Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Weapon Smithing - Add new professions

Armor Smithing:  Plate, Chain, etc - very nice!

Weapon Smithing: Heads and Blades - needs work.

Why not add the sub skills of:

-Polearm Smithing

-Sword Smithing

-Maul Smithing

-Tool Smithing (knives, sickles, etc)

-Axes, etc....

Other sub skill too, but this creates a lot of new options for someone wanting to venture into weaponsmithing, without that daunting 5x skill modifier.  I've never quite understood the way it was set up like that, when other skills (like armor smithing) are subdivided into armor types.  Is this simply part of the expanding skill set that was never added into the game?  Is it now not possible because weapon smiths will be so very upset if it is subdivided into weapon types?

This has probably been suggested long ago, but worth bringing up again to see if there is a possibility for future changes and if not, to get an understanding of why.

• Like 4

Weapon head smithing and Blade smithing doesnt have titles, maybe just add that

• Like 3

I like this, it'll make weapon smithing less of a massive pain and makes a lot of sense.

For those who already have weaponsmithing: Just give them spread out points in the subskills if implemented. If done well they wouldn't even notice the change.

Huge:

+1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

-Polearm Smithing

-Sword Smithing

-Maul Smithing

-Axes, etc....

Other sub skill too, but this creates a lot of new options for someone wanting to venture into weaponsmithing, without that daunting 5x skill modifier.  I've never quite understood the way it was set up like that, when other skills (like armor smithing) are subdivided into armor types.  Is this simply part of the expanding skill set that was never added into the game?  Is it now not possible because weapon smiths will be so very upset if it is subdivided into weapon types?

This has probably been suggested long ago, but worth bringing up again to see if there is a possibility for future changes and if not, to get an understanding of why.

yes

shieldsmithing is 1 skill, shield mastery have 1000 variations to grind, opinion?

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

shieldsmithing is 1 skill, shield mastery have 1000 variations to grind, opinion?

Sure, switch it between wood/metal shieldsmithing. Two completely different things. That would make perfect sense.

As cool as it sounds and you get my +1, but i remember Keenan or someone from the devs explaining why we cant have anymore skills that the number is set on stone due the code, would be possible by removing some skills to get new ones iirc

this might be total BS, but something like that was explained it was over a year ago.

You can remove tracking, toy making, among many more useless skills that nobody grinds for any real benefit for their accounts

20 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

As cool as it sounds and you get my +1, but i remember Keenan or someone from the devs explaining why we cant have anymore skills that the number is set on stone due the code, would be possible by removing some skills to get new ones iirc

this might be total BS, but something like that was explained it was over a year ago.

If that's a thing then that's a real problem moving forward when adding new things to the game

9 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

-Polearm Smithing

-Sword Smithing

-Maul Smithing

-Axes, etc....

UcM.gif

The fact all weapons are covered under one skill is a significant benefit and nothing good will come from suddenly sweeping that away and dividing it between a load more subskills, of which most people wont bother with because mauls and stuff suck. Also taking high weaponsmiths skill away suddenly is going to create a significant amount of backlash and vitriol for basically 0 long term benefit.

Focus less on splitting up the system in a way that makes little sense, and more on finding a way to make blade/heads smithing worthwhile or just their removal tbh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madnath said:

The fact all weapons are covered under one skill is a significant benefit and nothing good will come from suddenly sweeping that away and dividing it between a load more subskills, of which most people wont bother with because mauls and stuff suck. Also taking high weaponsmiths skill away suddenly is going to create a significant amount of backlash and vitriol for basically 0 long term benefit.

Focus less on splitting up the system in a way that makes little sense, and more on finding a way to make blade/heads smithing worthwhile or just their removal tbh.

This highlights the big issue with it would negatively reinforce the flavour of the month weapon type as they would be the popular skills and so cheaper. Also you'd only be able to create high ql carving knives to sweet spot "Tool Smithing" (On that note I'd prefer it be called "Knifemaking/Knife Smithing" to avoid confusion on what is a tool and a blacksmithing tool). 

As a weaponsmith with a bit of skill I actually like that the game has some harder skills to grind, maybe it would be better if they were less significant in the market but honestly its not that bad to do it just takes time.

