Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Merry Christmas!

59 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Yes please, foraging with never be worth grinding and it's time to stop pretending a couple of items exclusive to the action is a worthwhile or good idea

As someone who's foraging skills is one of the highest in the whole skill list, I disagree.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BDCKoolaid said:

I have 70 woodcutting on the dot and my max with a fully imbued hatchet is over 95ql.

Maybe. I have had no experience with 100 imbued as 84 was perfect for me and I preferred some bloods or potions in reserve as one does not meet a GL every day.

But the point is not like some stupid player threw insults about being too lazy to grind or being "snowflakes". It is about crippling all the veins in mining which are not high in the 90s, and if the nerf is mad and cruel enough, even those (as I never found a vein over 99ql, maybe there are one or two in all of Wurm if at all).

As to my mining, I shall hit 99 soon (means in a few months if I do nothing exceptional, and weeks or less if I go for it), and may even hit 100 some day because I love mining. The point is that even with 100 mining I cannot pull ql100 out of a crap vein.

All trees are "ql 100 wood veins". All dirt is "ql100 dirt vein". All tar .. clay .. you get it. That is the difference some stupid dev or  manager did not understand about mining.

Edit: And to add that: What makes me upset is that such failures have been foreseeable and have a reason. It is absolutely comprehensible that the devs, grappling with an extremely deep, broad, and complex software, in decade old necessarily messy code, cannot know and understand any intricacy of the game meta. Just because they, despite doing a great job, are not superhuman. And that is the reason why such changes should be planned, presented, and discussed ahead of a change, not that panicky forcing down the throat of the community.

Edited by Ekcin

5 hours ago, Bloodreina said:

As someone who's foraging skills is one of the highest in the whole skill list, I disagree.

I mean, it’s still literally not worth the effort to forage instead of sinking the same amount of time you spent foraging to farm and garden. Cocoa beans, Nettles, Nutmeg and Sassafrass are the only unique items from foraging/botanizing.

Nettles/Nutmeg/Sassa have almost no valie. They have unique affinity numbers for cooking food and can help you add a tiny bit extra to pizza durations- but considering you can already hit 16+ hours with a relatively simple pizza, and you can always asjust other ingredients to hit affinities, there aint much worth.

Cocoa beans on the other hand are used to make rum (though you can spam a different ingredient to raise quantity, problem is that the beans dump the quality) and rum isn’t even worth bothering with as an alcohol except for aesthetics/fun

Likwise, the ONLY recipe thay uses dairy food making also needs TWO cocoa beans per. Otherwise, you need to spam creation which has awful experience rates due to the 66% skillgain penalty on creation tasks. Even then, cooking chocolate milk doesn’t grant a whole lot- you’ll need hundreds of cocoa beans and cocoa beans fall into the most general category for foraging so even with 20 skill its a pain to grab lots of, though multiitems help it a bit you’re still looking at spending days doing nothing but foraging just to grind a useless skill (two actually lol).

To note, dairy foodmaking has no real value above 33, as product quality for most dfm recipes use 3x skill, and even then the quality isn’t a gamebreaker when cooking with low quality dfm items. The desire is purely for the titles.

So yeah, definitely disagreed. The only “value” these skills have come from extremely niche uses for their unique resources that have no real purpose being unique to begin with, and the sunken loss by people who, for some reason, decided to grind then despite them being slower and more attention requiring skills to grind than gardening or farming lol

• Like 3

Though foraging has certainly other uses than harvesting cocoa, I can say I never received or heard about a demand to get cocoa beans in any quantity (even Grifo was too lazy to come over for a satchel full for his rum for free 😎). It does not feel as anyone really wants to buy them, whichever quality. Granted there are not so much quantities as they are only a fraction of foraging yield.

Anyway I understand the desire for DFM . But, as stated, even quantities of cocoa beans would be at best a bandaid. The solution would be more DFM recipes, milk shakes, yoghurt whatever, with fruit, herbs etc. in it to boost diff. Demand to cripple foraging for a meager improvement seems inappropriate.

