Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Merry Christmas!

18 minutes ago, KillerSpike said:

It is not about how high our skill is.  This is about that once again things are changed without interaction of what the players want.

How can one player know what the players want?

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Reworking the imbues and runes.
Previously, imbues and runes gave a massive boost to the top end of effective skill, allowing resulting items to be far greater quality than your skill. 
With this rework, we aim to keep some of that ability to exceed your maximum skill, but the focus is on increasing the minimum quality output, meaning it is far more effective at lower levels, while at higher levels skill is far more rewarding. 
This will apply to both the Northern Freedom Isles and Southern Freedom Isles. 

Rifts, Runes and Imbues will return on our patch on 29th December. 

Basically, since this game and very old and reaching 100ql materials was already extremely grindy, we decided to make it even way harder than before, because new players? i guess?
By nerfing the higher end of imbues, that was the only useful side of imbues.

But now you can mine , idk, 50ql iron with 20 mining and your 100 imbue pick that you obviously have and need at 20 mining? Who knows.

Thanks for making yet another change without any idea of how the "actually playing the game" meta works :D

I guess i might still not get back for a while.

• Like 5
  • Cat 2

Yo can I get that uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

UI text scaling?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

From my discussion with Retro about the impact of mining rune and imbues I got the impression that  the devs and team have no real clue of full insight of the mechanics they are now destroying.

How surprising.

• Like 1
  • Cat 2

To add that, while NFI participation has continued dropping, and is hopefully stabilizing now, SFI participation has reached, and frequently exceeded half of simultaneous NFI population. It went even much higher during unique slayings as the main frequently recurrent events (thanks to Stanlee, Ehizellbob and others making them possible). Bloods are a significant factor of fun and motivation for participating in these events. Obviously the devs decided  to destroy that fun.  It cannot be seen how that should help the game.

In fact, there may be a couple of sectors where imbued stuff may be overpowered. It would have been a considerate way to discuss in advance which changes were planned, and what the outcome would be. Instead we get a "christmas present" forced down our throat.

To sum up the reasoning behind this.

Imbues are very-lategame pve stuff that is extremely expensive to get to 100 and most players never really cared about them because they costed too much and were far  beyond their budget, even in their previously "overpowered" state, now they are going to cost far more, because of total scarcity and everyone "missing" them.
So you decide to balance them to be good earlygame and bad in lategame. Yeah, because imbues are totally earlygame stuff.
Seriously, who tought of this? :D
Also: We begged you countless times to discuss technical stuff like this with people that actually play the game in a non-casual-player approach, but nope, you did it again.
Well done, lol

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Christmas time is giving time!
The tradition continues with our Christmas gifts, with the main one being a - wow, almost had me spill it! You’ll have to check what it is come gift-giving time.

That said, we know Northern Freedom Isles have missed out on all the previous years so we are including a special gift pack that will contain a random gift from years prior being given to all players on both Northern Isles and Southern Isles!

You can also celebrate the silly season with our special Candy Cane short sword as this months Marks store skin! 

But you the hell freaked me out with that picture on startup screen - I thought Wurm got hacked! 

That's amazing graphics, too bad there are no two-handed candy-canes, not many of us use short swords. It is also very nice you listened to our suggestions about gifts, I am a new player and while I can buy stuff from older players I would indeed be happy to get one of these myself. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Reworking the imbues and runes.
Previously, imbues and runes gave a massive boost to the top end of effective skill, allowing resulting items to be far greater quality than your skill. 
With this rework, we aim to keep some of that ability to exceed your maximum skill, but the focus is on increasing the minimum quality output, meaning it is far more effective at lower levels, while at higher levels skill is far more rewarding. 
This will apply to both the Northern Freedom Isles and Southern Freedom Isles. 

Rifts, Runes and Imbues will return on our patch on 29th December. 

That honestly freaks me out. I got my tools imbued, I am in my 70s and I do not feel I am overpowered. I am getting like 76 iron ore or 72 marble at mining 56. If you overdo that we will be even more dependent on big fish, old, rich high level players - and this is also one of issues commonly raised in user feedback. Imbues are expensive, so it is not like everyone has imbue 100 pickaxe, and also it is not like you can buy them en masse. Honestly I would leave it as is. But please let us know exactly what are you planning before you do that, because as you remember that channelling change not consulted with us caused a massive outrage and rage-quits. Let's remember we are still talking about raw materials that are useless without a decent skill anyway. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

To add that, while NFI participation has continued dropping, and is hopefully stabilizing now, SFI participation has reached, and frequently exceeded half of simultaneous NFI population. It went even much higher during unique slayings as the main frequently recurrent events (thanks to Stanlee, Ehizellbob and others making them possible). Bloods are a significant factor of fun and motivation for participating in these events. Obviously the devs decided  to destroy that fun.  It cannot be seen how that should help the game.

