Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Let us craft and improve yule goat and yule reindeer, picnic baskets...

Thatching is a skill that could use some love. There are just two items to make for a whole skill, almost no one trains it, while IRL so many amazing items are made from thatch, reed and canes. 

• Like 1

No. Those are christmas gifts. Maybeeee on Northern Isles. I am down to imp though. But no to crafting. Maybe a straw hat should be considered?

Yes, they are Christmas gifts, so they should be crafted, currently most of them rots in inventories of old rich players. It could be done with bedrolls, so why not with the Yule goat or reindeer? It is just a decoration. 

4 minutes ago, Platyna said:

Yes, they are Christmas gifts, so they should be crafted, currently most of them rots in inventories of old rich players. It could be done with bedrolls, so why not with the Yule goat or reindeer? It is just a decoration. 

If every gift is craftable, why have gifts given out anymore. I stand by my statement. 100% no. There is tons avail on the player market anyways and usually only cost 50c to 1s usually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Platyna said:

Yes, they are Christmas gifts, so they should be crafted

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

2 hours ago, Platyna said:

It is just a decoration. 

right now its special, but if you make them craftable then they lose that and become another generic decoration yeah

• Like 1

I personally feel that it would be fine if christmas gifts became craftable a few years after their release. Yes it devalues them and turns them into generic decorations, but what's wrong with that? It gives every player more options for decorating their deeds, especially those who started some time after the gifts.

Timed exclusives like that seems like a good middle ground to me.

• Like 2

I can't help thinking of the craftable bedroll - well, what with the ridiculous volume of materials, marginally craftable, and with a de-buffed benefit.  If that's what craftable versions of gifts are going to be, then no thanks for me.

I think the noncraftability of event gifts is a good thing.  They are almost the only items in Wurm with a genuine level of scarcity.  It should certainly be possible to maintain them (repair and improve), but any craftable version should be something similar but distinct - a replica or something.  Maybe a scaled down version.

Able to imp, sure but as others have said adding the ability of crafting such things takes away the thing that makes them special.

18 hours ago, Platyna said:

I think the "it is just a decoration" bit is of key importance.  @Platyna, would you be happy to be able to craft a replica of a gift - something that looks similar, maybe a bit smaller or with some different features?

I think bedrolls are good example of how NOT to make a craftable version of a Christmas gift.  I have made quite a few, because they are marginally useful to travelers, but their usefulness is marginal, especially when considering the material involved.  The thing needs 174 wool (that means a mob of roughly 35 sheep).

Edited by TheTrickster
random commas

I just want to improve thatching skill and make it fun and useful to train. This, besides paving is one of most skills that need some love. 

There are alternatives to this that could be crafted such as hats, bales, maybe a bed? Or a new tile type. The options are out there! Heck even a scarecrow!

I honestly see no reason why excellent art work is wasted on items that after like 5 years just a few chosen ones have. Straw animals is an art, done IRL, so it seemed to be an obvious choice for thatching skill:

16873093-three-straw-animals-horse-cow-a

It's really not 'just a few chosen ones' though. They're some of the few limited edition items in the whole game so their numbers are fixed, but they're readily bought and sold all year round on the market so they're not out of anyone's reach who'd like a slice of history.

I agree with the folks suggesting craftable versions that differ in some way, akin to the bed rolls, so the specialness of the original gifts is maintained but everyone gets more deco items to craft (which I'm always in favour of).

• Like 1