Sign in to follow this  
LeafLife

Maximizing space in a large magic chest

Hello, I'm looking for some tips on getting the most storage from my large magic chest. Mainly using it to store fragments, affinity foods and assorted rares. What containers and sub containers will give me the most storage space in the chest?

Runes will become more available once rifts start on NFI.

For now, a backpack with satchels inside will create a lot more space. I know some people use quivers in theirs.

• Like 1

I have no real issues storing my fragments in normal chests. The decay is negligable. Contact me ingame and I will make you a few backpacks for easier fragment storage. That should free up some space in the MC.

• Like 1

I believe small buckets are the optimal container for fragments.

With all space used issues, you want to find whatever container holds slightly less then 100 of your item (fragments in this case). This is so because every container will consume its full volume in the magic chest regardless how much of its space is used. Backpacks are very inefficient for storing fragments.

A backpack will consume 75 L of your magic chest's available 300 L and it holds 100 fragments (containers for the most part have 100 item count cap). Whereas a small bucket will consume 12 L of the chests volume and hold something like 96 fragments. Many container volumes are here: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Container

I know its very annoying that this kind of information is not right at your finger tips in game but unfortunately Wurm has some bad game practices when it comes to information sharing.

Edited by Ogare
  • Like 6

I use for fragment Storage Pottery Bowls they are in my opinion the most effectiv. Together with a backpack for things that are to big for a bowl but still fit in one. The Size Runes are a good hint I will try this one for the future.

I use satchels.  They are not as efficient as buckets, but they do hold 100 instead of 96 and that makes my life easier.  I do tend to ID and attach them quickly, so keeping 3 in place (1 for statues, 1 for everything else, 1 for unidentified in case I run out of time that evening) doesn't take too much of my 300 units.  

I do tend to keep rares for sac in there all the time, and it gets full so I also added in a merchant to hold them.  I am finding an 8s merchant is a great storage option for rare stone shards, etc.  that take up a lot of room.