In fact, there may be a couple of sectors where imbued stuff may be overpowered. It would have been a considerate way to discuss in advance which changes were planned, and what the outcome would be. Instead we get a "christmas present" forced down our throat.

no.. I'll disagree here, it's not ruining these events.. just the result from imbues, +you'll still get some bonus from imbue, just wont be op to have 70miner gathering actually useful ql ore.

Nobody cares for the 20 mining skiled able to get ql50 with a pickaxe worth(well long ago 40euro), now it's ~15silver on a GOOD DAY

As for the few uniques that's only 1-3 in 2 months.. vs 8 or more spawning each month and majority being priv killed or farmed for the hide/scale just to shank everybody's fun for profits.. sad for the game and other players.

Unique change for the better of all? #nope

rifts are the only events.. still happening at inconvenient times, taking so long, to reach, do and return home from.. and now rewards will be even more useless

We need a post of the degrading qol with the changing mechanics of past 2 years.. 😩

• Like 1

You seem to have no clue about mining. A miner with 70 skill won't pull much over 80 even if pick is runed+imbued. I know what I am pulling with mining 98.22 with my rare, runed, and imbued pick. Last I used it was to get some thousand gold and so from a ql 60 vein for an impalong. Really great christmas gift to make such support harder.

And let the private slayers have their fun. There are not few public slayings these times, fortunately. But with bloods becoming worthless participation may wane.

Edited by Ekcin

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

How can one player know what the players want?

I don't and I never did say I know what everybody wants. thus there should be consultation

31 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

You seem to have no clue about mining. A miner with 70 skill won't pull much over 80 even if pick is runed+imbued. I know what I am pulling with mining 98.22 with my rare, runed, and imbued pick. Last I used it was to get some thousand gold and so from a ql 60 vein for an impalong. Really great christmas gift to make such support harder.

And let the private slayers have their fun. There are not few public slayings these times, fortunately. But with bloods becoming worthless participation may wane.

I dont really understood the problem.

With 90 Mining at 90 vein.
Now you will get like 10-20% ql 90-100 metal.
After patch you will get (have a guess) 40% or something ql 90 metal.

Sounds for me like a very good trade, you get more better metal out of veins.

Edited by Sputnix
  • Like 1

If only people who landed a successful hit would get hide/scale then there would be less private slayings I think. 

7 minutes ago, Sputnix said:

After patch you will get (have a guess) 40% or something ql 90 metal.

Sounds for me like a very good trade, you get more better metal out of veins.

This will cause imp price to skyrocket, and these are already expensive, considering the fact that impers rarely accept barters etc. this will also make newer or poorer players having no access to the good tools.

8 minutes ago, Platyna said:

This will cause imp price to skyrocket, and these are already expensive, considering the fact that impers rarely accept barters etc. this will also make newer or poorer players having no access to the good tools.

imps have never been that cheap as are now

Edited by Votip

This literally makes it better for lategame, not worse. It makes it so you can’t achieve ore 20 points of quality above your skill, which is frankly ridiculously busted, particularly combined with rarity and runes.

Hitting 50 mining is a matter of a few days. 70 is a week. Being able to mine 70q ore at 50 skill is *crazy*, as would being able to mine 80q at 70, or 90q at 80.

Imbues are expensive because of how good they are, but that doesn’t justify their power. They marginalize people who have actually grinded skills to 70/80/90 etc in order to mine ore of that quality. Now, they will REWARD people for going for higher skill, and will stop said skills from being devalued due to the existence of imbues, while still helping lower skills at least bump up the quality they can go for slightly.

The 10% gather quality rune should’ve been gutted alongside this imo.

Note: I still agree with Platyna that the details of the change should be publicized first before changing. Easy to screw up the math, here.

Edited by RainRain
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, RainRain said:

This literally makes it better for lategame, not worse. It makes it so you can’t achieve ore 20 points of quality above your skill, which is frankly ridiculously busted, particularly combined with rarity and runes.

Hitting 50 mining is a matter of a few days. 70 is a week. Being able to mine 70q ore at 50 skill is *crazy*, as would being able to mine 80q at 70, or 90q at 80.

Imbues are expensive because of how good they are, but that doesn’t justify their power. They marginalize people who have actually grinded skills to 70/80/90 etc in order to mine ore of that quality. Now, they will REWARD people for going for higher skill, and will stop said skills from being devalued due to the existence of imbues, while still helping lower skills at least bump up the quality they can go for slightly.

