Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Uniques penning and private killings

3 hours ago, Madnath said:

Because he doesn't and it's the same power held over any event ingame. There was even an admission that there was a player banned from the public event, but they can't really enforce it anyway. The host of any ingame event should have the ability to say who is or isn't welcome for whatever reason.

You'e banned from the 12 G title on pristine. 

3 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Because penning helps public slayings, private slayings don't need penning

That's very bad excuse to not fix content. Then, if "helping the public slaying" is needed so much, wurm team shoudl held public slaying events spawned by GM or something and leave the not bugged and non-explitabled dragons for the hunters

4 minutes ago, Tor said:

That's very bad excuse to not fix content. Then, if "helping the public slaying" is needed so much, wurm team shoudl held public slaying events spawned by GM or something and leave the not bugged and non-explitabled dragons for the hunters

"Penning dragons is bad" is an opinion and not a fact, and spawned uniques is a terrible idea. Your "idea" is already flawed because GM spawned uniques messes with natural spawning.

9 minutes ago, Madnath said:

"Penning dragons is bad" is an opinion and not a fact, and spawned uniques is a terrible idea. Your "idea" is already flawed because GM spawned uniques messes with natural spawning.

I am expressing my opinion here, it may or not happen to be fact.it's way better then bugged dragons and only if the "public slayins are needed so much". GM spawned uniquess messing with the natrual spwning should be fixed, if thats the biggest concern, then

Edit:  i was saying they shouldnt be possible to be penned, not if it's good or bad

Edited by Tor

5 minutes ago, Tor said:

I am expressing my opinion here, it may or not happen to be fact.it's way better then bugged dragons and only if the "public slayins are needed so much". GM spawned uniquess messing with the natrual spwning should be fixed, if thats the biggest concern, then

Edit:  i was saying they shouldnt be possible to be penned, not if it's good or bad

Dragons aren't bugged, they're working according to the coding and rules layed out for them.

GM spawning mobs for an event like a slaying sounds awful and puts extra work onto the plates of the GM team. Even if they just tell Stanlee to organise it and they'll show and spawn it, that's still a GM who has to make the time to be there and spawn something according to some random draw what gets put out for the slay.

Penning isn't the issue. Even if you remove the ability to pen them, nothing changes other than public slays don't work as well since there's no more ways to really claim them and keep them safe ready for the public event. And the easier and better it is to show and stake a claim on the dragon, is less time GMs have to spend worrying about them, and that means more time working on tickets to support players in more urgent need.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tor said:

Sure.. 'comforting reward' once a month... if you miss out on the x uniques spawning every month.. or half of them.. you might want to take a megapint of chilled water and join a gm-spawned or public slaying and whistle some comforting tune to calm down.. like that's content.. lets travel to be spoon-fed excitement for few seconds.

1 minute ago, Finnn said:

Sure.. 'comforting reward' once a month... if you miss out on the x uniques spawning every month.. or half of them.. you might want to take a megapint of chilled water and join a gm-spawned or public slaying and whistle some comforting tune to calm down.. like that's content.. lets travel to be spoon-fed excitement for few seconds.

You are pretty much describing the current public slayings

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Madnath said:

FACT is that most uniques are priv kills and that harms the community, and starves the majority of players of rare content drops and something to do.. besides the everyday chores.

If few fellas need a big bear to poke with sticks to brag and so on.. give them some other content that is not crippling the comminity, with still important drops.. but not the rarest armor and decorations in the game, it's a no-brainer fact.

2 minutes ago, Tor said:

You are pretty much describing the current public slayings

I know.. but I quit on trying to give ideas to people.. I just don't like sand thrown in other's eyes with uniques.. a bit too much fed up on random people.. lets not come up with names... but ..  the usual protectors of priv kills... some names that never pop in kill lists .. yet sworn protectors of the priv slayings.. paid actors.

Edited by Finnn

6 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Dragons aren't bugged, they're working according to the coding and rules layed out for them.

GM spawning mobs for an event like a slaying sounds awful and puts extra work onto the plates of the GM team. Even if they just tell Stanlee to organise it and they'll show and spawn it, that's still a GM who has to make the time to be there and spawn something according to some random draw what gets put out for the slay.

