer back to freedom (though I fail to see it being crucial, except for a few skills). But the full block of transfer is an abhorrence for many, I am sure. 

Epic will not be what it once was. The servers are beautiful and challenging though, and it would be a shame to destroy them.

• Like 1