Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Using Defiance for accelerated skill gains

So we have a unique system in place that can be leveraged for accelerated skill gains in at least a couple of areas.  I've struggled with posting bout this as it may make a lot of folks unhappy if something is ever done about it, but the current system seems very unbalanced as it is.

Priests - currently, your character can be two different priests.  One faith on NFI Freedom and another on Defiance.  In concept it is pretty cool.  In PvE, you may want to do some nice enchanting with a Vyn priest, but in PvP, Vyn's are probably not so hot in combat.  But the problem it creates is the ability for anyone to cross servers to drop their faith to 1 and swap to any god you choose.  This mechanic allows a priest effectively have a "1ql faith skiller tool", making it much easier to hit 70 for benediction than intended, with no penalty to a fully skill high channel priest.  My guess is nearly all pure pve players are unaware of this "feature".

In addition, this same mechanic allows a player to cross over from Defiance to Freedom (and visa versa), to swap faith quickly and painlessly, then go pray on any server for any of the Mag/Fo/Vyn/Lib ritual spells and soak up another 5hrs of SB.

Both of these "features" of crossing over benefit the character that solely plays PvE or PvP, but not the character that plays both, unless you aren't a priest and don't care about the faith bonuses.

Meditation - Yep, double gains if you swap between pve and pvp.

So what is my suggestion?  Well, if the system is kept the same, allowing for all the above to happen as is, then...

1. Remove faith level as a factor in how big of a skill tick you get from praying.

2. Allow every character, regardless of chosen god, to pray for SB gains at any altar - every ritual spell counts for everyone regardless of faith.  Does this sound really overpowered and completely devalue sleep powder? It should and it is what is already happening now, for those that know how to work the system.

3. Fix Meditation so the counters carry across the server crossing, or simply "fix meditation", which I still find to be one of the goofiest skilling systems ever created, but that is another topic entirely.

There may be other exploitable "features" of the NFI PvE to PvP crossing system that I am unaware of, but I am sure they exist.  The sooner we get them addressed the better the health of the NFI servers in the long run.  When the servers launched and people were able to take advantage of rapid server restarts for faith gains, plus leverage multiple links for channel gains, it created a massive imbalance/advantage to a select few, who were able to capitalize on it and make a fortune.  Things were adjusted to try and make a much more competitive environment.  For this current mechanic, I strongly urge making changes to level the playing field.  Otherwise in the long run, Defiance will become a place of prayer and meditation and that just sounds wrong for a pvp server.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

So we have a unique system in place that can be leveraged for accelerated skill gains in at least a couple of areas.  I've struggled with posting bout this as it may make a lot of folks unhappy if something is ever done about it, but the current system seems very unbalanced as it is.

Priests - currently, your character can be two different priests.  One faith on NFI Freedom and another on Defiance.  In concept it is pretty cool.  In PvE, you may want to do some nice enchanting with a Vyn priest, but in PvP, Vyn's are probably not so hot in combat.  But the problem it creates is the ability for anyone to cross servers to drop their faith to 1 and swap to any god you choose.  This mechanic allows a priest effectively have a "1ql faith skiller tool", making it much easier to hit 70 for benediction than intended, with no penalty to a fully skill high channel priest.  My guess is nearly all pure pve players are unaware of this "feature".

In addition, this same mechanic allows a player to cross over from Defiance to Freedom (and visa versa), to swap faith quickly and painlessly, then go pray on any server for any of the Mag/Fo/Vyn/Lib ritual spells and soak up another 5hrs of SB.

Both of these "features" of crossing over benefit the character that solely plays PvE or PvP, but not the character that plays both, unless you aren't a priest and don't care about the faith bonuses.

So what is my suggestion?  Well, if the system is kept the same, allowing for all the above to happen as is, then...

1. Remove faith level as a factor in how big of a skill tick you get from praying.

2. Allow every character, regardless of chosen god, to pray for SB gains at any altar - every ritual spell counts for everyone regardless of faith.  Does this sound really overpowered and completely devalue sleep powder? It should and it is what is already happening now, for those that know how to work the system.

3. Fix Meditation so the counters carry across the server crossing, or simply "fix meditation", which I still find to be one of the goofiest skilling systems ever created, but that is another topic entirely.

There may be other exploitable "features" of the NFI PvE to PvP crossing system that I am unaware of, but I am sure they exist.  The sooner we get them addressed the better the health of the NFI servers in the long run.  When the servers launched and people were able to take advantage of rapid server restarts for faith gains, plus leverage multiple links for channel gains, it created a massive imbalance/advantage to a select few, who were able to capitalize on it and make a fortune.  Things were adjusted to try and make a much more competitive environment.  For this current mechanic, I strongly urge making changes to level the playing field.  Otherwise in the long run, Defiance will become a place of prayer and meditation and that just sounds wrong for a pvp server.

Retro posted that they are looking into removing the impact of faith on prayer skill in the suggestion thread on this, also I'm a pure pve player and know this is how you grind prayer as do many other pve priests I've spoken to. 

The meditation does sound like it could be a problem.

• Like 1

i dont even get why they just dont keep all the skills the same.. like for someone who grinded fighting on defiance, but then went over to pve, he gets all skills transferred, even like 90 aggressive if he had, but his fighting is 1? lol. or a pve player who played on pve decides to try pvp, but after moving to defiance he realised his 80odd fighting is now 1 on pvp server? lmao.  the way it is now sounds very broken.. dont even have to start saying that you can be priest on pvp, but move to pve and grind the skills with ease that otherwise be blocked from grinding due to being a priest..  yet all this crap is not high priority, its so minimal impact devs think that they had to work on removing all the imbue benefits there were prio to adding useless now feature to the NFI lol

Edited by Skatyna

3 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Meditation cooldowns and prayer cooldowns cross between pvp and pve. 

additionally, faith transfers to another god are subject to the same cooldown as they are for any player on pve. 

Prayer skillgain is something that we are looking at, but the issues listed here are either already mitigated or incorrect.

• Like 2

Oh interesting.  I'd heard recently that you could double up on meditation if swapping between.  Maybe they were incorrect.

For prayer, not claiming the cooldowns on how many prayers a day for faith gains, but simply the prayer skill itself, in relation to size of skill ticks - which you say are being looked into and that is awesome :)  Thank you!

What is the cooldown on faith transfers?  6 months?  3?  A week?  If it is months, then I see no further need to look into it.  If it is days or just a couple weeks, then it is still a problem and allows folks to gain an advantage on SB.  Sadly I failed to find the cooldown in the Faith section of wiki.

1 minute ago, Wurmhole said:

For prayer, not claiming the cooldowns on how many prayers a day for faith gains, but simply the prayer skill itself, in relation to size of skill ticks - which you say are being looked into and that is awesome :)  Thank you!

skill tick magnitude isn't affected by faith level, its the frequency of said ticks

• Like 1