Sign in to follow this  
Antony

Hunter, Tracking subskill

You're out having a cheeky time with the boys when suddenly you see something in the grass ahead.

It's animal tracks. 'omg omg omg, guys-guys-gusy' you exclaim in excitement.

You majestically mouse over the grass and fondly click your mouse to track.

[19:03:33] Tracking increased by 0.08008135 to 69.1337420

[19:03:33] Hunting increased by 1 to 2

[19:03:33] The tracks lead in front of you to the right or something, idk

You and your merried men dance a little jig through the forest, tracking the ... tracks, until off in the distance you spot...

On 12/22/2020 at 5:47 PM, Gawain said:

Ferrets

On 12/24/2020 at 2:55 AM, Nomadikhan said:

Don’t forget saber tooth’s!!

On 12/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, Nordlys said:

Mammoths! We need mammoths. Big, furry mammoths, as tough as drakes!

On 12/22/2020 at 3:58 PM, Moxie said:

Hedgehogs. Please be hedgehogs.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:31 PM, NeeNee said:

Mammoths AND Pandas!

As your hunting skill increases you begin finding tougher and tougher foes, reaping greater and greater treasures.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.

It gives hermits a reason to get into combat.

It's a more enjoyable way of training tracking.

It gates content behind a skill.

It promotes exploration.

The skill is easy to build off and add to. Just add new kinds of discoverable creatures.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Antony said:

You're out having a cheeky time with the boys when suddenly you see something in the grass ahead.

It's animal tracks. 'omg omg omg, guys-guys-gusy' you exclaim in excitement.

You majestically mouse over the grass and fondly click your mouse to track.

[19:03:33] Tracking increased by 0.08008135 to 69.1337420

[19:03:33] Hunting increased by 1 to 2

[19:03:33] The tracks lead in front of you to the right or something, idk

You and your merried men dance a little jig through the forest, tracking the ... tracks, until off in the distance you spot...

As your hunting skill increases you begin finding tougher and tougher foes, reaping greater and greater treasures.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.

It gives hermits a reason to get into combat.

It's a more enjoyable way of training tracking.

It gates content behind a skill.

It promotes exploration.

The skill is easy to build off and add to. Just add new kinds of discoverable creatures.

Love it!

Could it work like a bit like archaeology?  where you track different tiles over a larger distance to find a "hidden den of creature type"  

Then you would have a choice (depending on the difficulty of the creature) to disturb the den and fight it / charm / tame or call in friends for the harder ones before disturbing, the den would stay "active" for x amount of hours before de spawning, sometimes you would find a empty den and maybe sometimes could find a double spawn?

But love your idea, would a great use for the tracking skill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Badvoc said:

Could it work like a bit like archaeology?  where you track different tiles over a larger distance to find a "hidden den of creature type"  

Then you would have a choice (depending on the difficulty of the creature) to disturb the den and fight it / charm / tame or call in friends for the harder ones before disturbing, the den would stay "active" for x amount of hours before de spawning, sometimes you would find a empty den and maybe sometimes could find a double spawn?

That's a great idea, and I like the idea of them spanning over a long distance so players wander away from deeds.

Great Idea for the use of Tracking.  They could probably piggyback the Den generation off of hunters, maybe a way of re-populating an area for hunting at the higher end of Tracking/hunting?  What I mean by that is maybe they could roll the "Traps" skill into hunting along with tracking and eventually make a limited way of creating player-made creature dens.

• Like 2

I never use tracking since it seems useless at lower levels but this might give me reason to imp that skill. Love the hidden den idea! 🤩  And I really really would love some new mobs! Getting quite bored with the usual suspects. ;)

Would need to be quite fast to beat hunting by just running forward killing everything anyway.
Hermits do need to do combat to cook for themselves.

The skill is easy to build off and add to. Just add new kinds of discoverable creatures.  Making new model, textures, sounds, behavior isnt easy or fast to add

Otherwise better than current tracking. might work in xanadu size but smaller servers like in Inde i imagine its easier to just run the common route from home and hunt everything on that path