Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 29/DEC/20

4 minutes ago, Ajala said:

So I didn't just piss away my money getting my sickle runed?

you did

So now source springs do not regenerate source over time anymore?

3 hours ago, DevBlog said:
    • Current source springs and fountains will also stop regenerating source in them and will disappear once empty of source.

There it is!  I knew I had something bad coming!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

To clarify:

These changes only apply to mining and woodcutting

All other activities have the same mechanics they always did 

So just wondering, why did just those two get trampled to mud, but 100ql apples and oats are still a thing. Feels a very politically bribed nerf. There's now a group of people with 5319 crates of 100ql logs and lumps and they will be the sole market suppliers for years to come?

I agree that gathering nerf was long time coming, but it should've been like 50% and not down to mud and useless.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Shmeric said:

So just wondering, why did just those two get trampled to mud, but 100ql apples and oats are still a thing. Feels a very politically bribed nerf. There's now a group of people with 5319 crates of 100ql logs and lumps and they will be the sole market suppliers for years to come?

I agree that gathering nerf was long time coming, but it should've been like 50% and not down to mud and useless.

As I understand, 100ql apples etc are history as well unless you are 100 in forestry.

Also are those source spring changes only affecting spring or also fountains?

1 minute ago, Idlamn said:

Also are those source spring changes only affecting spring or also fountains?

both, tested already. I see a few deed disbands coming in. Even more available locations to build on the old servers.

Edited by Jaz

1 minute ago, Ekcin said:

As I understand, 100ql apples etc are history as well unless you are 100 in forestry.

Well, then it's really confusing, since Retro just wrote that the changes only applied to mining and woodcutting :)

Just now, Shmeric said:

Well, then it's really confusing, since Retro just wrote that the changes only applied to mining and woodcutting :)

Those were the imbue changes. There are no forestry imbues.

5 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

There's now a group of people with 5319 crates of 100ql logs and lumps and they will be the sole market suppliers for years to come?

Shh!  You're not supposed to reveal those plans!

Like the folks with barrels full of source stocked away, you're not supposed to reveal it...

2 minutes ago, Jaz said:

both, tested already. I see a few deed disbands coming in. Even more available locations to build on the old servers.

I have yet to see a deed for the sole purpose of a fountain on spring.

The ideea itself is not bad, will get people exploring more. However I really would have preferred they let them as permanent sources and added a sort of source cache that has this behavior. Maybe I grew too attached to my source springs :).

Just now, Idlamn said:

I have yet to see a deed for the sole purpose of a fountain on spring.

The ideea itself is not bad, will get people exploring more. However I really would have preferred they let them as permanent sources and added a sort of source cache that has this behavior. Maybe I grew too attached to my source springs :).

Actually I'm disbanding a deed on this change - it was really not a source-only-deed but it was the last reason why it still existed. But yes my comment was planned to be more a sarcastic one pointing back to all the same reactions on all changes :)

The game that keeps on giving and the team that keeps on taking....

Dam i love Wurm...

• Like 3

Regarding source springs:

Perhaps people shouldn't point at the Dev's about this, but to those players who build 1x1 houses with 99ql walls and a locked door around any source spring in a public place they could find.
I know there's a player at Xanadu who "owns" at least 6 source springs that way and even regretted that at some point a team I was part off managed to protect a source spring by making a highway run over it.

It's unfortunate that those of us who do have a source spring at deed are the victims of the greedyness of others; but in a way this is something we could've seen coming a long time, as the greedy behaviour of some players has been mentioned often enough in both Freedom and GL-Freedom.

It's not the first time in the 5+ years I'm playing that I've seen how the greed of a small group of players destroyed the enjoyment of a much larger group of players in this game and I doubt it'll be the last time. Unless some players change their behaviour, but I doubt that'll happen. So I'll expect more nerfs coming up in the next couple of years. And most likely much to the dismay of some players.

Thorin :) 

• Like 5

Well I can say that my dedication for the game has got a blow. I liked mining a lot and still do. But having it crippled that badly hurts. I shall miss forestry, but it is hard to see that I shall grind up 6 or 8 levels only to get what has been taken. Given that forestry is slow paced I may give it up. And the idea of giving up Wurm has at least come closer.

