Sign in to follow this  
Yng

Error on Guard tower page

On the guard tower page it says that towers need to be placed 50 tiles apart which I think is correct. But that means that each tower is in the middle of a 51 tiles square where no other towers can be build.  

The way I read the current wiki text is that the tower is in a 101 tiles square, which is not correct.

Guard towers must be situated at least 50 tiles apart on Freedom servers. Note that it's NOT the actual "distance" that counts, but it has to be 50 tiles in each direction, e.g. going 50 tiles north and then 50 tiles west. ** So, a new tower actually must be outside a square of 101 tiles sidelength, with the existing tower in the middle.

50 tiles in each direction makes a 101 tile square centered on the tower, whats wrong with that?

That it only takes 25 tiles in each direction for the towers to be 50 tiles apart. 😉

Edited by Yng

I don't get your math, I understand like Oblivionreaver and Wurmpedia states.

Edited by Kadmint

31 minutes ago, Yng said:

That it only takes 25 tiles in each direction for the towers to be 50 tiles apart.

Yes, but still any new tower must be "outside a square of 101 tiles sidelength, with the existing tower in the middle". That line is still correct.

Well, perhaps I misinterpret the line "outside a square of 101 tiles sidelength". I read that as the sides of the square are 101 tiles long and 101 tiles wide for each tower. That would mean that each tower needs to be in the middle of a 101 x 101 square.

So I made a drawing of how I understand the situation. Tested it as well because I just build my tower like I drew in the picture. 

ANzsZGu.png 

So if the towers are at the x-es, there would be a distance of 25 tiles to the 'border' of the zone where you can not build another tower. Both towers have such a zone, making the total distance between the towers 50 tiles. Because there is a 25 tile zone around the tower, all sides of the square would be 51 tiles long. So I don't get the 101 tiles.

12 minutes ago, Yng said:

Both towers have such a zone

Here is the misunderstanding. Wiki states that the next tower can be anywhere outside the 101x101 square! So it can be right outside the boundary.

j1SCNK7.png

• Like 1

Yaga this image should be on the Wiki. If I had perms to work with images I would put it, it is very nice. ;)

Ah, now I understand. Still think it's confusing though with just the text. The image would definitely help. 

Thanks for clearing that up Yaga. 

3 hours ago, Yng said:

The image would definitely help. 

I'll check if I can add an image. (The one above is just a quick draft.) 

On 12/17/2020 at 6:37 PM, Yaga said:

I'll check if I can add an image. (The one above is just a quick draft.) 

If you don't have permissions, just let one of us know and we'll upload a pic for that page. Seems like a good idea to clarify.