Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Merry Christmas!

1.png

Pictures from the shoutbox - Guess who (@votip)

End of a year

And wow, what a year 2020 has been! With all the disruption going on in the world, Wurm has had its own journey, with the removal of RMT, account trading, and finally, launching on Steam!

We've got some things in the works before the year is out, so let's get on with sharing it!

Christmas time is giving time!
The tradition continues with our Christmas gifts, with the main one being a - wow, almost had me spill it! You’ll have to check what it is come gift-giving time.

That said, we know Northern Freedom Isles have missed out on all the previous years so we are including a special gift pack that will contain a random gift from years prior being given to all players on both Northern Isles and Southern Isles!

Note: these gifts require the player to be premium to receive. The vintage gift pack is received when the Christmas gift is opened. 

You can also celebrate the silly season with our special Candy Cane short sword as this months Marks store skin! 

2.png

Hercules in New Haven

Rifts in the Northern Isles
After Christmas, we'll be introducing Rifts to Northern Freedom Isles! 
For a full rundown of Rifts, check out this wiki link here:
https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Rift

We'll also be using this update to introduce runes, source, and allow imbues to be mixed and imbued on items following their rework:

Reworking the imbues and runes.
Previously, imbues and runes gave a massive boost to the top end of effective skill, allowing resulting items to be far greater quality than your skill. 
With this rework, we aim to keep some of that ability to exceed your maximum skill, but the focus is on increasing the minimum quality output, meaning it is far more effective at lower levels, while at higher levels skill is far more rewarding. 
This will apply to both the Northern Freedom Isles and Southern Freedom Isles. 

Rifts, Runes and Imbues will return on our patch on 29th December. 

Fighting Fit
One of our first goals on the roadmap was addressing the combat system, and reworking it to make it a little more interactive and rewarding. 
This work is ongoing, with plans for public testing in January but for now, here's a little teaser.

3.png

• The goal is to encourage attacking undefended areas while actively defending areas being targetted. This will also include an update to auto fight which will handle most of this aspect if you so wish to, albeit a little less effectively. 
  • Special attacks are being buffed and reworked to be more rewarding in PvE combat as well as more useful in PvP combat. 
  • We are increasing the amount of visual feedback through creature status and in-game effects, aimed at reducing reliance on the combat log. 

Stay tuned for the new year when we announce public testing, both PvP and PvE! 

Biting Bugs!
Some more news behind the scenes is the addition of Willow as our QA lead! She will be tackling bug reports, patch testing, and other various aspects to do with all things buggy and testing. 

Feeling Fatigued

There's been an ongoing discussion around fatigue, and we know that it is a cause of annoyance for players who hit that wall. We want you to know that we are listening, and while we haven't decided on a full decision, we are discussing possible changes. 

News from the shoutbox:

Archaic: Merry Christmas everyone!
Nirav: I LOVE EVERYBODY!  LOOK AT ALL YOU BRILLIANT SHINY SHARDS! YAAAAAY!
Bittereinder: Let's make 2021 the best WO year ever!!
Libila: Make Magranon a Black Light priest!

Somehow I don’t think Libila wants the competition...

If you want to contribute your news, comments, or fan art, submit it to our shoutbox here!
https://wurm.gg/shoutbox

That’s it from us this week, I hope you all have a safe and happy festive season, keep an eye out for Christmas Critters across the lands, and as always, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 15
  • Cat 3

First.

Also, why only love for NFI? Not everyone in SFI has been around since the start of the game.

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

Also, why only love for NFI? Not everyone in SFI has been around since the start of the game.

It's being given to all players, not just NFI, I will clarify that further

• Like 2

Does all previous years include stuff all the way to 2005 (Bag of Keeping)? And Farwalker amulets from 2007? Or are some things excluded? I could imagine that these might be undesired on PvP servers.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

Could've at least announced what the rune and imbue nerf is percisely going to result in. A higher average quality is absolutely useless, nobody spends a dreadful long time at rifts and all to get a higher average quality (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ worst christmas ever.

• Like 4

Aww Retro! A VI on my bday! You shouldn’t have 😊

Glad to hear about rifts, runes and imbues coming to NFI. Even though they will be nerfed, I feel this is one nerf that is needed pretty badly. 

Im also looking forward to testing out the new combat stuff. Let us know when that will be available.

