Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Source Solution - Thoughts

So, it has finally come at last!

The solution to penned and deeded source fountains!

5 hours ago, DevBlog said:
  • Change: Source Spring Rework
    • Source springs will now respawn periodically around servers with a finite amount of source.
    • Springs disappear once the source is collected from them.
    • Current source springs and fountains will also stop regenerating source in them and will disappear once empty of source.
    • Underground source springs that spawn upon breaking cave walls will now spawn more often.

What are your thoughts on the solution; if you think it was a poor one what do you think should have been done instead?  If you don't think a solution was needed at all, how would you justify 1x1 penned source huts?

I'll go first: My thoughts are that this fix is going to really depend on a few things - How often the springs appear and their spawning patterns (are we going to see them only crop up in cliffside forests, in which case Xanadu is screwed!), how much source they contain (are they worth hunting for?), and how much of a spawn buff have "uncovered" springs been given (and how is this going to impact people who main Vyn Priests who cannot mine!).

Overall, I must confess to a lack of optimism here as spawning is a tricky business, especially with wurm!

My optimal solution would have been far simpler - If a fountain is in building or on a deed it does not regenerate source.  However, this would not have solved the issue (I had not considered it before) of source fountains in locked in mines.  So maybe I need to rethink that.

Edited by Etherdrifter

Sounds like a great rework which will promote and reward exploration.

Will take some time in game to see the actual results of course.

• Like 7

The easiest solution:

Apply a non-deedable, non-buildable 15x15 area around the source spring.

That way they're accessable to everyone.
- Disadvantage,  they won't spanw on or near deeds.

Solution #2: Let them spawn at deeds only.
That way,  each and every player owning a deed got it's own private source spring.
- Disadvantage: deeds with multiple villagers will need to share and I doubt that's going to work out well if someone isn't online for a while.

Solution #3: Spawn source springs in a starter town only. Or perhaps have a source merchant in a starter town; with a cooldown timer when consuming the source.
- Disadvantage: not everyone is willing to travel long distances to starter towns for "some" source.

Thorin :) 

I don't mind the changes. I think that the more we can encourage people to go out and explore the better the game can be. The way I view them, they could be like the meteorites that drop, you can find them at random while out traveling and exploring. They have a limited amount of resources and then that location is gone. The issue comes in with balance. Don't make them so rare that no one can ever find one, or so plentiful that people just pass them up. More reasons to get people out into the wild and seeing the beauty that Wurm offers is a good thing!

• Like 4

Despawning and random respawns - fine, but it really should check accessibility in some ways. Perhaps no higher than [x] dirt above water level.

Or alternatively, give them slow decay, similar to mob lairs, so they'd poof in a while and respawn somewhere else.

Also, more karma use options in PvE would be nice. Everyone keeps asking for portals of all kinds, and since there's already town portal, why not add Starter Town Portal, or Teleport to Rift, or heck why not even Teleport to Friend. Just examples, doesn't need to be anything teleporty, but we have this nice "currency" that is karma and nothing really to do with it, other than summoning worgs for "cool points"...

• Like 1