Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Imbue rework formula

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Absolutely, when you could ignore gaining skill past 75 and just rely on imbues (which gavbe a 25% bonus to ql) it reduced any point of raising skill beyond showing off. 

TIL average ql, timer length, slope variance when mining rock, harvesting rift mats and characteristics are all just government conspiracies

is creation our next nerf since you can make 99ql stuff at 1 skill if you spam enough of them

@Retrograde @Skatynais right. Woodcutting imbue costs 30-40s. It took me 5 months to collect. Now I have 0,5g worth hatchet and 0,5g worth pickaxe that is as good as 5s one.  Seriously...

Edited by Platyna

28 minutes ago, Platyna said:

@Retrograde @Skatynais right. Woodcutting imbue costs 30-40s. It took me 5 months to collect. Now I have 0,5g worth hatchet and 0,5g worth pickaxe that is as good as 5s one.  Seriously...

and you'll see less low quality results vs a regular hatchet. 

Also skatyna is not fully correct, any 91+ql vein can product 100ql ore, runes allow ignoring the vein quality up to the skill, it just means you need to be 100 skill to get 100ql. 

Skill matters above all else now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Well this doesn't matter much, it had a point when you could get something higher than your skill lets you. 0,5 g isn't worth it at all. Putting your butt on the boat or hiring a prospector to simply look for a better vein costs a negligible fraction of this. I am 70+ masonry, I need QL70+ shards to function normally, and now me, a new player is even more dependent on old, rich big fish.

In my case my tunnel project and mine anxiety saved me - I long time ago made several deals with high level miners to remove my veins, but those who didn't - hell I am surprised they are not angrier, and not surprised they do howl so loud that the moon cracks. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

@SkatynaJust save your breath.. it goes to deaf ears like every single time someone tries to explain/give ideas to the team.. they just do how they see fit no f...s given. Customer service? whats that? must be something to eat :) 

i might shoot my self to leg here, but why was only mining + woodcutting imbues so game breaking? whats the reasoning behind others?

• Like 2

To attempt a visual explanation of why people are mad.. Here is the current comparison between the old imbue and previous imbues.

WCsSro7.png

People don't have an issue with 1-80. People have an issue with 80+.

9QKZXbl.png

What you need is a function that works better than the old imbues at early levels, but worse at higher levels. One already exists that could accomplish this goal. The epic curve.

iwDFRK2.png

This isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than what was put out there. Beyond that, if you had actually taken the months of time to actually consider your options and spent even a single day crunching numbers to figure out the math you wanted, you could have come up with a function to easily match whatever you were actually looking to achieve instead of the released linear progression which is just a slap in the face to everyone. Some examples using the method f(x) = ((x/100)^b)*100 where x is skill and b is a value to determine the strength of the curve.

EsgU5ip.png

This function is outrageously simple. Divide by 100 to get a value less than 1, power to a variable 0-1 to get a higher value that remains less than 1, then multiply by 100 again. This took mere minutes to think of. To me, the function b = 0.5 is very similar to the progression by the new formula, but offers better results towards the end. Here they are overlayed:

mHUiKEF.png

Now this isn't perfect, but this at least allows 80QL veins to offer 90QL ores. The results towards the end are roughly doubled and offer about a 50% increase towards 100 instead of the existing 25%. Meanwhile, it doesn't break the game and allow people with 20 skill to mine 60QL ores in the event of a linear function. Its most potent application grants +25QL at early points in the progression.

TLDR: The new formula is overly simplistic and does not actually solve the problems properly. Instead, it's an underhanded mega-nerf at those who have invested in imbues in the past and spent their time grinding their skills to make the most use of them. Meanwhile, the people who benefit the most from the new formula are those at early skill levels who, quite frankly, don't have imbues in the first place.

Edited by Sindusk
Grammar
  • Like 23

2 hours ago, Themystrix said:

@Skatyna

i might shoot my self to leg here, but why was only mining + woodcutting imbues so game breaking? whats the reasoning behind others?

Because the imbues combined with the runes gave a significant advantage leading to devaluing the skill those who had actually grinded high. 

High skills reward high ql output

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Also skatyna is not fully correct, any 91+ql vein can product 100ql ore, runes allow ignoring the vein quality up to the skill, it just means you need to be 100 skill to get 100ql. 

Skill matters above all else now. 

But you surely know Retro just like we know, that pretty much none care about 10-60QL anymore.

I left a warning earlier that if it continued to be harassment we'd close this, and unfortunately that warning has not been heeded. 

There are lessons to take from here, this should have been shared earlier and given time to adjust, and we will continue to work with that in mind. 

That said, these are the numbers that are staying, I understand many might be disappointed at that fact, but ultimately this game is not a solo game, if you cannot provide 100ql materials for yourself perhaps you could find someone to trade with. 

Thank you for those who did provide constructive feedback, we'll continue to aim to work with you all in the future.

• Like 1