Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Starting town beam.

That Santa Claus beam gave me an idea - a lot of new players on Steam complained they got lost. How about we have a permanent beam showing starter towns emerging from their token? Let's say something like rift but blue or green or the one it is now? 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

Just now, Nomadikhan said:

Maybe tie it in to the Newbie buff?

Great idea, tbh. The newer ones are 99% of those asking for navigation help. While they follow the beam, the rest of us can inform them of the highway system!

Yea.. "we need more disco balls and lights of all colors in the sky.." just for the people who wont care to take a clue where they are or which direction they have taken.. or are just unable to track their movement back to return where they started from, being own deed or starting town, either way currently there's "/suacide" or karma teleport for that or asking somebody to summon you to a close known location.

Plenty of solutions.. as we are, as for common ca-help questions.. helpers probably have an idea what is most often or often enough asked in there, and could form some sort of feedback to devs.. 

I wonder why that have never turned into a practice to collect "feedback" and improve the game.

If it's really an issue.. wurm could adopt the WU solutions with map coordinates, location sharing - pinning exact position and sharing it in chat, etc..

• Like 1

It doesn't need to be a disco ball, can be made out of white clouds. ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaclyn said:

Platyna, love ur black kitty icon ❤️ 😁

Thanks, it is like 20 years old. 😉 

Good idea but only if its toggleable or tied to noob buff. I Wouldnt want such beam to ruin good screenshots.

• Like 2

has to be a 1 off hit the button timer activated ,i dont want any thing in the sky except rift beams and the coloured ones for special occasions,and birds

14 hours ago, Ame said:

Good idea but only if its toggleable or tied to noob buff. I Wouldnt want such beam to ruin good screenshots.

Yes, should togglable if it was made from little white clouds it would be not so brutal to the sky. :) 

15 hours ago, Platyna said:

Yes, should togglable if it was made from little white clouds it would be not so brutal to the sky. :) 

Something like these? 🤔
1809a1da84f1d4a8f309ccf6707f7eb1.jpg

• Like 2

As Nomadikhan suggested, only if tied to Newbie buff. Definitely shouldn’t be a forever thing.

• Like 1

Either keep it as a newbie buff or make it a simple checkbox to disable it. I would get really annoyed with it in the sky all the time.

24h newbie buff seems bit short to me. Maybe deactivating once the first skill hits 10.

Should be a 1 or 2 week buff.  I know when I started out the most scary thing was to go and explore because you thought I'd get lost and can't make it back to starter deed.  With a beam at least have a direction to head back to so not afraid to wonder around looking for a place to deed.

So, I think considering getting lost a problem to be solved is the wrong starting point.  Of course newbies will get lost, that can be a good thing.  I still at least get disorientated, if not actually lost, all the time in Wurm.  The road to discovery and adventure is no road at all.

10 hours ago, Ekcin said:

24h newbie buff seems bit short to me. Maybe deactivating once the first skill hits 10.

That's 24 hours of playtime, meaning likely longer than hitting 10 in a skill 

30 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

That's 24 hours of playtime, meaning likely longer than hitting 10 in a skill 

Good point. But: Not few casual players do not hit 10 in that time. Maybe 24hrs playtime, and if not hit til then, 10 skill.

Maybe give a starter item of some sort which tells them rough direction and distance, like other locators.  Have it take damage with use fairly quickly after the first x days.  Not a beacon but an orientation tool.

How about showing their position on the map? /s 

Really, like TheTrickster said, getting lost is just part of Wurm. I can sign up to the starter beam during the newbie buff, but anything more begins feeling very contrary to the spirit of Wurm. A starter town beam would even give a bit of an intro to the use of beams in general in Wurm. But I think we need to be very careful about too much handholding.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been in the tutorial, so I don’t know if this is already in it — but maybe some actual instruction on the use and importance of the compass, /time, and mountains and the sun to orient you. 

A couple of non-timed suggestions that would help newbies and oldies alike:

Add a visual cue for the time to the compass. Really, if we can /time and get the exact time immediately, why not add something visual to the compass, similar to the day/night cycle shown by minecraft’s clock. I easily lose track of time when hunting/exploring and stop often to /time to take care I don’t get caught in a strange place at night. Not to mention going into my mine to work during the night and forgetting to /time to know when it’s time to head out the next morning.

And finally, why can’t the sun rise in the east and set in the west? I have to say this was my biggest obstacle in learning to orient. I didn’t even realise at first it wasn’t east-to-west! But even once I did, I still I found myself pausing to let the compass settle more often than necessary, just because I couldn’t get my head to accept it and I needed to double-check. I appreciate this could be controversial, as some may have planned deeds according to the rise and setting of the sun. But, really -- we expect players to orient themselves, but when newbies do it by what they 'know' to be the path of the sun, they obviously get lost and confused when it doesn't match the compass.

Edited by Calan
  • Like 1

Make it a craftable beacon that is only visible to you. When they start require them to plant a beacon that they spawn with before they journey onward.

Edited by Wurmfarm

On 12/28/2020 at 1:14 AM, Nomadikhan said:

Maybe tie it in to the Newbie buff?

It is absolutely necessary that it is tied to the newbie buff. Otherwise it gets way easier to navigate.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:29 PM, Finnn said:

Something like these? 🤔
1809a1da84f1d4a8f309ccf6707f7eb1.jpg

Exactly, bring them on!