Sign in to follow this  
HolyPower

Cadence/Melody rift problem

11 minutes ago, Platyna said:

Server should be "aware" of when there are the most players online on and open rifts accordingly. 

so people living outside the us/eu should never get to go to rifts?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

yes. why you asked?

• Like 1

I for once really hope and assume this was a one time action from the devs. Please dont alter anymore rift times, as it will just mess with someone elses time schedule.

Let the rifts times be and the ones that can and will attend can do it to the planned schedule.

Edit: i didnt really see the point with altering the rift times on Melody or any other server at all, just to have said that.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

Seems reasonable to help things along a bit, as a one-off.  If the playerbase tends to close rifts at a different time (e.g. when most players are one, prime-time US/EU), then the times will shift to that anyway pretty quick.

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

When 10 people attend, then just 10 people attend. And rifts should open when there are the most players online. We create our online communities, alliance etc, so there is a variety in population on the servers. And I would like to remind you that time zones are based on meridians, so it is not like just EU or US can have a rift in a given time zone. Anyway it could be coded to be randomly drawn from a weighted average (where weight is a number of players at a given time in the past week), so most rifts would open when there are most players online but not always. 

What is the point for a server to open an event where 10 people participate out of 80 who regularly play on the server? 

It would be also nice if rift areas would be fixed and spawned in the centre, or there could be some item like a "rift waystone" that a player or GM could place, so we have an easy travel - more people would participate. 

I can't imagine myself doing 100 rifts in the current setting. 

@NordlysMaybe your time schedule, considered how many people attend rifts, they either turn from the left to right in their beds or they are working. Rifts should open in the time most convenient for the people who actually play on a particular server. 

According to the chart below at the next rift that will be probably 8 AM on a working day, there will be the middle of the night in the USA, the only people who will have some decent hours to attend will be Russians, Chinese and Aussies. 🙂 

1920px-World_Time_Zones_Map.png

Edited by Platyna

7 minutes ago, Platyna said:

What is the point for a server to open an even where 10 people participate out of 80 who regularly play on the server? 

so those 10 people can experience rifts when they otherwise couldn't? is their gameplay less important because they play at less populated times?

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

so those 10 people can experience rifts when they otherwise couldn't? is their gameplay less important because they play at less populated times?

This is not what I wrote. Re-read. 

Less chance for rifts in a certain timezone due to population = peoples gameplay in that timezone is valued as less important as they have less of a chance at getting content. it's already a problem with things like impalongs (all the events are at us/eu time), unique slayings, staff run events/giveaways, practically all events are based in us/eu time as it is and people from the opposite timezone are left behind, there shouldn't be more game mechanics to encourage disregarding these players

the smaller servers often get 15-30 people doing rifts in the middle of the night na/eu time so sounds like an indy problem more than a game problem.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Platyna said:

@NordlysMaybe your time schedule, considered how many people attend rifts, they either turn from the left to right in their beds or they are working. Rifts should open in the time most convenient for the people who actually play on a particular server. 

It will mess with someone elses time schedule if you change the planned rift - no matter how you bend it. Also, i didnt mention my time schedule as that is not important.

3 hours ago, Platyna said:

We should have it on other servers too. On Ind rifts are in such hours that we have 10 people because all others are sleeping. Server should be "aware" of when there are the most players online on and open rifts accordingly. 

This is a one off to allow people of different timezones to attend. 

• Like 3

@NordlysI am not against changing planned rifts, I am for changing the way they are planned, and the turnout + complaints about the journal entry clearly shows it is needed.

@RetrogradeI know, I would like also SFI to be taken care of...would be cool. Currently, I gave up on rifts - they are at absurd times. In my present condition I have to rest a lot, and basically most of the people who can, prefer to sleep like babies at 8 AM. 

Edited by Platyna

1 minute ago, Platyna said:

@RetrogradeI know, I would like also SFI to be taken care of...would be cool. 

"Taken care of"?

2 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

"Taken care of"?

I thought it is clear we speak here about the rift opening times be changed, so this event would have a higher attendance rate. 

4 minutes ago, Platyna said:

I thought it is clear we speak here about the rift opening times be changed, so this event would have a higher attendance rate. 

There is nothing wrong with how the time rotation of the rift is, cause this way atleast everyone gets to participate sometime. If they're gonna change rifts its other things to fix and change, but thats for another discussion.

Events in the early morning and or in the middle of the night for areas where the most player base comes from is something wrong and should be adjusted accordingly. The action that is the topic of this thread was a good one, we need more. 

Just now, Platyna said:

Events in the early morning and or in the middle of the night for areas where the most player base comes from is something wrong and should be adjusted accordingly. The action that is the topic of this thread was a good one, we need more. 

rifts are more like a job that slave has to do than "event"

1 minute ago, Votip said:

rifts are more like a job that slave has to do than "event"

When I manage to actually attend (and hell I do play a lot, I bet dollars against nuts that I am the most active player in Wurm or at least in top 3), I tend to enjoy them. 😉 

Edited by Platyna

4 minutes ago, Platyna said:

and hell I do play a lot, I bet dollars against nuts that I am the most active player in Wurm or at least in top 3

you lost already

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Votip said:

you lost already

No, I won. 😉 

Edited by Platyna

If this rift is at 8am, then the next one will be at like 10, then the one after that is like 12 and so on, and you can always go to another server if it's too early/late for you. The overall population yesterday at 8am your time is 486, whereas the peak of the entire day was 897, or around 60% or so. You're acting as if it's some ghost town where nobody plays but there's plenty of people that play at those time zones and go to rifts (i know this because celes population is often 3-4x higher than what it normally is when there's a rift during the "undesirable hours"), and "fixing" them by making their spawns more likely to go to higher population times isn't fair to people who play in these timezones. Even now, they slightly gravitate towards more populated times as their rifts get closed quicker unless the offpeak times are filled with stacked toons.

If you can't imagine yourself doing 100 rifts in the current setting imagine doing them as someone in an off peak timezone after your "fixes" that make all the rifts in the middle of the night for them lmao

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 2

10 people attend rifts on a second most populated server...15 at peak, and a bunch of old players argue that everything is fine...

Edited by Platyna

9 minutes ago, Platyna said:

10 people attend rifts on a second most populated server...15 at peak, and a bunch of old players argue that everything is fine...

Isn't an open discussion about presenting your point of view, and accepting that other opinions may exist? ;)

You say time is the reason rifts are "empty".

I say it's the lack of incentive to go there. The first months of rifts were packed, even at 3 at night. Nowdays, biggest reason to attend for many players is the cape, the occasional restock of materials or just tagging along because nothing better to do.

So yea, the time circulation as it is now, is fair for everyone. One day it's 8pm for you, some other day it's 8pm for the lads down in kangaroo land.

Everything is fine.

Just now, Shmeric said:

Isn't an open discussion about presenting your point of view, and accepting that other opinions may exist? ;)

It is, and so what about it? 🙂 Where did you get the idea I have a problem with that?

I stated the facts I am aware of - people don't go to the rifts because they are either at absurd time or absurd location, and the thread about journal entry (100 rifts) where multiple people report this problem is a good read for this discussion. 

The issue mentioned in the OP is resolved, so I'll be locking this thread, it doesn't need to become another derailed thread arguing a specific point of view in the absence of the actual issue at hand. 

• Cat 1