Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Merry Christmas!

21 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

there will be laid back easy combat, it's called turning on autocombat after the changes. i'm saying there will be 0 difference between now (afking on mobs without auto combat on) and then (afking on mobs with auto combat on) and anyone thinking this will massively impact their gameplay is being overly negative for no reason.

As it currently is, you can get massive bonuses in combat by aiming to counter your opponents aims, or blocking in the direction they're aiming. all the things that you think are making it a "twitch game" or "nerfing auto combat fighters" are already in the game and very effective, especially in pvp. they're just not used in pve because pve is so braindead easy that the second you get a LT weapon you can afk almost any mob in the game, and there's no reason to use the tools provided, even if doing so can increase your effective dps by ~40%. I'm one of the people who just afk kills everything in the game and i don't really give a ###### about min maxing combat even though i know how it works from pvp experience, and will probably continue to do so after the changes too. Point is, combat is mindlessly easy, and if giving players the tools to effectively use whats already in the game without hours of testing/reading wu code changes it greatly, than it was a horrendously outdated system with no feedback.

The problem I think ( I am one of the brain dead afk fighters, run in aim centre high / centre right and go put the kettle on for coffee ) is atm its text based to get the max out of combat, is that right?

You have to read the text box to get the max out of combat?

And you are 100% right 90% of combat is trivial once you get a LT weapon, 

Edited by Badvoc

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

They literally say there will be public testing for both pve and pvp in the first post.

Not regarding the imbue & rune nerfs

13 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

The problem I think ( I am one of the brain dead afk fighters, run in aim centre high / centre right and go put the kettle on for coffee ) is atm its text based to get the max out of combat, is that right?

In my opinion, which may not be shared widely, I think a *great* improvement to combat would be to simply create better gui indicators of what we already have so that one doesn't need to study the scrolling log while trying to fight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

In my opinion, which may not be shared widely, I think a *great* improvement to combat would be to simply create better gui indicators of what we already have so that one doesn't need to study the scrolling log while trying to fight. 

Isn't that what is coming?  I think Retro said specifically that we won't have to keep the combat log open to see what is happening

10/10 artwork

I have no input on the runes/imbue stuff, never done it before. Happy to see Combat getting a look at though 👍

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

You can also celebrate the silly season with our special Candy Cane short sword as this months Marks store skin! 

This month's Marks store skin has basinet helmet as the target item.  Do you mean next month, January?

1 minute ago, Wurmhole said:

Isn't that what is coming?  I think Retro said specifically that we won't have to keep the combat log open to see what is happening

Maybe. When I read "more interactive and rewarding" and I see so many responses to this and other topics that seem to indicate a portion on the (pvp) playerbase wants twitch style gaming I'm not sure what this entails. Time will tell.

I hope players don't get combat log text overhead in pve. Could get a bit crazy at unique fights with 50+ players swinging their candy canes around.

3 hours ago, Platyna said:

Because after I play 10 years you will play 20, and after I play 20 you will play 30, do you understand my point? The game cannot be overruled by a certain group of people just because they fulfilled the requirement no one can fulfil any more, unless you would hand free time machine, so I can start in 2006 with all be bugs, mechanics quirks, RMT and other things that gave you a gigantic advantage against myself, also I do not wish my suggestions to be shallowed.  The output in a well-balanced RPG economy is based not on bugs, quirks, RMT and years played but wit, reason, hours played and effort put in game. And the game is interesting if there are multiple paths to achieve a certain goal. Getting fighting to 70 is harder than getting mining to 70, not to mention you have to have enough reason to earn money in Wurm (unless you are situated well enough IRL to buy silver from Wurm shop, but then you can use them to buy mining resources so this is something that is not important in this discussion). So, I got my fighting over 70, I put a lot of time and effort to skill AH and also invested a lot of money to start animal sales, so I can say I put more effort than a person who just grind mining to 90. I picked this path willingly, not because I am lazy. I can easily guess I am one of the most active if not the most active player in Wurm (is there any way to check it I am very curious?) 

Should everyone quit the game now so you can feel like a special snowflake? Why didn't you go to fresh start on north freedom then

• Like 2

Don't like this rune change.

