Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Let us to claim ownership on non-loadable items by deeding over them.

Let us to claim ownership on non-loadable items by deeding over them. If I deed a guard tower I can destroy it but not rename, why? Same goes for mailboxes, altars etc. Let us have them if they are on our property, these cannot be picked up or loaded so are not something that can be stolen, also for big things such as guard towers it would improve communication because they could be renamed to something useful such map grid coordinates they are on. I works like that for gates, so why not to other items? 

Edited by Platyna

1 minute ago, Platyna said:

Let us to claim ownership on non-loadable items by deeding over them. If I deed a guard tower I can destroy it but not rename, why? Same goes for mailboxes, altars etc. Let us have them if they are on our property, these cannot be picked up or loaded so are not something that can be stolen, also for big things such as guard towers it would improve communication because they could be renamed to something useful such map grid coordinates they are on. 

no, bad suggestion imo.

As the item may not be loaded but it can be dragged,  you could even get a new player to drag it 100's of tiles for you with false promises......

where does it stop, what would we be allowed for us to drag onto deed to take ownership?  a boat, or a wagon or the list goes on.

Also if you dont like the name of an item you can bash it down and rebuild, so theres options in game to "rename" with work already, dont like that mailbox name, make a new one. Guard tower need coords, bash it down and rebuild and rename. 

1 hour ago, Badvoc said:

no, bad suggestion imo.

As the item may not be loaded but it can be dragged,  you could even get a new player to drag it 100's of tiles for you with false promises......

where does it stop, what would we be allowed for us to drag onto deed to take ownership?  a boat, or a wagon or the list goes on.

Also if you dont like the name of an item you can bash it down and rebuild, so theres options in game to "rename" with work already, dont like that mailbox name, make a new one. Guard tower need coords, bash it down and rebuild and rename. 

People can already take items from around their area and claim it as their own.  such is the life of ruin hunters or pirates.  I would like this suggestion to happen so that I can claim more stuff but also so that, that stuff can be put to use again instead of just an item that will decay away into nothing.   - That and renaming guard towers should be simple and easy.

Also if someone is actually waiting 5 seconds for each pull/push to move an item outside of a deed in the wild where monsters are also roaming around for as you said "100s of tiles" then they would be doing that for ages.  Do you really think that people are going to be THAT desperate to get an item outside their deed that is a very long way away?    This suggestion would be good for cleaning up areas that are just outside of the deeds area.  More so items that have been left there from players, from the past.

Also, your suggestion to just bash down the tower and then build it again with the rename instead.    No because first of all. it is far much more easy just to "right click" on a mouse button and click "Rename" then it is to mine resources, make mortar, dig clay and sand, make bricks....etc and then build the tower again.    That and some guard towers have different designs then the normal Freedom Tower.  I would not want to destroy a guard tower design that I can''t make again.

It is just a name change.  If it is on your deed then you should be able to change the name in a quick and easy manner.  If you are the mayor. Guard towers are also used by ships for directions.  The more guard towers that have Cords, the better.  I feel.    No need for over complication when you can just make it simple and easy.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Zexos said:

People can already take items from around their area and claim it as their own.  such is the life of ruin hunters or pirates.  I would like this suggestion to happen so that I can claim more stuff but also so that, that stuff can be put to use again instead of just an item that will decay away into nothing.   - That and renaming guard towers should be simple and easy.

Also if someone is actually waiting 5 seconds for each pull/push to move an item outside of a deed in the wild where monsters are also roaming around for as you said "100s of tiles" then they would be doing that for ages.  Do you really think that people are going to be THAT desperate to get an item outside their deed that is a very long way away?    This suggestion would be good for cleaning up areas that are just outside of the deeds area.  More so items that have been left there from players, from the past.