Also, I’ve seen strange creatures roaming the land! Are these for the Christmas event? Anything else to look forward to?

• Like 1

Sounds like combat is going to get more twitchy, ugh. The rest sounds awesome though!

Just now, SirMuttley said:

Sounds like combat is going to get more twitchy, ugh. The rest sounds awesome though!

Doesn’t look twitch based to me. Looks like it will be similar to the current system with more visual feedback instead of having to read the combat window. I bet most people don’t understand the richness of Wurm combat. Hopefully these tweaks will make it so the current meta of just standing there until the mob dies becomes less optimal.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Adam! 🥰

Also great news i am very excited and yes Libila needs the competition just Fo and Vyn and Magranon compete with eachother (in theory because in practice is vyn pve and fo pvp) so i think moving Magranon to BL then balancing spells and bonuses 2v2 would be enticing people to have Magranon priests and make life easier for the devs in the pvp threads.

L.E. Also BL needs a priest that can dig so Mag coming over would be the perfect oportunity to give one of them this ability while taking away another (like woodcutting)

Edited by Cipacadrinho

@Retrograde

these gift packs to all players is that all players or all prem players?

Also fantastic stuff, really looking forward to next year for the new combat.

Edited by Badvoc

GO WILLOW!!! Gratz!!

I'm sooo tempted to get the candy canes for mine.

Thankfully no remodeling things in this one. My hunt for 100 continues. Take that, Retro!

MERRY CHRISTMAS,, BLESSED YULE AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL MY  DEAR WURMIANS!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

@Retrograde

these gift packs to all players is that all players or all prem players?

Also fantastic stuff, really looking forward to next year for the new combat.

Prem players

4 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Doesn’t look twitch based to me. Looks like it will be similar to the current system with more visual feedback instead of having to read the combat window. I bet most people don’t understand the richness of Wurm combat. Hopefully these tweaks will make it so the current meta of just standing there until the mob dies becomes less optimal.

Depends on if we *must* respond to the triggers in a short time in order to not get slaughtered by a cow. If we do then those of us with poor internet connections or no desire to be twitchy will suffer and will probably lose interest in the game. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I just wonder why all the nice things in game get taken and nerfed the hell out of it.

Never something is boosted that is meaning full to us as players.

Just keep on making the game a little less fun every mayor update

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

2.pngYou can also celebrate the silly season with our special Candy Cane short sword as this months Marks store skin! 

Why not small axe or axe skin(seems more fitting the model), also isn't short sword one of the most uncommon weapons to be used pve/pvp..

on 2nd note, this is the most ridiculous(not in completely bad way, just) hardly fitting wurm theme(s), just my 2 coppers

the-happening-gif.gifobama-memes-.jpg

21 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

Sounds like you will be able to go to the test server see how the reality feels and then be able to give feedback and suggestions based on your experience there.

As feared, the imbue and runes nerf without a chance to discuss, test on test server etc. Another fun taken from long term players. Want to have the churn rate of beginners with the veterans too? Merry Christmas.

• Like 4

Just now, Ekcin said:

As feared, the imbue and runes nerf without a chance to discuss, test on test server etc. Another fun taken from long term players. Want to have the churn rate of beginners with the veterans too? Merry Christmas.

A veteran player should already have high skill in the gathering of resources so i don't see the problem.

5 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

A veteran player should already have high skill in the gathering of resources so i don't see the problem.

It is not about how high our skill is.  This is about that once again things are changed without interaction of what the players want.

• Like 4

Personally I do not use imbue.. was fun to get 10% from runes.. picks up your 90 skill nicely.. giving you good boost for resources.

Back to dark ages.. where ql90 iron vein is useless and you need to look for that 1 in 20 or worse rate.. utmost veins.. *yaaaayy*

#Nay

• Like 1

Does... does this mean that I can start collecting gnomes again?!?!?!?

HappyCryingEmoji.jpg

• Like 5

We can be certain that the nerf is so substantial that it takes out most of the use and fun of both runes and imbues. Otherwise the changes, their intended purpose and balance wise reasons could have been presented, discussed, and tested on the test server, the experiences evaluated later.

From my discussion with Retro about the impact of mining rune and imbues I got the impression that  the devs and team have no real clue of full insight of the mechanics they are now destroying.

• Like 3