Edited by Ekcin

On 12/23/2020 at 3:58 AM, Thorinoakshield said:

Well, the title of this thread is "Merry Christmas".

And what do I see? The usual accusations, mud slinging and insults. 🤨

Really Christmas like. Well done, community! 😢

For those of you who think that we should be nice to eachother at least this time of the year

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!

Thorin 🤐

Well, when the higher ups decide to debuff something that some people like using and have been using for a rather long time, it invokes a bitterness and saltiness that not even Christmas can mend.  That might just be me, and I'm prone to Scrooginess.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, Ekcin said:

All trees are "ql 100 wood veins"

I don’t think this is true

14 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

I don’t think this is true

Kindly elaborate. I do  not mean felled trees which ofc are not, but living trees. At WC 100 you can pull ql 100, even earlier with rare hatchet, not with rune anymore as it is capped with your skill since this destruction of the rune, maybe with imbue. But even at mining 100 you can never pull ql 100 out of a "poor quality" vein. No way.

maybe they are ql100.. but you get a LOT of rng..

I am at few ticks off 94WC, rare hatchet, ql91, gather rune, no imbue.. it often gives me ql70 felled trees or lower ql.. here or there.. I get ql100 but it's not common result, even less success when chopping the trees to logs.. (I'm lazy to imp the hatchet.. or imp the skill for now.. not like I need many hq logs..)

3 minutes ago, Finnn said:

maybe they are ql100.. but you get a LOT of rng..

I am at few ticks off 94WC, rare hatchet, ql91, gather rune, no imbue.. it often gives me ql70 felled trees or lower ql.. here or there.. I get ql100 but it's not common result, even less success when chopping the trees to logs.. (I'm lazy to imp the hatchet.. or imp the skill for now.. not like I need many hq logs..)

Say goodbye to any ql100, at least with the rune. I wonder who had that idiotic idea. If I read the nerf formula right, I also fail to see a chance of pulling 100 even with imbue. Maybe I misunderstood.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Say goodbye to any ql100, at least with the rune. I wonder who had that idiotic idea. If I read the nerf formula right, I also fail to see a chance of pulling 100 even with imbue. Maybe I misunderstood.

a4dc6b6881eb0994b12891e883859a2d-png.jpg

idk, im not good at these things

Yes that was what I meant. No chance to pull ql 100 even when 100 in the skill without ql100 raw material. Id est never in mining. Thanks devs for mindlessly destroying fun and accomplishment.

5 hours ago, Zahnweh said:

Well, when the higher ups decide to debuff something that some people like using and have been using for a rather long time, it invokes a bitterness and saltiness that not even Christmas can mend.  That might just be me, and I'm prone to Scrooginess.

My comment wasn't meant about the things being said to the Dev's about the changes, my comment was directed to certain players who were copy / pasting things others had said as a reply to a quote, who were accusing others of not doing "this" or "that" and who were in general convinced that they were the only ones right.

I do understand why  players are upset; even though I've never used imbues or ql enhancing runes. Main reason for that is that when I do need the better ql, I prefer to do it by my skill, not because of some technical tric that sooner or later may be nerfed. Something that happened right now.

Another reason is because I'm aware that a saying about certain emails also applies to games: "If it's too good to be true, it can't be true."

I also do understand that players write  things in the heat of the moment they may regret later.

What I don't understand is why someone writes a post containing "You wouldn't know, because you never used an imbue at anything"; which is half an hour later quoted and replied by: "You wouldn't know either, because you never grinded XXXX skill up to 99."

At that point a topic turns into a battle between two groups of players, which in the end is pushing everyone away from what was s'posed to be the important part of the thread: News and good wishes for everyone.

So when I wrote my comment, it was my hope that members here would understand that some things could better be solved by PM, or that it would be better to cool down a while and leaving this topic be. Unfortunately that wasn't and - looking at some later comments - isn't understood at all. Pandalet had to remove several comments after that - I never said it, but thanks for that @Pandalet- and I really hope things won't come to that point again.