Also, your suggestion to just bash down the tower and then build it again with the rename instead.    No because first of all. it is far much more easy just to "right click" on a mouse button and click "Rename" then it is to mine resources, make mortar, dig clay and sand, make bricks....etc and then build the tower again.    That and some guard towers have different designs then the normal Freedom Tower.  I would not want to destroy a guard tower design that I can''t make again.

It is just a name change.  If it is on your deed then you should be able to change the name in a quick and easy manner.  If you are the mayor. Guard towers are also used by ships for directions.  The more guard towers that have Cords, the better.  I feel.    No need for over complication when you can just make it simple and easy.

People do drag items for 1000's of tiles. theres a story of a loom that was dragged across a server, its an epic tale. I watched a player drag an item all night unto her deed, 1 tile at a time, was funny to watch, btw which is fine, deed had dropped super cool to go and reuse the item, doesn't give her the right to change the item imo by renaming it. The crafter earned that right by creating it. No one has a problem with "claiming and reusing items" but use them as is, just like if you find a super rare sword, the crafters name will always be on it, or should we be able to rename that too?

If someone makes something in wurm, its part of history "right click" change, no thanks.

And lets be honest here, this suggestion has nothing at all to do with "cleaning up" old unused items, its to rename a rare mail box dragged from one deed to another. Why should that mail box have its name changed?

I have renamed guard towers by bashing down and rebuilding, the person who spent the time making mortar, bricks, planks and building the guard tower should have the right to have the name last, they made the effort to build the guard tower in the first place, or does that crafters efforts not matter? you deed over it you have the right to bash down and rebuild if you wish.  The no its much easier to just rename isn't a reason to change something that isn't broken. 

People have long histories in wurm, items made by people who are no longer with us, i would hate to lose more of that history just by someone who doesn't know about the history deeding over and renaming. 

With regards the PVP towers on freedom, you still can get them designs, not as easy as building a normal one granted, but you still can.

Now if you want to talk about the million BSB's and FSB's that litter the servers that's a different matter, but you want to name something, make it, wurm is after all a crafting sandbox game.

Edited by Badvoc

42 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

If someone makes something in wurm, its part of history "right click" change, no thanks.

But destroy the item is fine?  I would think renaming rights, when compared to outright destruction is the lesser of two evils.

Although the lesser, still not good, though.  Someone made something and left it behind.  If you like it keep it, name and all.  If there is an aspect that you dislike enough that you don't want that object in that specification, don't keep it.

(BTW, I am seriously thinking of pushing the mailbox up the street down to my house - when I finish the teardown rebuild.  If it had a name I didn't like, I would leave it where it is).

As others have stated, I also think this would be a bad idea. 

Especially for things like guard towers, and colossuses. 

Alot of them you'll see around were built tears ago, each having their own history, and sometimes named for different experiences one had. 

For example, discovering the area. 

Sometimes they're named to help find one's way around the map, for example - the Awesomesaucia tower on Serenity, if you were to rename that I'd be rather unsure of how to be directed into the general area of the newly named tower, as I've always referred to it as Awesomesaucia, and the area surrounding it.

By being able to change the names of items would just be changing wurm history, especially seeing as most of those predate your Characters age. 

You can't change the name of Wurm Online.

Why?

Because you don't own it, and so do not have the rights to do such a thing. 

Therefore this should be the same for property that one OWNS ingame.

(Made at 03:05am lol if anything sounds off don't even question it! :P) 

Badvoc: I don't care about personal squabbles or issues from the past to do with you and the topic creator. 

Let's focus on the core suggestion. Since even if this suggestion has roots in another topic, does not mean that it does not have merit to succeed or provide benefits to users. 

(I actually got massively triggered by you from that other topic and then triggered again when you started to blab about past issues to do with plat.  I mean, let it bloody go the past and stop winding each other up, God.) 

The main benefit I see is being able to put in cords onto the guard tower.  Just create an option on the tower with the "right click menu" that says insert map cords.  Then when someone hovers over the tower, they will see the tower name and then any map cords under the name.  Then you don't need to change the name. 