I Agree on blade and head smithing. Don't see much point in those.  We don't have handle or shaft making in the carp tree, so it seems really strange.  The higher your carp and higher your source material, the higher QL result (generally). 

8 hours ago, GroeneAppel said:

For those who already have weaponsmithing: Just give them spread out points in the subskills if implemented. If done well they wouldn't even notice the change.

This seems pretty reasonable, or go so far as to give every sub skill the same skill level as the legacy weaponsmith already had.  Now if they don't care about anything but axes and tools, they can spend 2/5 the time grinding both up to 99.9 as they would the parent WS skill.

Also, to expand on my personal benefit from this suggestion, I already have a master WS alt, so I don't need a boost to my weapon making capability.  Who does is the newer player, that doesn't have a few years in the game.  Yes, you can grind it up in a few months, but not solo.  It requires a strong support infrastructure around you to provide all your other needs to enable the fast grind.  Enchants, high QL tools, very specific knowledge on sweet spot grinding mechanics. Lots of SB.  Lots and lots of SB.

Already having 90+ WS, I would personally look forward to bumping my weapon tools to 99.  I PvE, so I would not need to push the true weapons higher.  On the NFI cluster, I used a q 50 axe to hit 70 FS, before I upgraded to some higher Q.  Only thing on PvE that really needs more is certain champs/greens and Uniques.

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

total bs, should be 1 skill for using shields too

5 hours ago, Tor said:

just delete blade and heads smithing

nope.. why did I grind to 90 on these..

How about removing utterly useless skills such as Ballistae / trebuchets?

hell even crap like carving knife and butchering knife make no sense. What do they actually do? Do you really fight a troll with them? Good luck.

There have been many skills suggested over the years such as Cartography  - the ability to make your own in game maps -  , "Sailing" = faster sail speed, better maneuvering , "Horse riding" - most RPG games that have mounts have this skill , I especially loved it in Kingdom Come Deliverance.

There are many skills we could simply delete or replace them with better skill sets.

And if we really want to do a purge, 1/3 or Wurm's skills are utterly pointless that have minimal to no impact on the game .

Thatching? = Simply code it to "miscellaneous items".

Hammer/ Warhammer? = Just put it into the Large maul / Mauls skill set and be done with it.

• Like 3

If there is a finite number of skills that can be coded in Wurm then I can envisage issues that may deter Developers from making  changes to the existing skill set.

Elentari would surely win support in suggesting that some skills could be replaced with 'better skill sets' and some would even agree that some skills appear to have 'minimal impact'. I also like how Elentari has attempted to offer solutions to the skill limit issue!

The problem that I see is contained in  the reply from Finn where they state (rather indignantly?)

17 hours ago, Finnn said:

nope.. why did I grind to 90 on these..

I am totally sympathetic towards Finn as I too do not always concentrate on the very popular skills and sometimes find myself attracted to the supposed 'lesser skills' such as harvesting.

If there is a way around to allow new professions on top of the existing ones then you would have my vote. If it was new professions at the expense of existing ones (no matter how obscure or unpopular they may be to most) then I would have to say- at this moment- no for the reason stated above.

new skills can be in different category.. and called something else.. separated from the existing skills to not mess the monstrocity that cooking is now.. as for buffs on new skills... alchemy could finally get potion brews and whatever mixing of herbs and liquids (blah)... to get buffs for the new skills..

game can expand in not just one-way, which currently is leading to a brick wall

You bring up an interesting point - cooking.  Now that cooking is out and it overlaps every single skill, does that make it near impossible to make skill adds, removals or changes, without major complications to cooking?  I remember the huge issue where we had to choose to accept or deny the cooking fix in our profiles, because too many had already put efforts into the old formulas.  I still believe that was a massive mistake on the part of the devs, allowing for a split like that.  Should have just ripped off that bandaid and moved on.  I would have hurt for a bit, but then people get over it and move on.  Now we have this unique batch of characters that use one formula and all the rest of wurm going forward is on another formula right? Or did I miss a change where they did finally rip the bandaid?