Sign in to follow this  
Maoh

Northern Isles feedback

15 hours ago, Badvoc said:

@Hoonsuit

Ok let me tell you my stance first and then I can add a few thoughts,

Am on the fence on this one, on paper a reward for making content doesn't seem a bad thing, I mean anything at this point to keep the game engaging for the new and old players alike has to be a good thing but I can see downsides to this aswell, so unless the idea is fleshed out more, its hard to decide if i agree or not.

So can you explain how the reward system would work for content?  First of all we talking about player made content or ideas for content?  We talking about items built in the world or a game hosted in chat? what reward are you after, silver, titles something else?

I would have a big problem with silver rewards, but titles I would be fine with. Maybe if you use an area for public content the deed fee could be waived as its public content? But please explain what reward you want.

As the problems I see are many

Who decides what's good content or bad content would a reward be given so long as its content?

Would this take up more staff time having to decide what's good or bad, would the players choose?

What happens if you make the best content ands its not used do you still get a reward?

would we then just see people spamming content to get this reward.

If its just ideas if I suggested something on the forums and the devs use it, do I get a reward?

I could go on, but I think you get the idea, like I said I am not bashing the idea as such, but how can we decide if the idea is a good one without the details fleshed out?  ( dont have to spill the beans on your content ideas, just how the system would work )

I am talking about using in game items and materials to create events that other players participate in (groups of 2 - 6 approx.). No dev. involvement needed, at least for the first big idea that I have been mulling over. The event would take two or three hours to complete, depending mostly on the attention span of the players coming to participate. There is no clock running, so pauses are not a big problem. Booking groups is the drawback to delays. No, this is not some trivia game played on the chat. It would be held on a deed, in either Local Chat for spectators to watch, or could also be done in private Team Chat window if the participants preferred. Access for streams is a definite possibilty.

This first idea would require a deed approximately 30x30 to set it up and run it. Yes it's all respectable, and public safe.  I've not been after silvers, but I can easily turn this event into a "pay to play" operation. That being said, there is nothing that would stop others from copying it and undercutting prices. This is why I've wanted to go with staff backing. Make it free for players that wish to participate. I don't want to foot the bill.

My thoughts on a reward are that anything would be better than the NOTHING they currently offer. I wanted to avoid a pay to play operation and thought staff here would be interested in funding such things. I have been proved wrong on that, they don't even want to listen. It should not be up to me to determine the what the reward for content creators is, that should be up to the staff. Being paid silvers has never been part of my thoughts.

As for good content and bad content.. it's my understanding that some streamers get their deeds compensated for, if they do X amount of streams in a given amount of time. Who decides if that content is good or bad? Is one bad show enough to cancel the deed stipends? Do they only have to stream themselves making bricks for 5 hours a month to get a free deed? There should obviously be some sort of oversight on the content creators, just as there should be for the streams getting comped. Not just getting 10 friends to watch you for a couple of shows and you're good to go. I don't know I don't watch the streamers, I'm here to play this game. Obviously staff here are familiar with that kind of thing, they set up the streamer network.

I have good ideas on how to improve retention with events. But having to deal with creepy forum trolls and or staff who don't wish to listen, has put a large damper on my thoughts. There seems to be a clique here and if you're not in it, you don't get any attention. Suppressing creativity being offered, doesn't sound like a very good business plan to me. It's how do they say... very short-sighted.

Thank you for your time and questions. It is appreciated.

The next question is: What will the devs do to bring in more new players to Wurm and retain them, now that the new servers release hype has died down?

Lack of advertising for the game is one thing, but in the long term will we ever see a huge influx of new players like in the first week or two again? What can be done to accomplish this again?

I agree that retention is the primary issue. To my observation, there is still new player influx, I see 2 to <10 players on Haven frequently over day, and have even chatted with newcomers lately.

But churn rates have been high in Wurm all times. Honestly, I am not sure what to do about. Maybe some of the newcomers of the latest wave may have a say about. Frustrating and disowning old players, as the devs are doing now, is certainly the wrong way.

Edit: Maybe a new thread should be started about how to improve new player retention. Any proposals?

Edited by Ekcin

17 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

But churn rates have been high in Wurm all times. Honestly, I am not sure what to do about. Maybe some of the newcomers of the latest wave may have a say about. Frustrating and disowning old players, as the devs are doing now, is certainly the wrong way.