You could even have an option in the setting to turn the cords "on or off" if you want to just see the name and no cords. 

I have been in two minds myself when I wanted to rename a local guard tower near my old deed on pristine. It had a really old deed name on it and I thought that other people around might know of the towers name as a landmark but I also wanted to change it to fit my new deed name....

There is also that feeling of wanting to be remembered somehow and knowing that other people feel the same way. But decay is also a thing on wurm so it might not last forever. 

I am for cords on guard towers and for reusing items that are not being used anymore.  My personal reasons for this:

I would like to insert cords onto some guard towers that are around my local area.  

I like to reuse other people's items instead of making them myself. I rarely make items. I let others do the work and then abandon the item. Then I use the item or plop it down in a community space for everyone to use. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Zexos said:

I mean, let it bloody go the past and stop winding each other up

+ about a gazillion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Others have stated it is a good idea, except for one person who does not judge ideas but their author. 😉 It is my deed - I should be the master of my domain. 

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Alot of them you'll see around were built tears ago, each having their own history, and sometimes named for different experiences one had. 

Yes, and my suggestion is to preserve that history instead of bashing it down. I have on my deed amazing, rare enchanted mailbox, and since no GM agreed to remove the stupid name from it, I will most likely bash it, because I am an OCD person, and it annoys the hell out of me (and I am not the only OCD person playing Wurm), so the bright history if this item will end. 

Both IRL and in Wurm I love used things, even with that mailbox - I have instant enchanted mailbox on my deed, better than the one with stupid name, but yet I left this one too, imped it, painted in a nice colour, but I can't stand stupid name on it. 

Edited by Platyna

2 hours ago, Scooter said:

I fear those "others" (rather a single other I otherwise have much respect) seems to be carried away by personal grudges and grievances and would be wiser to shun debates where he has a hard time to stay rational. 

Especially for things like guard towers, and colossuses. 

This does not preserve them from being bashed (or dragged into a cave in case of colossi) once somebody dislikes them.  Mind that there is no proposal to remove the creator's plate on guard towers. And just on contrary, naming deeded guard towers would be helpful to correct the sins of the past of not including coordinate information especially on coastal guard towers and structures

By being able to change the names of items would just be changing wurm history, especially seeing as most of those predate your Characters age. 

Being able to destroy (while not to rename) is arguably the most powerful change of history. I am all for respect of history, but being unable to change structure names on deed does not help a lot. Maybe one could put restrictions on such a power, like limiting it over time, or putting a price on it like with deed renaming.

Therefore this should be the same for property that one OWNS ingame.

The only difference between the items in question and other items, partially of more, partially of less size and weight is that they cannot be loaded. Otherwise they would change ownership. For example, I regard a Hota statue more significant and valuable than an altar or a mailbox. They can be owned (thus disowned) by loading though.

• Like 1

I will put a -1 to this as i like the history a signature or name brings. A guard tower can be maintained for decades and still have the same name to it - and i love it.

It somehow makes the world more familiar, in some strange way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I will put a -1 to this as i like the history a signature or name brings. A guard tower can be maintained for decades and still have the same name to it - and i love it.

Guard towers, as other items, bear no name when bashed, and these not bashed have a founder plaque. It is my deed, I should be able to do whatever I want with items on it, without needing to destroy and rebuilt them. 

Edited by Platyna

18 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I well understand that, and I would prefer such a possibility being restricted, like it is with deeds. The cases are similar other than destruction/decay of such structures usually is slower than deed disbanding: you may disband and bash anytime once you have the permissions, but renaming is expensive in case of deeds, and impossible in case of the rest. It would seem sensible to me to have a price tag on it so that noone is renaming recklessly, e.g. 5s for towers, 2s for colossi, and 1s for altars and mailboxes, and maybe a CD such as once in half year or year.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

5 hours ago, Zexos said:

(I actually got massively triggered by you from that other topic and then triggered again when you started to blab about past issues to do with plat.  I mean, let it bloody go the past and stop winding each other up, God.)

that is a fair point and noted, I understand fully how my actions on the forum will damage my rep and will own that, you stated people wouldn't drag for 100's of tiles I give an example of what people do, either dragging themselves or getting a new player to do.