Edit: I agree to Thorin about the source nerf which never really concerned me, but this source hut habit was disgusting. I disagree somewhat about that greed stuff as it cannot be expected that everyone refrains from using a possibility, greed or not. It would have been brighter to create a protection similar to highways, of 1 or 2 tile nobuild around a source tile, source "huts" requiring 16 or even 24 walls to enclose a source spring.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 4

worst update that could be

Edited by AlexeySt
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

There it is!  I knew I had something bad coming!

another slap in the face un needed downgrade

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Regarding source springs:

Perhaps people shouldn't point at the Dev's about this, but to those players who build 1x1 houses with 99ql walls and a locked door around any source spring in a public place they could find.
I know there's a player at Xanadu who "owns" at least 6 source springs that way and even regretted that at some point a team I was part off managed to protect a source spring by making a highway run over it.

It's unfortunate that those of us who do have a source spring at deed are the victims of the greedyness of others; but in a way this is something we could've seen coming a long time, as the greedy behaviour of some players has been mentioned often enough in both Freedom and GL-Freedom.

It's not the first time in the 5+ years I'm playing that I've seen how the greed of a small group of players destroyed the enjoyment of a much larger group of players in this game and I doubt it'll be the last time. Unless some players change their behaviour, but I doubt that'll happen. So I'll expect more nerfs coming up in the next couple of years. And most likely much to the dismay of some players.

Thorin :) 

I liked them being a permanent reward for exploring. Never seen it as greed: you explore, you find them and you claim them (if you want). It was a unique mechanic of the game. The change makes them more like treasure chest kind of thing.

The only issue I saw with the old mechanic it was that the older Wurm players would deplete all oportunities for newer players to find a source of source. As a greedy person with 3 huts outside my deed, I can say this wasn't the case for me, as I've been playing on freedom only since last december or so.

The change also doesn't bother me that much. It just changes the gameplay a bit. I liked the way they were more, because it was a more interesting mechanic, but if it was found to be too much of a problem for people then the new mechanic is also ok.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 1

People build huts on source springs because if they didn't, other people will. Simple as that. I had two, but I had to wait many years before I got the opportunity.

• Like 1

Please note this information is only accurate as of the time it was posted on an entertaining side note, 74ql tile, 100 mining, 100pot rare pick with gather rune, gives 82ql ore

• Like 1

I'm reading in chat that the rifts on North Freedom have apparently already opened, with no notice? Seems very unfair for people who didn't happen to be online at the time?

Please bring all gathering skills into line IE mining/forestry/wc/farming. If you will not allow 100ql items, then allow 99.99ql for folks with 100 skills. To selectively allow folks to gather 100ql items~ because they were in an unaffected "gathering" field is very unfair.

• Like 2

With 99.999 mining and a supreme pick with max imbue and a gathering rune, QL99 tiles are yielding QL99.58 shards. QL98 tiles were maxing out at QL98.91 or so.

The practical effects of this change are that QL100 ore no longer exists, and we've gone from the majority of tiles being worthless to almost every single tile being worthless. With imbues and runes like they were, QL75 and higher tiles still had value at the high end because they would yield QL100 ore. With today's update, only the exceedingly rare QL99 ore tiles can yield QL99 ore, resigning everything at QL20-98 to grinding characteristics, grinding the mining skill itself, or mass-produced fodder like iron for ribbons and pans.

This also puts all metalworking improving skills in a place where you can't properly grind them to legendary skill. Normal sweetspotting falls off at ~99.99, since you hit a point where QL loss from repair outpaces the miniscule QL gains from improves, but that at least gets you halfway there. With metal going no higher than 99.58, you'll have to swap to slower grinding methods at 99.45 skill. Smithing skills without wooden items to bonk on are going to suck that much more, now.

This also means that items like whetstones can't pop out at QL100 anymore.

Smiths really got it bad in this update.

Edited by Noizhead
  • Like 15

Sign in to follow this