Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Imbue rework formula

Hi all,

In today's update, we're reworking how imbues and runes affect the resulting quality for woodcutting and mining:

Gathering Runes add +10% to the base quality, but that is capped at your skill level.
Imbues now add a bonus of up to 25% of the difference between the result quality and 100 at 100 imbue power. This can exceed your gathering skill.

The rune bonus is applied before the imbue bonus.

To assist with this, we've shared the below information:

The formula for determining the resulting QL is: 

base QL + ((100-base QL) * ((Imbue power / 100) / 4)

This is outlined in this graph available here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10akDYPouIPWjcd-UAQ9-n1Jrv1KU0u2MvgqXlBoIOkY/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2

So, just to be clear if I'm reading this right:

Gathering rune: if you have 60 woodcutting, you'll still only be able to cut 60ql felled trees, but whenever you cut down a tree, if it was going to be 45, then it would be 49.5ql, and if it was 58, it would be 60ql

Imbues: 60 woodcutting, cut down a tree, 45ql base cut, 100 imbue power = base + [(100-45)*0.25] = 58.751, whereas on the 58 it would be  base + [(100-58)*0.25] = 68.5

Bit of a rough nerf, but eh, at least now people who have spent the time to really hammer out high skill won't have those last 9 or 10 levels replaced by a gather rune.

fixed typo

Edited by Arronicus

i have 100 skill in all 3 gathering skills, completely unaffected by it and i think this is bad still lol

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

So, just to be clear if I'm reading this right:

Gathering rune: if you have 60 woodcutting, you'll still only be able to cut 60ql felled trees, but whenever you cut down a tree, if it was going to be 45, then it would be 49.5ql, and if it was 58, it would be 60ql

Imbues: 60 woodcutting, cut down a tree, 45ql base cut, 100 imbue power = base + [(100-45)*0.25] = 48.75, whereas on the 58 it would be  base + [(100-58)*0.25] = 68.5

Bit of a rough nerf, but eh, at least now people who have spent the time to really hammer out high skill won't have those last 9 or 10 levels replaced by a gather rune.

45ql base means 58.75, not 48.75 

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

45ql base means 58.75, not 48.75 

Bleh, 3am mental math, thanks! 

I think that that is a good change for the Runes.

Gather skill Imbues on the other hand, doesn't feel worth it on the high end and they're way too expensive for the mid and low range of skills. To me it feels like a mismatch between effort and reward there, it's like it's aimed at low-mid skilled characters, but at that skill range you're far better off investing in enchants and high ql tools instead of in way too expensive bloods/imbues.

So no, not convinced at all that those are worth it, it mostly leaves me wondering who these imbues are for. What is the target audience for this feature?

How does this formula work for Weaponsmith/Armorsmith imbues and those like it?

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 2

So with my runed sickle, I get absolutely nothing anymore? Because you gather at your skill level anyway without the RNG that woodcutting and mining have. Or were those two skills the only ones actually considered in this nerf?

• Like 3

Just realized after a discussion in Alliance chat, what are gather runes going to do on sickles and scythes? The ql of the stuff you gather is already at skill level with farming and forestry, so those runes now do nothing? Is that intended, or an oversight?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tor said:

Isn't it better to remove imbues after this

Imbues will provide a massive boost to average quality, and continue to allow you to harvest more at your skill level than without. 

They just won't allow you to completely ignore skill level. 

this change makes skill more valuable in the equation, and rewards higher skill grinding rather than becoming secondary after hitting 70ish 

This feels like a big central finger to legacy players for having older toons. Furthermore, it's not like forestry and gardening had these imbues to stack to make it game breaking. We got a small boost. Now we have useless runes. We already gather at our skill level.

• Like 7

Just now, Seriphina said:

This feels like a big central finger to legacy players for having older toons. Furthermore, it's not like forestry and gardening had these imbues to stack to make it game breaking. We got a small boost. Now we have useless runes. We already gather at our skill level.

I do understand that, as someone with a lot of runed and imbued tools as well. It's a change that has had to happen for a long time (indeed we spoke about it being on the agenda with the discussion about imbues within NFI). The resulting numbers still give a strong boost to mid-ql, but no longer an absurd boost to end ql 

As for the runes, you can then change the runes to other things, such as improved usage speed or reduced damage 

Is Retro a dev now? Shouldn’t this thread be done by someone who is?

So, the imbue will take into account 10% skill bonus from glimmer fo rune for the max output? Kinda unsure how will that work

Just now, LionIX said:

Is Retro a dev now? Shouldn’t this thread be done by someone who is?

I'm on the development team, and I am speaking on behalf of them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I do understand that, as someone with a lot of runed and imbued tools as well. It's a change that has had to happen for a long time (indeed we spoke about it being on the agenda with the discussion about imbues within NFI). The resulting numbers still give a strong boost to mid-ql, but no longer an absurd boost to end ql 

As for the runes, you can then change the runes to other things, such as improved usage speed or reduced damage 

Can we please finally choose which perk we wanna dispel from the tools then?

EDIT: Because.....

[14:52:57] Wind of Ages has been cast on it, so it will be quicker to use. [95]
[14:52:57] A bronze rune of Libila has been attached, so it will gather resources at a higher quality level (10%)
[14:52:57] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [86]
[14:52:57] It has been smeared with a potion of mining, so it improves Mining max QL [98]

And you always can remove from top to bottom only

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

So the bronze rune of Libila has just become absolutely useless for everything but mining. I'm sure this was all well thought out LMAO

• Like 3

no change to the fact that veins are't all 100ql, basically this means that any vein under around 87ql is useless for 90+ ores now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jospicy said:

no change to the fact that veins are't all 100ql, basically this means that any vein under around 87ql is useless for 90+ ores now?

Gives those rare veins chance to be sold once again

Am I correct in thinking this means that you can get 90ql ore from a 76ql vein at 90 skill? Can you clarify the calculation order of rarity(tool) rarity(action) imbue and rune?

Edited by Lethyria

I can't believe you're making gather runes worthless for forestry.

• Like 6