So please people, just stay nice to eachother, ok? A lot of us are in the same boat, that that doesn't mean we have to beat eachothers skull in, simply because the ones adjusting the sails are doing things in ways we don't always agree in.

Thorin :) 

Edited by Thorinoakshield
typo's
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

My comment wasn't meant about the things being said to the Dev's about the changes, my comment was directed to certain players who were copy / pasting things others had said as a reply to a quote, who were accusing others of not doing "this" or "that" and who were in general convinced that they were the only ones right.

I do understand why  players are upset; even though I've never used imbues or ql enhancing runes. Main reason for that is that when I do need the better ql, I prefer to do it by my skill, not because of some technical tric that sooner or later may be nerfed. Something that happened right now.

Another reason is because I'm aware that a saying about certain emails also applies to games: "If it's too good to be true, it can't be true."

I also do understand that players write  things in the heat of the moment they may regret later.

What I don't understand is why someone writes a post containing "You wouldn't know, because you never used an imbue at anything"; which is half an hour later quoted and replied by: "You wouldn't know either, because you never grinded XXXX skill up to 99."

At that point a topic turns into a battle between two groups of players, which in the end is pushing everyone away from what was s'posed to be the important part of the thread: News and good wishes for everyone.

So when I wrote my comment, it was my hope that members here would understand that some things could better be solved by PM, or that it would be better to cool down a while and leaving this topic be. Unfortunately that wasn't and - looking at some later comments - isn't understood at all. Pandalet had to remove several comments after that - I never said it, but thanks for that @Pandalet- and I really hope things won't come to that point again.

So please people, just stay nice to eachother, ok? A lot of us are in the same boat, that that doesn't mean we have to beat eachothers skull in, simply because the ones adjusting the sails are doing things in ways we don't always agree in.

Thorin :) 

I think, that this never should be the case, to refuse something offered, just beacuse at some point in the future it might get nerfed.

It never should be like that in any game that claims to respect players, to remove (i mean remove ability to mine much higher ql up to 100 with just an imbue, not removing entirely) outta nowhere something that has been in game for years. Even if something is to be removed, devs should point it out at least half a year before. And what's even the same important, such changes should be made slowly, step after step. To check out every possible way of balancing without such drastic changes.

It's not like I, as a player should refuse something because it's too good, and perhaps will be nerfed. No, game gives me possibility to do somethig, offers me this and that, so I will use it. And it shouldn't be removed after so many years, theres no point.

It's not like imbues and runes became "op" yesterday. Any changes like this, should be made immediately after first implementation to the game, when players had first chance to notice, that the change is just too good. If something stays in game for so many years, this mean in normal game, that the change is pretty much ok. Sometimes other changes might of course impact this particular thing and somehow force it to change accordingly. But devs should never say, that something is broken after so many years. Inability to implement features properly, shouldn't never ever impact players.

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

Pickaxe QL 97 rare, potion of mining improving mining max QL 27, bronze rune of libila 10%

Mining Skill 85,11

Before the patch on testvein QL was 99,17 max

After the patch its QL 87,05 max

That is exactly the ###### i expected.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, Retrograde said:

To address a few questions, the quality will be above the cap of the vein still, and it will still go above your existing skill, just not as high as it was before. 

Are you ###### kidding me?

PS: just tried it on my old utmost gold vein

87,15 with a rare, runed, imbued pickaxe and 85,11 mining skill.

If you kill a feature, kill it, but stop talking ######.

Edited by Beewolf
  • Cat 1

6 hours ago, Alkhadias said:

.... Inability to implement features properly, shouldn't never ever impact players.

I still remember posting about a bug... same bug gets fixed.. and it bugs something else... I report that and get a reply that "it's intended" to be caused a loss to my side because I knew it will be fixed..

(makes no sense... report 2 problems, and still be at a loss with no support and losing benefits because something is poorly implemented or somebody wont pickup the slack and fix the next caused harm)

@Alkhadias  This right here, you've hit the main issue I have with this patch perfectly.