The 10% gather quality rune should’ve been gutted alongside this imo.

Yes, if you grind, some players prefer to take it easy, a lot of players complain that Wurm is too grindy, so we now make the step backwards. It was a fair trade - if you didn't want to grind mining you had to do something else to earn money or to collect potions for imbues to get some decent resources. Now, if imbues will be nerfed too much you will have no choice of your preferred game play - you will have to sit and grind and of course you will have no way to compete with people who play this 10 years is so. I would like to stress this out - it is the same situations as the black dye - we are not talking about items that costs 20c each, but these that costs 2-5s each, and still give a pretty random bonus when applied and that bonus decays when the imbued item is used. 

Edited by Platyna

It shouldn’t be a choice at all to be able to pay to skip weeks of grinding a skill to raise said skill, at least not significantly (rare bonuses for example, are fine due to how they work and how small they are).

If you want to skip the labour, you can just directly buy the product (higher quality ore in this case), not the ability to produce it yourself.

Why do you even wanna with 6 months play time to compete with someone that plays 10 years in a first place? And why you should have same or better output then them or whoever put an effort to grind

Edited by Tor
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RainRain said:

It shouldn’t be a choice at all to be able to pay to skip weeks of grinding a skill to raise said skill, at least not significantly (rare bonuses for example, are fine due to how they work and how small they are).

If you want to skip the labour, you can just directly buy the product (higher quality ore in this case), not the ability to produce it yourself.

I never said I want to skip any labour, but imbues as they are now allowed us to choose a different path to achieve goals, unless you say that finding fallen deeds and selling tems, breeding animals or grinding FS enough to be able to participate in unique fights is not labour. 

5 minutes ago, Platyna said:

I never said I want to skip any labour, but imbues as they are now allowed us to choose a different path to achieve goals, unless you say that finding fallen deeds and selling tems, breeding animals or grinding FS enough to be able to participate in unique fights is not labour. 

Uh, honestly none of those 3 things sound like labour. You can hit 70 fs in a day with 50q (lower, even. I hit 50 with 30q gear and that was just because i was too lazy to keep hunting) gear, breeding is intensive on defiance because you can breed animals every hour on the hour (including females who give birth in as little as 30 minutes lol), but when it takes literal real life weeks for animals to give birth it’s not that bad.

Finding deeds sounds more like a hobby than labour.

Edited by RainRain

31 minutes ago, RainRain said:

Note: I still agree with Platyna that the details of the change should be publicized first before changing. Easy to screw up the math, here.

I agree.

22 minutes ago, Platyna said:

Yes, if you grind, some players prefer to take it easy, a lot of players complain that Wurm is too grindy, so we now make the step backwards. It was a fair trade - if you didn't want to grind mining you had to do something else to earn money or to collect potions for imbues to get some decent resources. Now, if imbues will be nerfed too much you will have no choice of your preferred game play - you will have to sit and grind and of course you will have no way to compete with people who play this 10 years is so. I would like to stress this out - it is the same situations as the black dye - we are not talking about items that costs 20c each, but these that costs 2-5s each, and still give a pretty random bonus when applied and that bonus decays when the imbued item is used. 

Hmm if you are not interestet in mining, than buy ore by Players they are.

Why not collect money to buy ore insted of collect money to buy expencive items that allow you to get ore with less skill?
Sounds more as a nerf to multi toon players and a buff for skilled players.
Like some new player like to mine and do nothing other, they can now sell his work, before gathering resources is/was worthless.

15 minutes ago, Tor said:

Why do you even wanna with 6 months play time to compete with someone that plays 10 years in a first place? And why you should have same or better output then them or whoever put an effort to grind

This.

New players can still fast and good in some skills, just not jack of all trades like old players.

Edited by Sputnix

3 hours ago, SirMuttley said:

Depends on if we *must* respond to the triggers in a short time in order to not get slaughtered by a cow. If we do then those of us with poor internet connections or no desire to be twitchy will suffer and will probably lose interest in the game. Time will tell.

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This will also include an update to auto fight which will handle most of this aspect if you so wish to, albeit a little less effectively. 

sounds like it'll be exactly the same as it currently is, where if you actively choose target areas you get bonuses compared to just afk slapping them

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The goal is to encourage attacking undefended areas while actively defending areas being targetted. This will also include an update to auto fight which will handle most of this aspect if you so wish to, albeit a little less effectively. 

First, Giving people choices that are equal is the proper way to do things. An auto fight that is a little less effective is essentially penalizing us who like easier combat.

Second, Will Wurm fully explain the fight system please? It needs to be explained so we know how to fight at the very least.

• Like 2