Sign in to follow this  
crimsonearth

Permissions Bug: Deeds with lead permissions allow all branded deed animals to be led, hitched, loaded, everywhere.

Posting this bug report as requested by Shydow, though confirmed by other players to have been a problem for some time. When I added a marketplace to my deed and set up these additional perms over a year ago, I asked CAs for confirmation that brand permissions would override deed perms and was told that yes they would, which leads me to believe that this is either an unintended interaction of perms, or was once working correctly and something has since broken.

In the past few days while I was away at the Impalong, one of my branded, geared riding horses was taken from my deed. I eventually found it on the other side of the server, pregnant and hitched to someone else's wagon. The problem appears to be that the 'lead' permission on a deed overrides the brand permission for all animals for that deed, no matter where they are. (Obviously we double checked who had perms on the horse in question and the other horses we tested with).

We tested a number of scenarios and here is what we have:

Lead permissions only affect my branded animals and unbranded animals on my deed - so other people's branded animals are not at risk while on my deed.

Any of my branded animals, however, can be led (but not ridden), hitched to carts and wagons, bred with other animals and, if they don't have gear on, can be loaded into cages and taken off server where the brand and deed permissions would both drop. They don't have to be led off-deed to be hitched; it can be done right there. Moreover, all my branded animals are vulnerable anywhere on the server - so if I step off my riding horse anywhere on or off deed, someone else can lead it away.

In this instance I was lucky because the horse was equipped and so couldn't be loaded, and because the wagon it was hitched to was unlocked, which allowed me to unhitch it and take it home. We tested on a locked wagon and I couldn't touch it, so wagon perms effectively override branding perms.

This has pretty huge implications for us, since we run a deed which includes a marketplace that sells, among other things, animals. Turning 'leading' off on my deed won't fix this issue for me. It means not only can I not leave a horse unattended anywhere on my own server, we'll also have to lock them up in pens on deed when they're not being ridden. It'll have the same knock-on implications for everyone else who has a horse and/or animal market with self-service merchants, and anyone else with 'lead' perms enabled for any reason who thinks that their branded animals are still protected.

I can't think of any good reason why deed perms should override brand perms, and both of the CAs who I spoke to seemed quite taken aback by the rather large hole in security. I really hope this *is* a bug, and not an intended mechanic, and so can be addressed.

Edited by crimsonearth
  • Like 1

I found threads in suggestions trying to fix too, and the patch notes from 2015 when it was first changed, apparently.

My SO had an issue recently where one of our branded horses was lead off of our deed and left in a mine to starve. GM ticket... Long story short because the animal was branded we got it back. Branding does protect the animal, but the intentions on your deed take precedence over individual animal settings or branding. It seems like this is the intended mechanic or that it's something they don't intend to change.

[03:06:58] <Legios> I had lead able, but thought branding overrode that.

[03:08:05] <Astarte> And there is the answer; sadly, deed permissions override horse permissions, but he couldn't take the gear because horse management

[03:09:19] <Legios> I hate to have the deed locked up like fort knox with so many newbies that come through, being close to a starter town, but I guess there's no way around it?

[03:11:20] <Legios> So if my branded horse were off deed, could someone lead it?
[03:11:42] <Astarte> No, sounds incredible, but on from deed

[03:11:55] <Astarte> because you had leading on deed enabled
[03:12:00] <Legios> Okay, pens it is.
[03:12:23] <Astarte> At least you branded the horse, that's what saved it ;)
[03:12:30] <Legios> Yes :) Thank you
[03:12:39] <Astarte> You're welcome!
[03:12:52] <Astarte> Happy wurming and enjoy getting in trouble ;)
[03:12:57] <Legios> And thank you for clarification.

Deed permissions override branding. It's in the wilds that branding is the primary protection for our animals.

It's not protection in the wilds though; a branded horse that belongs to a deed with leading enabled can be led by anyone, anywhere on that server - on my deed, on someone else's deed, and in the wild.