Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Community heroes (NFI)

I will start by saying that I understand that uniques penning and private killings are totally legit, so I don't accuse the people doing it of breaking are rules or doing anything inherently bad.

I still think though that it's rather selfish when a certain group of people decide to do that for personal gains. Again, being selfish is not against the rules, just that it is... not nice.

In opposition we have those nice people that are acting selfless and are sharing their findings with the community as a whole and I decided to start an initiative to recognize their merits and give them the very unofficial title of "community heroes" (the very transparent condition for being listed here would be to have organized at least a public unique slaying and not participated in any private slaying).

So, without any further talking, here's the public list of community heroes that I have far now (please let me know if I missed anyone):

People that listed events:

- Battlewall

- Gofs

- Pnutp

Thank you guys! :)

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1

Elwood should go up there too as it was he who found the White Drakeling yesterday and proposed the public slaying. Pnutp should remain as a hero as he helped Elwood pen the drake. There are also far many more people who helped out but alas, I do not know  everyone’s name.

• Like 5

So many solutions available to encourage public slayings, many of which have been tried and executed in Wurm Unlimited with success. Yet none of these ideas make their way into Wurm Online. It's a shame, really.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

So many solutions available to encourage public slayings, many of which have been tried and executed in Wurm Unlimited with success. Yet none of these ideas make their way into Wurm Online. It's a shame, really.

This. It's also doubly a shame that the mechanics of imbues were on their radar for rebalancing, but Uniques have fallen completely under the radar while those give the stuff you need to make many of the imbues.

With regards to these accusations of “selfishness,” I’d suggest we all think twice before assuming we have any insight whatsoever into the character and motivations of people we’ve never spoken a single word to in game, much less IRL.  

As an example:  I might be tempted to assume that the next person who organizes a public slaying is doing so in hopes of being heralded here on the forums as a “Community Hero”—pretty clearly a “selfish” motivation.  But I’ll do my best to remember that, in reality, I have absolutely no idea what’s going on in the mind of some random stranger I heard about in a video game.

I found a dragon on my own.  “Found” is not really the right word though; “stumbled across” is more in line with the reality.  I've never actively searched for uniques, and on that day I was simply doing what I love to do most in the game:  exploring, i.e. riding around, alone, in a remote area, to see what I could see.  

You might call it a coincidence that I ran into that dragon, and in a way it was.  But at the same time, just as someone who spends many hours grinding a particular skill is rewarded with the ability to create a high quality item, one could make the case that on the day I found that dragon, the many hours I’d spent riding around remote areas (at the expense of grinding skills, I might add) had finally paid off—that in a sense I had earned it, along with the right to decide what to do with it.

I thought a great deal about whether to do a public or a private slaying, and a host of factors influenced my decision.  These were two of the most influential:

1) This would very likely be my one and only chance to take part in a private slaying.  I’m not now, nor have I never have been, nor am I ever likely to be part of a unique hunting group.  I didn’t want to regret passing up the opportunity.

2) Around the time I found the dragon, there was a post similar to the OP up on the forums, accusing the organizer of a private slay of selfishness.  I was afraid of being in that position, of being judged and maligned by people who had no real knowledge of me at all.  But I was even more reluctant to let my fear of being in that position dictate my decision.  Ironically, if that forum post hadn’t been up just at that time, I might have gone with a public slaying.

But I ended up doing it privately.  I have a great deal of respect for the fighters and priests who participated, for the amount of work they put in to get their skills to the point where they could handle such a formidable foe.  What reward does high FS bring?  Not much on PvE, especially if you don’t have butchering to go along with it.  Why should these highly skilled fighters be bullied into sharing one of their only rewards with others?  Do we accuse the player who spends hours grinding weapon smithing of being “selfish” for not giving away their high ql weapons to the rest of us, free of charge?  Is the player who spends hours skilling up a priest “selfish” if they don’t do free casts for others who haven’t put in the same amount of work?  

So anyway, that’s my unique story, the bare bones of it at least, the forest but not the trees.  Maybe I’ll do the trees another day.  :)

And if y’all still want to call me selfish, go right on ahead.  I won’t say I don’t care, because I do.  But I know for a fact that you’re wrong.

• Like 7
  • Cat 1

10 hours ago, Minnie said:

With regards to these accusations of “selfishness,” I’d suggest we all think twice before assuming we have any insight whatsoever into the character and motivations of people we’ve never spoken a single word to in game, much less IRL.  

But I ended up doing it privately.  I have a great deal of respect for the fighters and priests who participated, for the amount of work they put in to get their skills to the point where they could handle such a formidable foe.  What reward does high FS bring?  Not much on PvE, especially if you don’t have butchering to go along with it.  Why should these highly skilled fighters be bullied into sharing one of their only rewards with others?  Do we accuse the player who spends hours grinding weapon smithing of being “selfish” for not giving away their high ql weapons to the rest of us, free of charge?  Is the player who spends hours skilling up a priest “selfish” if they don’t do free casts for others who haven’t put in the same amount of work?  

While what you say sound very logical at first, if you think a bit more you'll realize that the examples you gave are completely different situations for the sole reason that pretty much all those other professions could be grinded by everyone simultaneously and your grinding/farming, doesn't limit in anyway my ability to do the same thing - as in if 100 different people want to grind weaponsmithing they can all do it.

In opposition, the uniques are a limited (although replenishable) resource. If you (and your group) pen and kill one, the other people can't do the same at the same time. So, at best, it becomes a race for resources or, at worst, a monopol of a (few) selected group(s).

See the difference? In this case your actions, limit my actions, because the resource is finite. Hence why I think it would be nice if anyone would have a chance to participate. Sure, gate it behind some kind of stats or skills requirements to make sure they do contribute if you want (btw, that kinda already exist, without 70 fs and 30 bs you're put in the leechers loot group), but allow everyone that matches said requirements to partake at the events.

Otherwise yeah, I call it selfish. Not illegal, not wrong, but just selfish.

Edited by Bloodreina

1 hour ago, Bloodreina said:

gate it behind some kind of stats or skills requirements to make sure they do contribute if you want (btw, that kinda already exist, without 70 fs and 30 bs you're put in the leechers loot group), but allow everyone that matches said requirements to partake at the events.

How will you know what skills people got ? you cant see it on them 

24 minutes ago, Maiya said:

How will you know what skills people got ? you cant see it on them 

Dunno... printscreens, niarja, live stream, whatever... really, that's just a technicality...

The idea is that with pretty much every other profession is enough to grind the skills/stats and succeed, while here that's no longer enough, but you also need to know the right people (and even that would only solve YOUR problem, not everyone's else problem)...

4 minutes ago, Bloodreina said:

but you also need to know the right people (and even that would only solve YOUR problem, not everyone's else problem)...

I think it been like that since first dragon appeard and wont ever change ....only if all those that want it public themself goes out and track those dragon and make it public 

(I never been at any slaying and proberly wont) 

23 hours ago, Bloodreina said:

(please let me know if I missed anyone)

me