With all the dragon slayings going on northern and all the bloods people have stocked up, why not only make the change to northern and leave us southerner's alone with our runes we've gotten used to after multiple years?  You going to take away my runes and not hook me up with a bunch of dragon events on Southern I don't have to spend 2 hours to get to, to stock up for replacing it?  Feels like I'm being stolen from.  That gathering rune is a big deal next to speed and size runes.

I'd say if you want to do a rift, archeology and all that other extra stuff, then open up the servers and have people sail their ass to a Southern server for a good time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tor said:

Should everyone quit the game now so you can feel like a special snowflake? 

Amazing answer to my long, polite and well argumentated post.

Why didn't you go to fresh start on north freedom then

That is the dumbest line I ever read on this forum. 😉 And trust me I rarely use such adjectives. But well I will answer: I had premium bought for a year when Steam launch happened, I have put a lot of time and effort into terraforming my deed, which is in excellent location, put a lot of time and effort into developing my skills and obtaining my items. I downloaded the game and joined the default server and the fact that a little group of players want to keep their hegemony at any cost is nothing I care about.

Imbue nerf will cause a small group of people to have a monopoly on crucial resources. Imbues were nice and innovative way for a newer or different profile players to be able to compete with the old ones. I have racks stocked with top QL ore, I should be the one calling to nerf imbues because It is obvious that the prices of the resources I gathered will increase dramatically, not to mention that I do not skill blacksmithing, so I can pass them on the market and earn enormous money, but I can see farther than the tip of my nose and say things that are good for the game not for me. 

Edited by Platyna

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

for imbues, cranking out 100ql ore with 70 skill is pretty dumb, but if they're getting dumpstered something should be done about vein ql so that you can actually get high ql ore reliably, not everyone wants to prospect across the entire server to find one of three utmost gold/silver veins in the entire server, like maybe you can always mine up to 100ql from a vein but if the vein is lower quality you'd have a penalty to average ql, which is partially mitigated by rune/imbue or something. every time i go out prospecting i'm just disappointed in how much ore around me is absolute garbage ql that i'd never bother mining unless i was skilling

"but the focus is on increasing the minimum quality output, meaning it is far more effective at lower levels"

Unless i'm missing something, imbues are an end game item. Assuming you're getting a super nat subs to imbue your tool, you'd need to kill around 9 of the same unique to get enough to fully imbue a tool, you'd need a rare+ tool so the imbue doesn't decay super fast, you'd need to mine enough to get source crystals to make the potions, assuming you ignore you can p2w it all with alts or buying it, all of these things point to it being a very end game item, why are they being balanced around low skill?

One thing that isn't mentioned is imbues for creation skills (such as stonecutting imbue on a chisel), are these being changed?

make a sourcery spell that can be achieved easily that can improve node qualities; a karma sink for pve and a solution for ore qualities

or just go the lame way and make it a mag/lib spell l ma  o

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

1.png

Eye catching art! :)

Hope it won't be that common to see people fighting with those candy sticks instead of real swords.

• Like 1

4 pages about mining imbue. Sure, its nice, but mining skill isnt really hard to get. I can think of atleast 2-3 other imbues that are more crucial.

That said, im gonna wait and see how it turns out before i cry or cheer. Will probably do neither, although i use pretty much all imbues.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Nirav: I LOVE EVERYBODY!  LOOK AT ALL YOU BRILLIANT SHINY SHARDS! YAAAAAY!

For any one wondering. This is what I had to put up with on Jackal.

• Like 2

More (un)shockingly bad choices and implementations...

*facepalm*

• Like 2

s-surely the combat overhaul is more encompassing than just special moves and making the already-important targeting mechanic more important?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreZ said:

More (un)shockingly bad choices and implementations...

*facepalm*

Yes. If one likes conspiracy theories one could suspect that they want to destroy SFI. After the launch, there was a participation ratio of up to 12:1 in favor of NFI, now it dropped, at times below 2:1 . Seems that the devs want to halt the rise of SFI by taking fun and attraction out of it, and disowning old players.