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

But destroy the item is fine?  I would think renaming rights, when compared to outright destruction is the lesser of two evils.

No its not fine, but the game atm lets you bash a guard tower down when its on your deed, off deed you cant. So using current game system you can bash to change names atm.  Having a system in place to deed over items that cant be loadable and then gain ownership is a mistake in my view.

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I fear those "others" (rather a single other I otherwise have much respect) seems to be carried away by personal grudges and grievances and would be wiser to shun debates where he has a hard time to stay rational.

I understand your concern, when the op has made suggestions which I think are good for the game I have supported that suggestion, this I think is a bad one, I also think this suggestion came about not for the greater good of the game but solely because she wants one item on her deed changed. I really cant see how this change is for the greater good of the game.

Also about the rational part, ( off topic reply to Ekcin )

Spoiler

is a fair one I am biased against Platyna as a player, everyone can see that and for that I am truly sorry that it effects other people, last thing I want is to trigger other people but imo what she has done since joining the game and the way she went on she was very lucky her ban was so short, its hard to explain but she upset and drove away so many people, I moved servers then clusters to get away and start again to enjoy the game, to stop getting PM's about what she had done now and did I still have the email address for sending logs. So i moved clusters, left a character with 2 years prem to rot and am having a blast Until CA merged and once again she is starting to wind people up on there.

With regards the forum, I don't want to let her rewrite history and she should own her own rep, this wasn't a mistake as a newbie, this went on for months it was bullying and when pulled up on it cried illness she now has to live with the results of her actions, just like my rep on here will always be tarnished, that's something I will live with as my rep in game is sound.  If she would admit to what she did to these people and made a heartfelt public sorry, that would be a different story and I would let it drop.

now if only Ignore would cover CA that would be so much better...   

• Like 1

Bashing items removes important part of the history and is a sad and necessity thing to do, because no one should be forced to have e.g. a mailbox with a stupid name on it on their land. 

Spoiler

Even while apologizing you have to lie, I got banned for breaking a GM order I didn't even know I had, Enki said I did nothing wrong, I just spoke with a person whom I didn't know I am forbidden to speak with - which was a topic of my first thread here, can be easily found - and it was your buddy who was griefing me as well, but he was smarter than you - moved away about 150 tiles, made own deed, he left other people's deeds and perimeters alone, you could take an example from him. You bullied and griefed me since my first month in game, and you left Ind because you got mad that GMs didn't let you to do that any more.

Edited by Platyna

No one is forcing you to have it tho. If it really have a stupid name that you dislike so much it sure seems a good idea to remove it from your deed, no?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Platyna said:

Bashing items removes important part of the history and is a sad and necessity thing to do, because no one should be forced to have e.g. a mailbox with a stupid name on it on their land. 

Reveal hidden contents

Even while apologizing you have to lie, I got banned for breaking a GM order I didn't even know I had, Enki said I did nothing wrong, I just spoke with a person whom I didn't know I am forbidden to speak with - which was a topic of my first thread here, can be easily found - and it was your buddy who was griefing me as well, but he was smarter than you - moved away about 150 tiles, made own deed, he left other people's deeds and perimeters alone, you could take an example from him. You bullied and griefed me since my first month in game, and you left Ind because you got mad that GMs didn't let you to do that any more.

Your last post was to ask the forum team, to remove all off topic content from this thread, which they did.  Maybe you should take your own advice and keep it on topic?

SO since the staff have cleaned up the thread once all I have left to say is:-

Merry Xmas Platyna. 

