Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Wurm Arson - let us burn stuff made out of timber

I recently spent a lot of time tearing down a large-ish wooden building with a carving knife (with significant help from someone else and their carving knife).   The whole time I kept thinking how much easier it would have been to light it up and let it burn.  This would not be a terribly unbalancing mechanic on PVE, and on PVP could be managed, and might even be a bit interesting.

• Light a wooden building element the same way as a forge etc (i.e. with a steel & flint and some kindling).
  • Have the element start to take damage, and once the damage goes beyond say 25 or even 50 percent the fire would light any other building elements directly connected to the current one.
  • Any timber items sharing a tile with a floor element would be lit in a similar manner. 
  • An element can be snuffed with water (call it 10 litres for per element, for example).  

Use the same kind of mechanic for timber items, such as vehicles, furniture etc.

The important thing is that it is intentional damage/destruction, so it would be slow to light and slow(ish) to burn but very easy to extinguish.  On PVP, this would mean that it would take a very concerted effort to light a building or siege engine and protect the fire from being extinguished by defenders.

I know a few forest areas i like to burn down....

As for building you can just destroy from manage anyways .

The rest carts and such sounds good..

32 minutes ago, Damascus said:

As for building you can just destroy from manage anyways .

Mayors can.  Otherwise citizens have to be given "destroy any building", as far as I know, which is an awfully broad permission.  This would be limited to buildings and items which you would otherwise be permitted to bash.

Also, manage>destroy *poof* (is gone) is a pretty boring mechanic.  Efficient, but still boring.

Would be cool to launch flaming debris with a catapult. Would spice up raids. +1 from me!

• Like 1

I remember a story from back in the day that they tried something like this on one of the beta servers and the entire server ended up burning down. So fire that can spread is something to be very very careful with and probably not a great idea as the impact from even a small bug could be severe.

8 hours ago, Ecrir said:

I remember a story from back in the day that they tried something like this on one of the beta servers and the entire server ended up burning down. So fire that can spread is something to be very very careful with and probably not a great idea as the impact from even a small bug could be severe.

Yeah, I can envisage something like that.  That's why I would limit the spread to shared elements of the same building that share at least a corner and items that share a tile with a floor.  Wurm already knows how to tell the extent of a single building and how to tell if an object is inside or outside. 

10 hours ago, Ecrir said:

not hard.. to have source and range. for the effect.. 3x3 area only.. or something like that based on firemaking skill.. 

But this makes any wooden fence/wall on and offdeed useless.. which is not good
72751129.jpg

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

But this makes any wooden fence/wall on and offdeed useless.. which is not good

How so?  You could only burn what you could bash, so nothing is more at risk then is currently the case.  Also, fence panels are separate items with no real unifying identity, unlike a house plan.

Having a range limit would work well, though.

it's still doing 1 action to chain-destroy several constructions walls/fences that took somebody way more time to collect the resources and build it, not even putting QL into account which normally means a lot about how long something lasts.. logic will say .. wood ql1 or 100 burns all the same.. do you see the problem

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 1:21 AM, Finnn said:

it's still doing 1 action to chain-destroy several constructions walls/fences that took somebody way more time to collect the resources and build it, not even putting QL into account which normally means a lot about how long something lasts.. logic will say .. wood ql1 or 100 burns all the same.. do you see the problem

Yes, I can see an issue, but actually IRL the quality of the timber and/or item actually does have an effect on how easily something catches and how quickly it takes damage.  Rough-sawn will light easier and burn faster than DAR.  Gapped joins provide additional surface area and ventilation that tight joins do not.  The same goes for nail holes, splits, chips and heavy scratches.  Heavily weathered timber objects are much easier and faster to burn than well-maintained ones.  QL of materials and objects already affects the chance of a successful action - this could simply be an inverse of that, with higher QL reducing the chance of success. 

There wouldn't be any chain-destruction of fences.

It is already much less effort to bash down constructions than it is to build them, but bashing is already allowed.  

Limited spread would mean limited destruction, and an easy mechanism for that could be that a player-lit element could light an adjoining element of the same construction, but that is it - second-generation fires but no third-generation.  That means that the spread could not be more than 2x2 tiles; and only on a construction that a player would be permitted to bash anyway.  

Edited by TheTrickster