As to the combat changes, not that I expect much, but I do not loathe it. Maybe it might become necessary to switch on autofight while doing archaeology, foraging, botanizing, and forestry in the future, maybe not.  Anyway I would welcome if the buttons of the combat window would gain some meaning, for example interrupting mob casters etc. when stunning, letting them really lose concentration when the combat log tells so.

What I would dread would be the nightmare of numbers flying which I all time hated in GW1/2 not to speak of WoW, and hopefully no ugly ant like 3pv like there.

1 hour ago, RainRain said:

s-surely the combat overhaul is more encompassing than just special moves and making the already-important targeting mechanic more important?

Here's the thing tho: they did not make any significant changes other than making it more visual queue focused rather than reading the Combat tab (maybe revamp on the special moves will take it further) but the people in this thread already scream they ruined combat with so many changes made to it which proves they had no ideea how combat worked because they did not need to because they could kill anything just fine without playing the game.

If you were to ask me i would like combat to be instant not based on wurm seconds and stuff but rather on swing timer of the weapons but then again this proposal would probably make half of wurm current population gasp for air.

So hopefully these initial changes will attract more players that like the combat aspect of the game they are playing too so the current player base will stop blackmailing the dev team from making any updates to the game's system because they like it like it is.

They might like it how it is but the point is for Wurm to be able to get a larger player base than currently and for that they need to adress aspects of the game that are underdeveloped and underepresented. Combat is definately one of them.

Dear devs people will always resist change but that does not mean it does not have to happen is how the human race got to where it is today.

So yeah you have to be considerate and not completely alienate any of the people that are sitting at either end of the spectrum in regards to how combat works and feels and hopefully after testing it by some miracle people could come up with suggestions and feedback that could make it even better.

• Like 1

One of the most useful parts of the mining runes/imbues is that you can get ores above the ql of the vein, by looking at what's going to change I assume that's mostly going out the window as well? That would be a shame.

And increasing the minimum quality output, what does that do? Right now we get ql 1 stuff when we fail, is that going to become ql 10 for example? If so then I cannot imagine something more useless than that, both at low and high skill. At high skill there's no point, at low skill you likely won't even know that this stuff exists anyway as you don't have the skills to partake in rifts/unique hunts at that point.

So I have to ask, who are these changes for exactly? And can we get some actual worked out before/after examples for clarity?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

One of the most useful parts of the mining runes/imbues is that you can get ores above the ql of the vein, by looking at what's going to change I assume that's mostly going out the window as well? That would be a shame.

You are right. And I more and more get the impression that it is intentionally done to hurt old players and SFI.

8 minutes ago, Ekcin said:
28 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

You are right. And I more and more get the impression that it is intentionally done to hurt old players and SFI.

Wurm was designed to reward hard work.

Then people get their hands on imbues and runes and all of a sudded you dont need high skill to get high ql ore, you dont need to find a high ql vein to get high ql ore and you can improve to high ql fast and easy.

The way i see it they are just fixing a previous mistake... the boons they provide are too powerfull.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Wurm was designed to reward hard work.

Then people get their hands on imbues and runes and all of a sudded you dont need high skill to get high ql ore, you dont need to find a high ql vein to get high ql ore and you can improve to high ql fast and easy.

The way i see it they are just fixing a previous mistake... the boons they provide are too powerfull.

You are anything but a miner, have no clues about imbues, and are spouting nonsense.  Or knowingly and malevolently are spouting disinformation and rubbish.

A low level player, say of lvl 50. may raise her ql gained from ql50 and above veins to 55 with a bronze rune of Libila. Amazing. If the pick is imbued to 100 (I do not have a single tool imbued that high) the ql may rise above 60, dunno, maybe to 75, for a small fraction of the yield. And the pick, unless rare or better, will lose imbue fast. And do you know how many GL bloods it takes to get a pick smeared even above 80? No you don't, or are outright dishonest.

Having enough potions to smear tools that high you must have participated in a considerable number of the according slayings, or spend not few silver for. The resource is fairly limited. And it is outright unfair to disown those who have taken efforts, be it by hunting and participating in unique hunts, be it by spending the silvers or bartering valuables for the potions.

I am certainly not one who can be blamed not to have put hard work into my Wurm characters. I fail to see the same with you (ok whose alt ever you are).

• Like 3