Sign in to follow this  
OwainKGB

Cooked Rice

According to the recipe, all I need a cooker, a container, rice and water, and optionally salt.

I am using an oven, a saucepan,  and rice.  I then fill the saucepan with water from a water source, and place in a lit oven, but it fails to cook.  Am I not cooking it long enough?  One piece of kindling has been sufficient to cook Meals in a frying pan, or Breakfasts in a clay bowl, but does that not allow enough cooking time for rice?  Or do I need a measured amount of water, and I'm using too much?

The recipe should specify these things, but it does not.

When all the ingrediants are in the sauce pan/ frying pan / pottery bowl, right click the container and left click the 'Lore' option.

That'll tell if what you have in there will produce a valid recipe or not.

I believe from my recollection making steamed rice just requires a pottery bowl. water, and (1) rice in it.  Use the Lore function I mentioned above to discover how much water is needed and you can use a pottery measuring jug to add/remove water to insure it's within the correct amount range.  I fixed it in an oven doing just what I outlined.

EDIT: Sauce pans tend to be used for liquids or sauces.  I believe you need to use a pottery bowl instead.

And apologies, my response was assuming you were playing Wurm Online.  I'd not noticed the forum you'd asked the question in.  I don't play it, but I believe Wurm Unlimited lets the player who's hosting the game customise recipes if they choose.   That might be the issue too.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

The lore suggests I use a cooking oil at 25% of the volume of the ingredient.

According to my notes, you need to make sure the amount of water is 80-120g.  (If you add oil, it works on building a different recipe than cooked rice.)

From where did you learn to add 80-120 g water?  Trial and error?

It would seem, then, that the lore is unreliable.

Cooked rice should work with either saucepan or pottery bowl from memory.  The lore system will try to steer you towards recipes you don't know, if what you've got so far could have multiple outcomes, so it's likely suggesting a different recipe to cooked rice.  If you put rice and any quantity of water in a pottery bowl (or probably saucepan), optionally with a salt, and then do lore on your bowl, it will tell you how much water you need (the 80g - 120g referred to above).  You can then adjust the amount of water in your bowl to make the recipe (typically using the pottery measuring jug, which is designed for exactly this).

• Like 3

On 1/8/2021 at 11:33 PM, OwainKGB said:

According to the recipe, all I need a cooker, a container, rice and water, and optionally salt.

I am using an oven, a saucepan,  and rice.  I then fill the saucepan with water from a water source, and place in a lit oven, but it fails to cook.  Am I not cooking it long enough?  One piece of kindling has been sufficient to cook Meals in a frying pan, or Breakfasts in a clay bowl, but does that not allow enough cooking time for rice?  Or do I need a measured amount of water, and I'm using too much?

The recipe should specify these things, but it does not.

You should measure water too.