Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

If only Wurm Fine Carp was as much fun, right?

Outside of wurm I enjoy gardening.  I recently ordered a greenhouse and while it's too cold or raining to get that setup, a greenhouse must have racks or benches.  I have a two level garage, the upper level has a heated workshop, so perfect for winter woodworking.  Using construction brackets for strength and hiding most of it with trim I have built myself a Planter's Rack/Shelf.   Stair rails used for posts, I was hoping it makes it look nicer.  At this moment it's had wood putty applied to the corners to correct where a few warped board didn't quit fit right and to cover a few counter sunk screws in the side trim.  After I'll prime with Killz mold and mildew resistant primer.  I'm thinking of painting  the posts and trim/edges in white and the inner slats that make the shelves as a dark green.  Anyway, undoubtedly a few carpenters around here, so hopefully I don't get judged too harshly (I'm only 64.5 RL Fine Carp SKill).  I have crawled on the top and bottom shelves, both hold me with no issue and I'm around 155 pounds.  I'd rate it around 200 pound carry weight to be safe, but can't see myself ever loading it down that much.

72in L x 20in W x 35in H 

pyf11ns.jpg

This is a running list of images from the project, it'll get updated as I go along.

Plant Rack - https://imgur.com/a/XBgHW2s

Potters Bench - https://imgur.com/a/TcMGWHz

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 13

I've decided to varnish and poly it rather then paint.  Today I sanded over it twice, first with 120 the with 220 grit (it's just what I had on hand),  Only the trim edges and shelf tops of each tier were sanded, underside nope.  I have stained the entire piece in Midwax Golden Oak.  Atm it's drying and tomorrow I'll go back over just the trim and tops again with a second coat.  It'll be on to Polyurethane after.

ixMBJXR.jpg

• Like 2

I'm guessing 20 planks, 6 shafts, 5 small nails and at least 60 in Fine Carpentry.

• Like 4

Now that I have a place to set plants when I put together my greenhouse this March, I need a place to put things into pots, prune plants, etc.  What better then to build a matching Potters Bench!

Basic frame complete.  joining two banister rails posts together for an application they were never meant for, and to do it without even more hardware... wasn't as hard as I thought.  The 2x6 makes a perfect backstop as well as anchoring points.  I countersunk the screws on the sides and applied woodfiller.  Plan is to have a plastic bin/tote as a sink on the left and worksurface on the right.  If I get fancy I may inset the sink and make a removable portion of work surface so I can cover it for 100% work area if desired.  We'll see.

dQjf8ZL.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the Potter's Bench thus far.  This weekend I'm going to add a backboard to span between the two posts at the top.  It'll have hooks for tools and gloves and maybe some inspirational message on it too.

El1rxm5.jpg

• Like 3

I'd say that was 85 RL FC skill. Nice work! Did you turn those support beams on a lathe yourself? Oh never mind. I noticed you mentioned stair rails. Good repurpose!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fineal said:

I'd say that was 85 RL FC skill. Nice work! Did you turn those support beams on a lathe yourself? Oh never mind. I noticed you mentioned stair rails. Good repurpose!

I have a bit of lathe experience, if I ever find one at a garage sale I'll probably pick it up.  It's fun makingt your own custom patterns for projects,

I've finished my Potters Bench today after work, it turned out rather well I think :)    Now for some warmer weather to get started on the greenhouse kit I bought!

bWr2ZJf.jpg

Just a picture of them side by side with some plant stuff.

51ktXiO.jpg

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 4

That potting bench is amazing. Do you deliver? 🤣🤣🤣 Wagoner, perhaps?

• Like 1