Edited by Zahnweh

8 hours ago, Alkhadias said:

I think, that this never should be the case, to refuse something offered, just beacuse at some point in the future it might get nerfed.

It never should be like that in any game that claims to respect players, to remove (i mean remove ability to mine much higher ql up to 100 with just an imbue, not removing entirely) outta nowhere something that has been in game for years. Even if something is to be removed, devs should point it out at least half a year before. And what's even the same important, such changes should be made slowly, step after step. To check out every possible way of balancing without such drastic changes.

It's not like I, as a player should refuse something because it's too good, and perhaps will be nerfed. No, game gives me possibility to do somethig, offers me this and that, so I will use it. And it shouldn't be removed after so many years, theres no point.

It's not like imbues and runes became "op" yesterday. Any changes like this, should be made immediately after first implementation to the game, when players had first chance to notice, that the change is just too good. If something stays in game for so many years, this mean in normal game, that the change is pretty much ok. Sometimes other changes might of course impact this particular thing and somehow force it to change accordingly. But devs should never say, that something is broken after so many years. Inability to implement features properly, shouldn't never ever impact players.

You are absolutely correct in that this change should have happened a long time ago, we fully agree with you there.

As the old proverb says, the best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago, the second best time is now. 

You'll see a trend as we have gone through the past year of addressing flaws within the game by making painful decisions to bring old abandoned mechanics into balance. It's not easy for us to make these changes, we don't take a thrill from upsetting players who came to use and rely on these mechanics, but with the prospect of adding them into NFI, we were left with three options:

1) allow them in their unbalanced state on NFI, and lead to a disruption of the organic skill growth of the players on that cluster

2) Create a system where they behave differently on both clusters, leading to confusion in CA help, wiki articles, and in general advice and understanding

3) Bite the bullet and make the tough change that should have happened a long time ago, meaning they are far more balanced and the same across both clusters, giving everyone the ability to work with them equally. 

We chose to do the third as despite the disruption now, it's better for the game in the long term. 

We'll be tweaking some aspects, as we're aware the current system limits actual 100 players from getting 100ql ore, and will continue to adjust if need be based on observations and feedback. 

• Like 3

@RetrogradeNerfs rarely work. It is truth as old as the oldest MMORPG. Most successful is balancing by introducing new features not nerfing old ones. And introducing new features usually causes praise and happiness among the community not outrage and anger.

A quick example: increase the probability of popping out QL100 item (or skill+QLX) that increases with skill, imbues are expensive and hard to get even if you have money, I bet fewer people would take them if there are such ability as most of the people do not require enormous quantities of QL100 materials. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

Is there a reason why this couldn't have been a NFI server only change?

I never used bloods and used a coupe of runes I was given for free, but after seeing the feedback and the fact it seems this isn't working as intended anyway if peoples in game testing is right its looking to me like yet again the devs have dropped the ball.

Or maybe you could have tested the change first, got some feedback and found the best way forward?

PR is everything and from how it looks from the outside in it doesn't look good. 

When something is broken for so long it really does become a feature, I understand 100% why people are upset. 

Instead of spending time finding ways to rub your oldest account holders up the wrong way, why not fix the tutorial, the biggest complaint I have from seen from brand new players on northern as of late is how poor it is, it teaches new players next to nothing and if I am honest looks like it was knocked together as an after thought. 

@Badvoc: As much as I criticize this incompetent, cruel and ill applied patch I have full understanding that they do not create "NFI only" versions. That would add ever more complexity and consequently more bugs. I know concurrent version handling from OS development, and it is a lot of work and eats a lot of resources. And to be honest, I fail to see the cluster separation surviving for long, especially not if the dwindling participation on steam and NFI continues. Stabilization of unique logins this month have solely been due to recovery of SFI population. Further alienating SFI users may revert that pleasant development while I doubt any NFI newbie from steam will be motivated by the rune and imbue nerfs.