16 hours ago, Badvoc said:

Your last post was to ask the forum team, to remove all off topic content from this thread, which they did.  Maybe you should take your own advice and keep it on topic?

SO since the staff have cleaned up the thread once all I have left to say is:-

Merry Xmas Platyna. 

They left yours, so left a line from me, and you keep going and going and going in hope this thread will be locked. 

I took everyone even Darwin and you off my ignore list. I am a forgiving person, agreeable and by default I am nice. Stop talking BS about me and biting me on every post I make or on CA_HELP, and maybe we will not love each other but at least the drama will end. 

Merry Christmas to you too. 

Edited by Platyna

18 hours ago, Nordlys said:

No one is forcing you to have it tho. If it really have a stupid name that you dislike so much it sure seems a good idea to remove it from your deed, no?

As I said, I will bash if I will not get a name change option. The idea was to preserve such items. No one is asking about removal of maker signature etc.

Not sure how I feel about this idea. Part of me thinks keeping the history of the item is important, and that the creator of the item chose to name it that so it should remain so until they change it or the item is gone. On the other hand some form of mechanic where is a unclaimable item is on a deed for X time the ownership changes to the mayor might be an option. 

But something about the mindset in here is a bit off for me. The item was out in the world, once created by somebody and named. A person finds it and moves it to their deed and wants to change it to fit their deed, and erase what the owner wanted on the item they created. In the name of preserving said item and the history of it, but then at the same time if not able to rename it will bash it and destroy it forever, while there may be many in the world who would give it a home ( or public places it could be put for others to use )  Seems to me it's less about wanting to preserve history and more about wanting a rare on deed and that if you can't have it the way you want (either by GMs doing what they normally do not, or by having the devs change a game mechanic) then you destroy it.

Could just be me, but it doesn't sit well. Though I am not against some form of change to renaming/ownership that can preserve history, I don't get the impression that is whats really wanted in this case.

• Like 3

If you’ve inherited or moved something on your deed whose name you don’t like, bash (or even better, let someone take it off your hands, if possible) and rebuild it. Simple. The original builder spent the time and resources to make it, so if you don’t like what he/she named it, then recreate it yourself.

If something can be replaced easily, then there’s little loss to history by bashing it and rebuilding. But if its value is such that you’re reluctant to lose it, either due to effort to rebuild or quality, then that’s even more reason it should stay named as the original builder intended. Seems to be working as intended in my opinion.

Edited by Calan
  • Like 2

Again: no one says to remove creator's tags! It would work the same as e.g. loading it or picking in inventory - none of it affect the creator tag. Just on deed you would have an option, no idea, like right click -> Claim ownership (if a mayor). 

22 minutes ago, Platyna said:

Just on deed you would have an option, no idea, like right click -> Claim ownership (if a mayor). 

Knowing that the mayor could just randomly take my stuff on a whim would certainly make me think twice about being a villager on anyone else's deed.

This is a suggestion about mailboxes, guard towers etc, not about your stuff. 

8 hours ago, Platyna said:

Again: no one says to remove creator's tags!

I don’t think anyone here is confusing your suggestion for that. There was just Tek’s post and my post between your post with the above quote and your previous post; neither my post nor Tek’s mentions creator tags. The only thing I can think is that you misread Tek where he said, ‘...that the creator of the item chose to name it that so it should remain so....’ He wasn’t talking about the creator tag, but what the creator chose as the name. 

Just because some of us disagree with your suggestion doesn’t mean we don’t understand it. We know you want to rename a mailbox you didn’t make. Again, I think that’s contrary to the spirit of the game and disrespectful to players who spend their time creating complex and/or rare items.

Build your own mailbox if you don’t like the name of what you’ve inherited. Move the other off-deed and someone will surely take it off your hands. As I said before, ‘But if its value is such that you’re reluctant to lose it, either due to effort to rebuild or quality, then that’s even more reason it should stay named as the original builder intended.’

Edited by Calan