I can't speak for other peoples, but since I'm one of the steam babies that actually stick with the game, I'm working right now at a post about the hardships I faced in Wurm so far... it should be on today or tomorrow...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hoonsuit said:

I am talking about using in game items and materials to create events that other players participate in (groups of 2 - 6 approx.). No dev. involvement needed, at least for the first big idea that I have been mulling over. The event would take two or three hours to complete, depending mostly on the attention span of the players coming to participate. There is no clock running, so pauses are not a big problem. Booking groups is the drawback to delays. No, this is not some trivia game played on the chat. It would be held on a deed, in either Local Chat for spectators to watch, or could also be done in private Team Chat window if the participants preferred. Access for streams is a definite possibilty.

This first idea would require a deed approximately 30x30 to set it up and run it. Yes it's all respectable, and public safe.  I've not been after silvers, but I can easily turn this event into a "pay to play" operation. That being said, there is nothing that would stop others from copying it and undercutting prices. This is why I've wanted to go with staff backing. Make it free for players that wish to participate. I don't want to foot the bill.

My thoughts on a reward are that anything would be better than the NOTHING they currently offer. I wanted to avoid a pay to play operation and thought staff here would be interested in funding such things. I have been proved wrong on that, they don't even want to listen. It should not be up to me to determine the what the reward for content creators is, that should be up to the staff. Being paid silvers has never been part of my thoughts.

As for good content and bad content.. it's my understanding that some streamers get their deeds compensated for, if they do X amount of streams in a given amount of time. Who decides if that content is good or bad? Is one bad show enough to cancel the deed stipends? Do they only have to stream themselves making bricks for 5 hours a month to get a free deed? There should obviously be some sort of oversight on the content creators, just as there should be for the streams getting comped. Not just getting 10 friends to watch you for a couple of shows and you're good to go. I don't know I don't watch the streamers, I'm here to play this game. Obviously staff here are familiar with that kind of thing, they set up the streamer network.

I have good ideas on how to improve retention with events. But having to deal with creepy forum trolls and or staff who don't wish to listen, has put a large damper on my thoughts. There seems to be a clique here and if you're not in it, you don't get any attention. Suppressing creativity being offered, doesn't sound like a very good business plan to me. It's how do they say... very short-sighted.

Thank you for your time and questions. It is appreciated.

your very welcome,

So I didnt know streamers got deeds compensated, thats interesting to know.

With regards your idea, I see no reason why after a chat with Retro the area couldn't be "deed costs free, for as long as the content is ongoing" if the content matched what they think is acceptable and if Silvers are off the table as rewards ( for the best imo ) I think a fun item and a title for content that brings something to wurm is a good idea, if you going to design and run public content I fun reward could be cool,  just has to be done in a way that's not spammed and it has to be quality over quantity.

Enough with the personal attacks.  Feel free to post your ideas or suggestions (or make actual suggestions in the suggestions forum), and to discuss them without resorting to personal insults.

Pandalet (LFM)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

So I didnt know streamers got deeds compensated, thats interesting to know.

I fond this out only in the last day or two!  I was poking around the website and came across it.  Nice.

55 minutes ago, Bloodreina said:

I can't speak for other peoples, but since I'm one of the steam babies that actually stick with the game, I'm working right now at a post about the hardships I faced in Wurm so far... it should be on today or tomorrow...

Probably one of the most useful updates and implementations wurm needs atm is a survey or some feedback mechanism for players that decide to quit the game, log the responses and analyze them manually (don't let an algorithm sort it please). Not all that quit will give you any feedback but at least something is better than nothing. 

Find out WHY people leave Wurm and see what you can actually improve. 

Also find out WHY people stick with the game. That feedback will be crucial. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I fond this out only in the last day or two!  I was poking around the website and came across it.  Nice.

Are you sure that they got deeds paid by the company, and not just got the deed cost out of the returns from twitch?

Well for me, I starting wurm online with the Steam Relase, played before little bit wurm unlimited so i understand a little like mining,crafting and the beginner stuff. . But was i Missing is a good tutorial, some  Buddy who trying wurm online was overwhelmed and Leave after the frist days.

Melody was a mistake, i think. To small, to full after the frist 3 days, we have a good spot an the beach, and building a little village,make a mine, but then Came Cad. and the deed break, some settledown on cad, other leave, and i have make a break too.