Penning isn't the issue. Even if you remove the ability to pen them, nothing changes other than public slays don't work as well since there's no more ways to really claim them and keep them safe ready for the public event. And the easier and better it is to show and stake a claim on the dragon, is less time GMs have to spend worrying about them, and that means more time working on tickets to support players in more urgent need.

There are around 9-10 people on payroll by ccab atm, it's easiest thing to do.. but this is just bleeding bandaid.. replacement of actual content fix. meh

5 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Good one, dragons aren't bugged.

So now you know the GM shouldn't and won't have time to do GM Stuff? Well okay, let me know more about GM and about their time, so we can suggest more stuff in there according to Gm time availible according to you

27 minutes ago, Finnn said:

FACT is that most uniques are priv kills and that harms the community, and starves the majority of players of rare content drops and something to do.. besides the everyday chores.

If few fellas need a big bear to poke with sticks to brag and so on.. give them some other content that is not crippling the comminity, with still important drops.. but not the rarest armor and decorations in the game, it's a no-brainer fact.

Most uniques are private kills is at best remotely a "fact". In NFI public and private are roughly at par. In SFI it would be hard to make all or even most slayings public, would dilute the fun, and exhaust slaying organizers. I recall well that we spot and penned a dragon roughly in the middle of the week, then decided to set the slaying date to the next but one weekend just because preparation was too much effort to be done in a few days. Of course, with a highly experienced team, and perfect infrastructure at a permanent slaying site like Stanlee's, it is somewhat easier. But not all slayings happen there.

To give some figures: There are typically 3 slayings per month in SFI at the moment, were even 4 to 5 for a while. That is already at a limit where players think about sailing or not. Number of slayings per month typically ranges around 12.

And why "some other content"? We have good armours already, some of them injustly underrated (chain for example). Trivializing the top armour is hardly an achievement, like any dumbing down.

Edited by Ekcin

if pub kills are fun.. and penning is a bother.. why do people dislike making a new mechanic for the spawn and kill of uniques...

curious stuff

rifts require no preparation.. you go and slap some crazy overpowered creatures.. and get zerged by same.. etc.. happens at mostly worst possible time and wastes all your spare time and nerves... but you have control over all that bother to do it or not, no spoon-feeding, everybody's happy... even if spawn times are... worst thing about it all, along with travel times..

I like the idea of changing how Uniques spawn and had hoped there would have been a change announced for the exploration update. Could even be something as simple as having a large beam of light appear where the unique spawns and people can rush to it to slay it. Then removing corpse loot and having it randomly giving out to players who took part orrr having a point system similar to rifts where you can buy unique loot. Idk... just a quick random idea I'm sure there are many different ways.

I think removing penning would cause more of a problem as slaying groups would just immediately kill anything they find which would mean no more public slayings (or at least far less). But I do not like how uniques can be perma penned like the one Bleu currently has had penned on Melody. I don't personally see an issue (with the current system in play) of penning a unique for a short period of time like a week in order to organise things for a slaying. I liked the ideas mentioned of having a unique caught underground for more then a month either die, disappear or pop to the surface.

As for the journals I really doubt there is anyone who has destinations unknown about to be finished and the only thing they need left is a scale set. At that point most people know someone they can message to borrow their set to throw on for the achivement.. or you'd think that at 5-6k skill points you'd have your own set by then. As someone said... this is endgame content which the game supports since you only need scale set in the journal at the very end.

Also just to make a few quick points, there are more then one slaying team active on NFI it is not just Sinnjinn's. Start of NFI was dominated by Bleu's team and then there have been private slayings from other groups such as Aleck or even by JK Defiance which happened on Melody yesterday. Sinnjinn's team has only killed 3 dragons in total and more often than not they keep finding humanoids which have all been public. I'm a little confused at why he is being bashed when nobody is complaining about other groups or SFI. Just seems like a few people have a personal dispute with Sinnjinn and are using this topic to "mud sling" rather then actually make suggestions to improve the current system for uniques.

Penning being a bother would just be your opinion. I've always found it fun and never a bother.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

I thought permanent penning were not possible anymore. And I wholeheartedly agree that penning is fun, especially when playing the bait and hoping to be  able to escape in time once the orb is thrown 😎.

Uniques can't mine if its a sideshaft that would be made so Bleu perma penned his blue hatchling by making a pen surrounded by sideshafts. It's been in that pen for over 6 months now.