• Like 1

Looking into this thread I saw very little about the source springs changes, where a very unique gameplay element (claimable source springs) was transformed to a more generic kind of feature (random source "treasure chests"). What is the rune/imbue nerf supposed to achieve? Rething a mechanic to higher ql resources that had turned into a meta for getting top ql stuff, making high levels irrelevant. So on part of the devs the reasoning for this (gameplay-wise) is sound.

This makes the whole debate seem more like part of the players being upset over losing a sort of perk they once had, rather than a debate on gameplay, as from a gameplay perspective the source spring changes are more debateable. Definetely those players that made use of runes and imbues simply played the game as intended and did nothing wrong. However I think the devs are aware that they will affect some people with the imbue changes, but probably deemed this change very necessary, especially for the new cluster.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

You are absolutely correct in that this change should have happened a long time ago, we fully agree with you there.

As the old proverb says, the best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago, the second best time is now. 

You'll see a trend as we have gone through the past year of addressing flaws within the game by making painful decisions to bring old abandoned mechanics into balance. It's not easy for us to make these changes, we don't take a thrill from upsetting players who came to use and rely on these mechanics, but with the prospect of adding them into NFI, we were left with three options:

1) allow them in their unbalanced state on NFI, and lead to a disruption of the organic skill growth of the players on that cluster

2) Create a system where they behave differently on both clusters, leading to confusion in CA help, wiki articles, and in general advice and understanding

3) Bite the bullet and make the tough change that should have happened a long time ago, meaning they are far more balanced and the same across both clusters, giving everyone the ability to work with them equally. 

We chose to do the third as despite the disruption now, it's better for the game in the long term. 

We'll be tweaking some aspects, as we're aware the current system limits actual 100 players from getting 100ql ore, and will continue to adjust if need be based on observations and feedback. 

Is the ETA for temporary or final fix known yet?

Do you know if the team have specific time period planned for testing this live and when results can be announced?

These are pretty important questions, as communication with the staff/devs is incredibly bad at times when it comes to balance and fixing content with holes, plenty of examples in suggestions speaking about existing mechanics and no solutions to pitfalls which players have to deal with everyday, but they somehow do not make it to patch notes.

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Is the ETA for temporary or final fix known yet?

Do you know if the team have specific time period planned for testing this live and when results can be announced?

These are pretty important questions, as communication with the staff/devs is incredibly bad at times when it comes to balance and fixing content with holes, plenty of examples in suggestions speaking about existing mechanics and no solutions to pitfalls which players have to deal with everyday, but they somehow do not make it to patch notes.

This is live as of the patch notes today:

• Bugfix: Fixed runes not working to increase the resource quality – vein quality should now be properly affected by the 10% bonus

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I see this trend, and I'm still considering if this is the trend that many players, including me, likes.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I've became a hater of this game 2 years ago, because I have too much time or I'm bored with it. No, I love Wurm and I love each and every one of you guys. But I still feel, like there's something off. 

It's not like I don't like new changes and features in game. I mostly love them. Also it's not all about nerfs or bad changes to the game. I can live with them, just like probably most of all those upset players. If I have, I'll just grind my way up to get 100QL ores ora I'll just buy them with other trades I got, it's not a big deal really. I've been there so many times i know what to do. 

Thing is, it's not changes themselves making most of the problem and not changes are making them that upset. Long time ago, I was under great impression, that Wurm is truly community based game, with community that has a real voice in creating and developing this game further and further. Suggestions forums was one of the greatest things that had an impact on our game. Changes sure, were coming slowly, very slowly. Legendary bridges that players wanted- we had top wait for them for years. But they were eventualy made. Many thnigs like runes, new mechanics, archaeology etc. Everything of these have been suggesting there and eventually at some point implemented to the game. Of course, there have been always some battles over some ideas, where part of the players wanted to implemented, and another part didn't. But that's simply how it looked like. I remember when I suggested random strongholds, battles/ siege events, and after few months, maybe over a year we received Rifts. I was like "Oh gosh, finally we have it, i dreamed about such thing!" 

Not everyone like Rifts now, but we can't deny, that they were a thing to everyone, once they were implemented. Now most complains are focused about Rift's journal entry, than Rifts itself. Nevermind. 

