Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Ways of re-tracing steps?

I haven't been using the community Xanadu map while exploring and ending up in an area I haven't been to before. I found something I want to get back to with a wagon, but I am not positive where exactly I am. Do any of you employ ways of retracing your steps? Medieval "flares", as they were? Something you already have on hand or could forage for?

• Like 1

Hey there i can share my experience in this area, when i loose things ill use this  and i follow the event logs, if u know what it was and where u can search trough the logs, hope it helps 😃

• Like 1

I do it the old-fashioned way.  I look for landmarks, compare with the map and generally try to get an idea of where I am on the map.  I move around the area a bit and take careful note of surrounding landmarks, so that if I can get back to the general area I can navigate to the spot I am looking for.  When moving away from the spot, I often look so that I can note what it looks like to be approaching it (rather than what it looks like to be leaving).  I kind of spiral out for a bit to learn the immediate area so I can easily recognize it.

Map-based navigation is a learned skill, though, so if you haven't had much experience with that it may be hard to start cold.  

If I am coming back very soon, I will built a little pen with a roundpole fence or crude wooden fence, as they are not particularly common and are easily seen.  I also light and fuel a campfire, for the smoke (maybe that is WU, do WO campfires smoke?).

Also, seriously, if you have the materials make pointer signs.

sometimes packing dirt tiles, like pack every 10th or 20th tile, as long as you can find one of them you can usually scout in a circle and find the next, then scout for the next... it does however require a shovel.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1