Sign in to follow this  
Shinso

Building Houses/Gates in Mines

I am not liking the mine settings for Freedom because u cant build houses  off deed unless a tile away from the walls while on PvP you can build houses against the walls - same with gates like i am really finding it kind of stupid how that works i think u should allow at least people to build gates in mines off deed. "Against Walls"
And i believe alot of people would find it helpful if they are building in a mine where other people are living so they can at least put a gate to stop people from taking their stuff if its in a open area in a mine.

Edited by Shinso
  • Like 1

i agree, you should always be able to build directly at cave walls

• Like 1

Okay, here is a quick thought experiment... 
We are all in a cave / open mine area that is off deed. Just a reminder - because this area is off-deed, there are no overriding permissions. Anyone can go anywhere and anyone can mine anywhere. 

I have a pile of stuff that is "mine" and I want to protect it from getting taken by other players. I don't have a lot of space or a lot of materials, so I am going to only build 3 sides of the fence and let the rock wall of the cave be the 4th side. 

X X-------  ---------

X X                   |o

X X                   |

X X------  ----------

So each X is one tile of rock wall, the dashes are the tiles with my fence on it... and I've used "|o"   to show where my gate is positioned in the fence line & I've attached a lock to it. And now I've got a nice, secure area as long as I've set up the permissions on the gate's lock correctly. 

Unfortunately, we are off-deed. And I didn't think this all the way through. As a reminder - because this area is off-deed, there are no overriding permissions. Anyone can go anywhere and anyone can mine anywhere. 

When I log on the next day I discover that now my area looks like this: 

X X-------  ---------

X X                    |o

X                       |

X    ------  ---------

And all my stuff is gone. While I was offline, somebody else came and simply mined two tiles of rock - and it opened up a path into my fenced area. Because we're in a cave that is off-deed, anybody can mine whatever tiles they would like. There is absolutely nothing stopping another player from simply removing the entire wall of rock that your fence is up against. 

So even if this suggestion was allowed. And we could build fences and walls right up against the rocks when we are off-deed... We would ~still~ need to build all 4 walls of any fence or any building to make it secure. And if you are building all 4 sides of your fence - why not just build it 1 tile away from the rock wall? 

Even if it is just a matter of aesthetics, and it simply looks better to have fences and walls up against the wall of a cavern - if you are off-deed, anyone could come and mine those tiles away anyway to expand the cavern... and then you wouldn't be up against the wall anymore. 

If you want this level of control of an area - either for security, or for aesthetics, or any other reason you might have - you will need to deed. 

Edited by Amata

1 hour ago, Amata said:

And if you are building all 4 sides of your fence - why not just build it 1 tile away from the rock wall? 

I guess, maybe so that you have this;

X X-------  ---------

X X|                  |o

X X|                  |

X X------  ----------

instead of this;

X X      -------  ---------

X X      |                  |o

X X      |                  |

X X      -----  ----------

It would save a whole tile wide space.

At least, in my head.

@Amata start with TL;DR..

fences and gates can be bashed by anyone offdeed, only structure walls are protected, bridges and such(constructions with ownership).. until put in perimeter of a deed.. than you can not repair the walls and eventually decay will make you to leave if you even stick around for that long as any item in the perimeter will be on a decay-joyride

ps.. next time reinforce the walls.. use doughnut houses to have 'yards' outside of construction.. but within walls; bridge foundation pillars do not let people to walk through them.. if you build a bridge with many of these.. you'll have similar effect like house walls, unsure if just about anybody can bash bridges...

bashing things in wurm is not for me.. too much time watching a timer.. and I don't even give a .. what's on the other side of w/e's bashed to stick around for that long x yz

Edited by Finnn

41 minutes ago, Finnn said:

unsure if just about anybody can bash bridges...

I will say that is a "no".  I built a bridge, didn't like it, and couldn't bash it.

I like that you get some benefit from having a deeded area in the mine on freedom vs undeeded buildings everywhere. Encourages people to protect their stuff and invest in the game. In comparison on PVP someone can destroy the little cave building, unlike what is possible on freedom, so it doesn't impede things like deeding as it would on freedom. Therefore, having more inconvenience to squat on freedom seems reasonable.

you can just mine one tile extra, build the house/walls/whatever then strongwall to get rock walls up to a house/fence off deed, pointless restriction

normally building offdeed + f2ps wont be able to have access to a mag priest

somebody thought it's needed to 'create balance', most likely it's to prevent offdeed griefing right at tunnel entrances on 1st tile, it's still possible anyway.. but costs more time and resources with the current mechanics

16 hours ago, Shinso said:

I am not liking the mine settings for Freedom because u cant build houses  off deed unless a tile away from the walls while on PvP you can build houses against the walls - same with gates like i am really finding it kind of stupid how that works i think u should allow at least people to build gates in mines off deed. "Against Walls"

This is not possible on pvp either.

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you can just mine one tile extra, build the house/walls/whatever then strongwall to get rock walls up to a house/fence off deed, pointless restriction

This is not possible either, I tried that on old Elevation and it didn't let me strongwall next to a building. I doubt this has been changed.

Only thing you can do imo is deed the area you need, build the house/fences against the rockwalls; reinforce everything you don't want mined out/breached by others, Then disband again.

You will still need to repair everything regularly, including the offdeed minedoor.