But now I feel, since 2018, when personal goals were firstly changed (first thing to really upset me, well second, but first wasn't game related at all, more like wurm team related), that Wurm devs turned away from this way. 
I know that game developement speeded up as it was needed, really i like it and appreciate it. Things in Wurm never been so solid and steadily implementing like in past 2 years. But also, at once I noticed that Wurm devs aren't really talking to players about most crucial parts and ideas. You guys are giving us lots of little good things, but also without any communication at all, you are implementing these big things behind players backs, just stating few days before "we gonna remove this, we gonna change this". It shouldn't be like that. Also you aren't at all listening to what players really wants and needs, and I feel like you closed yourself mostly for veteran players. Stupid example is about reward helmets not being improvabvle for years, with years of asking for this. Of course this change would be for few people owning them, because outta afair 27 cavalier hlemets there's problably 1/3 of them still in hands of active players. But again, 5-7 people are often like 10-15% of daily popuilation on some of the servers. Thinking mathematicaly, you shouldn't ignore it. Small things like that would certainly make it easier for upset players, because at least in something someone would listen to their needs. I can't really right now think of any game, that would treat veteran players in such unrewarding way. People who play Wurm for 5-8-10 years are the real pillars of this game, not the ones who started on steam and left after 4 months. Perhaps you've been expecting playerbase boom after steam, but now everyone sees, that there was no boom, and steam had no such a huge impact on playerbase. New servers are halfly filled with old vets anyway. Don't turn against them, don't be deaf on their voice. 

Retro, you're a great long time player i know it's not easy for you to answer to all complaints, but at least I hope you know what many of old vets feel. Now you're at least in Wurm's team, so you have this privilage to know about changes- others don't. Let's say that you're in regular player position. And you hear that painting and dye creation is going to change, because new players can't exactly figure out this mechanic or this was so random and old, and now we just simply pick the color we like, craft voila. (that's only example), and let's say you don't like it. One unexpecting change, not a big deal. Second, third, alright. But then comes another, and another and people feels blind in the dark, not knowing what will change, what will be nerfed, what will be removed/ replaced soon. And you guys are hitting very core mechanics that have been in game for years. 

If you feel, that something needs to be demoted, i won't argue. But I'll argue with clear removal of such things. Removing features or abilities isn't good. 

Now it looks like:
- We add some stuff
- We change/ remove some stuff. 

Why it can be like:
- We add some stuff
- We want something to be demoted, so we offer something similar, more interesting.

Instead of this, why cant you focus more on adding things like ingame events? You want to stop uniques drama, alright, but why instead of pushing some weird "said" rules about hunting and penning- you just won't leave it as it is, leave old way hunting for those who like it, and additionaly add regular ingame events with uniques and new loot mechanic? Why removing something that people like, when you can add something to satisfy others as well. 
You want to nerf imbues? First perhaps it would be nice to test out- in game, if nerfing a bit potions itself, to be faster in wearing out or to gives smaller imbue values after smearing wouldn't solve the problem a bit? Or finally if you want to nerf runes as well, perhaps that would be the best to make some sort of spell/ effect/ mechanic that would at least allow to counter this nerf. Let's say quick time events on mining to get better results for those who wants it. And just regular results without it. These ideas aren't so good perhaps, but there is always, a way to make something worse/ better without drastic changes to this. But communication is the key, really. Add more ingame events as well, treasure hunts like Seris knights adventure which was the best game experience i ever had. There's so many things you can still focus on, to make everyone happy, without upseting people. 

I understand it's not easy, you just can't simply make everyone happy. It's hard, very hard to satisfy all. But suddenly it's way easier to not upset someone. Also I totally understand, that from your point of view some changes have to be done. Of course, it's totaly fine. Just talk to us, give us infos and head ups. Don't do it this way. 

Anyway i hope, that next year will be better than previous one. I hope that Wurm will go on, and people will keep wurming, and I hope that the next year we all try to better understand each other, to keep our virtual world great for the years to come. 

• Like 4