Sign in to follow this  
crimsonearth

Let us use beeswax to preserve things so we can use them as decor

There are a whole bunch of threads asking for various new decor items and me, personally, I'd love to see them all in game. But, I know there are other priorities right now and making entirely new things takes time and work when there's other work that more urgently needs doing.

Middle ground solution: pretty pretty please let us use beeswax to render an item functionally useless but without/with drastically reduced decay when on deed. Converting the item in this way prevents the mechanic being used as an exploit to get around decay on items, but means that we can make better/any use of some of the beautiful models the art team have created for us that never get seen.

For example:

• A couple of bales of waxed wheat can sit in an animal enclosure to make it look more farm-like
  • A waxed fruit pie can adorn a dining table as a centrepiece without vanishing in a couple of days
  • Archaeology finds in nice metals that will never be used can be waxed and put on display in a museum
  • Your very first weapon that you have a sentimental attachment to but will never use again can sit pride of place in your house
  • A fisherman's prized catch can be displayed on a shelf
  • A couple of books can be left by an armchair or on a side table in someone's cosy library
  • A basket (pile) of waxed fruit or vegetables can sit by a farmyard door
  • A marketplace deed can put different items of clothing or jewellery on display on counters and shelves (without needing to go and repair them every month or so)
  • Starter towns and newbie recruiting villages can be decorated in such a way that makes them look vibrant and alive and full of the possibilities of Wurm with examples of some of the systems and items that so rarely get 'seen' - like cooking, fishing, archaeology, even basic tools that you don't know exist til you make them or discover them, and so on and so on.

The effort and resources required to wax items should mean that it isn't so overused it creates a clutter problem for the server, it would give additional uses to beehives which are woefully underused, it would present a lot of legitimate new decor options for people who like to decorate without requiring a heavy load (or any load) of work for the art team to create new models and it would finally allow us to make good use of all the hard work already gone into making models of items than never get placed anywhere, in practice, because of decay.

Edited by crimsonearth
  • Like 17

+1

This game needs more decoration and this seems like a good start.

• Like 1

I think these are great ideas, though preferably as long as we can avoid the taxidermied creature silliness that hit WU where deeds all over the place were piled with preserved champion creatures...

+1

• Like 2

I think books shouldn't decay when dropped at all. IRL there are books that are 1000 or so years old. Books do not decay unless kept in bad conditions or eaten by something. 😉 

2 hours ago, Arronicus said:

I think these are great ideas, though preferably as long as we can avoid the taxidermied creature silliness that hit WU where deeds all over the place were piled with preserved champion creatures...

Why exactly it was wrong? I would love to have a nice collection of these on my marina. 

I thought this suggestion was going to be for taxidermy alone but this is much better than that single usage. I would give more than 1+ if I could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Platyna said:

Why exactly it was wrong? I would love to have a nice collection of these on my marina. 

A lot of deeds just had huge piles of taxidermied champs/uniques, which putting aside magic and other fantasy elements in the game, I think really detracted from any sense of immersion, and just looked kinda ridiculous. Obviously not everyone shares that opinion, but I thought it took away a lot more than it added.

46 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

A lot of deeds just had huge piles of taxidermied champs/uniques, which putting aside magic and other fantasy elements in the game, I think really detracted from any sense of immersion, and just looked kinda ridiculous. Obviously not everyone shares that opinion, but I thought it took away a lot more than it added.

I like the idea of using wax to preserve items used for decorations and I also share your opinion above. I think that in order make it a reasonable addition that some restrictions would have to be applied. Off the top of my head something like a display limit... kind of like the limits placed on how many animals can be cared for. This would not necessarily need to be a limit on how many waxies can crafted and stored, just a limit on those displayed (this would also help to mitigate the costs in lag). Animals could further be limited by requiring a large amount of wax and with a QL requirement. And a champion should require tons of high QL wax to the point of preventing seeing tons of them littering the landscape just in case someone wanted to use all of their wax slots for a dozen champs or something. Want to display a champ? Cool. Want to create your own version of the famous terracotta army? Not so cool.

Edited by Whane

+1 I'm always for more decor options and wax preserved decorations have been mentioned several times so there is an obvious desire for them. Also I would love to make more permanent flower arrangements for my fireplace mantles though I'm not sure meltable wax would work in that regard. 🤔

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 7:12 AM, Platyna said:

I think books shouldn't decay when dropped at all. IRL there are books that are 1000 or so years old.  Books do not decay unless kept in bad conditions or eaten by something.

A book IRL dropped on the ground would not last long at all.  IRL there are very few left of the books produced a long time ago, when the volume of volumes is considered.  Books decay quite badly unless very carefully preserved and kept in very carefully controlled conditions.  It doesn't take "bad conditions" to destroy a book; merely less-than-optimal conditions.  They need to be kept away from moisture, heat,  light, vermin (including  the microscopic), contact with living tissue.  Basically, read or display a book and you are contributing to its destruction.  Even in good conditions, time and physics work against the book.  I have worked with records that were mere decades old and already brittle, even though stored in a climate-controlled archive.

We could use more deco options so any suggestions in that area will get a +1 from me.

• Like 1

I really like this idea. 

Preserving an item could require the player inputted name. 

Maybe these preserved items would be more likely to generate a fragment when the deed disbands. 

I see a lot of decor ideas and here is one where the player is able to 'create' their own. Love it!

Now if only there was a way to create our own armor skins. 

• Like 1