Permanent penning is possible with maintenance

Perms penning is possible. Their blue drake hasn’t moved or blown out any tiles. You can clearly even see him underground from a nearby cave system.

Hm, maybe some caveins could happen there 😎, e.g. cavein likeliness of sideshaft hollows increasing by an order of magnitude when a dragon is nearby.

"The dragon (hatchling) tramples in anger. A cave collapses!"

Edited by Ekcin

I prefer the idea of having a unique pop to surface, die or vanish after being penned for X amount of time. Having more caveins could be troublesome. Several slayings are done underground especially when the unique throws the entire slaying is underground. Cave-ins are different to strongwall, they can happen with items or players on the same tile and when that happens not only does the player die but any items on that tile is also destroyed. Imagine players in a slaying (public or private) all getting wiped out by a cave-in and losing all of their pocessions. I think that would cause more issues. Also what if a pen was next to a deed? What if tiles on that deed collaspe destroying items.

Yes, you have a point here. Could still be possible that such caveins only occur with no living creature on the tile in question though. But granted, popping to surface, dying or despawning might be the better alternative. Generally, I admire the prowess of those inventing tricks to keep a dragon penned, but it is directly counter the intentions of the devs, and might be curbed.

Just a note to caveins, stuff is not necessarily destroyed. I mean a summon corpse still works, and I know that e.g. a crate rack on a caved in tile is destroyed, but not the crates inside it. I had such a case.

As to your latest answer: I agree.

Edited by Ekcin

Sadly I still think that it would cause more new problems then solving the initial one :( Not all players have karma for summoning back your corpse (think newbies at a public slaying or alts used for private slayings). Then you gotta think about potentially losing expensive horses and horsegear.

Having a unique pop to the surface after a month of being penned just seems like a way more simple solution that likely wouldn't cause new problems.

When I first started as a private slayer I thought the system was  a lot more broken then I do now....not to say there aren't' problems, but I think any discussion has to first pinpoint the problems.

IMHO the two main problems are:

1) The inequitable distribution of information.  So what do I mean by this?  A person who finds a Unique is in a much better position to find the next one then anybody else.  It's not that big of a problem when it's only one, but it compounds greatly if the same person (or group) finds 2 or 3 in a row.  Both the spawn timer, and the spawn location mechanic give huge advantages to those who know when and where previous spawns happened.  There are things we hunters can do to minimize this advantage, but it still exists, and is probably the main reason it can be so hard for people to enter the world of Unique hunting.  And even getting some of the information about the spawn timer and spawn locations mechanics can be REALLY difficult.  The information is out there, but it's not easy to find. And on top of all of this, we never know when a Unique spawns, only  when the window is open.   The reason I've mentioned a few times above about spending SO much time hunting, is that the vast majority of the time you're searching, it hasn't spawned yet.  I'm not suggesting they should be easy to find, but SOMETHING to help know when they have spawned would reduce the barrier of entry into Unique hunting.  Maybe something as simple as increasing the chance of the spawn at every window?

2) Uniques don't ever die.  this one is pretty simple, and I think pretty simple to fix.  Simply have Uniques capable of dyeing due to age or starvation just like any other mob.

Also, while I would love to know with a little bit more precision when they spawn, I would love to see the areas they spawn in greatly increased.  would add more fun to the hunt, especially knowing that hunt is less likely to be a complete waste of time.

In general, I would be in favor of a complete rework of the system.  I once read a post shown to me by Stanlee about changing the system from an extremely limited resource that everyone fights over, to an extremely rare unlimited resource.  the general idea was similar to treasure maps.  you find fragments of a map while out hunting mobs.  when you have enough pieces you put it together and 'find' the location of a dragon.  So person (or group) A killing  a dragon has no effect on person' (or group) B's fragments and ability to find and kill a dragon.  This also redefines public and private slays in a nice way.  A 'public' slay would be 100 or so people getting together and all contributing the 2 or 3 fragments they have.  A 'private' slay would be 10 to 15 people all contributing the 20 or 30 fragments they have.  Nobody is 'taking away' from anybody else.  Of course you would need to make the fragments rare so as not to flood the cluster with Uniques, but that could easily be monitored and adjusted until you dialed it in

Edited by Sinnjinn
fixed a typo
  • Like 5