But i starting again a few days ago. And Cadence is Great, found after 2 days looking a good spot for a deed, and its nice that still over 500player on the Northen isles still playing. 

For me is the Northern isles great, love too, running around and watches deed, an greating people or offer a hand to help.

But the big problem are the Animals, just found none, search over 20-30 hours on cad, and no horse,bision or cow just many deed with many many animals in fences.

Maybe settledown the limit, or spawn more? For Beginner is it hard to found a Animals for the cart, or other thing, and with 0 Silver is it hard to buy a 6s horse...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faleshar said:

But the big problem are the Animals, just found none, search over 20-30 hours on cad, and no horse,bision or cow just many deed with many many animals in fences.

Maybe settledown the limit, or spawn more? For Beginner is it hard to found a Animals for the cart, or other thing, and with 0 Silver is it hard to buy a 6s horse...

I don't really have experience with mob numbers in North, but as step one, devs please! for the love of all that has 3 legs or more - take 90% from current unicorn spawn ratio and give it to horses.

Make unicorns rare again. All servers, not just North.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

12 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Are you sure that they got deeds paid by the company, and not just got the deed cost out of the returns from twitch?

This is what I found about the Valrei Entertainment Network incentives on the webpage;

• Monthly deed stipend!
  • Contribution to giveaways!
  • Insider peeks on new and upcoming works!
  • Time with the developers! (We promise this is a bonus)

9 hours ago, Faleshar said:

This seems to be very localized.  I have generally travelled around southern Cadence, (the middle third of the southern third-ish) and do not recall a single trip without coming across animals.  I haven't seen a wild bison or wild deer for a while, but almost anything else I come across all too frequently.  I used to grab horses and cows as I went, but I since I can't give them away I have stopped doing that.

11 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

This is what I found about the Valrei Entertainment Network incentives on the webpage;

• Monthly deed stipend!
  • Contribution to giveaways!
  • Insider peeks on new and upcoming works!
  • Time with the developers! (We promise this is a bonus)

I would like to know what the requirements are to get and continue to receive this deed stipend + give-a-ways perks. Also a list of the streamer players and their deed names, as well as a link to their stream page so we can judge for ourselves if they are keeping up with the requirements needed to continue to get their stipend and give-a-way perks. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Hoonsuit said:

I would like to know what the requirements are to get and continue to receive this deed stipend + give-a-ways perks. Also a list of the streamer players and their deed names, as well as a link to their stream page so we can judge for ourselves if they are keeping up with the requirements needed to continue to get their stipend and give-a-way perks. 

Thank you.

You're welcome to check out our VEN members for sure! 

As for deciding who gets what, don't worry about that bit, that's my burden to handle! 

• Like 1

Thank you.

I am getting dizzy; can we please pick a lane?  First you keep complaining that content providers are not getting enough, now you want all the details of who gets what for what so you can literally judge them and see if they are doing enough for their rewards.

Give it a rest.

Edit:

Or just say "Bah! Humbug" and be done with it.

I thought I was a curmudgeon.

If you really "would like to know" you can go an read it, like I did.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

You're welcome to check out our VEN members for sure! 

As for deciding who gets what, don't worry about that bit, that's my burden to handle! 

You seem to be afraid of transparency and a little oversight. If you have nothing to hide, then you should welcome the interest.

Edited by Hoonsuit

Also a list of the streamer players and their deed names, as well as a link to their stream page so we can judge for ourselves if they are keeping up with the requirements needed to continue to get their stipend and give-a-way perks.

8XtjR4N.gif

What VEN doesn't need is some random dude to come along, declare they don't like their content so they don't get rewards.

Christ alive, get a grip mate lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madnath said:

8XtjR4N.gif

What VEN doesn't need is some random dude to come along, declare they don't like their content so they don't get rewards.

Christ alive, get a grip mate lol

Wanting to see if they meet the requirements and what is involved in meeting the requirements, so I can decide if I want to participate should be a welcomed thing. Don't you think?

Edited by Hoonsuit

7 minutes ago, Hoonsuit said:

Wanting to see if they meet the requirements and what is involved in meeting the requirements, so I can decide if I want to participate should be a welcomed thing. Don't you think?

What you're posting here (mostly) and what you were suggesting in my post are two entirely seperate things mate

There's a line between "I'm curous what terms I need to meet for this" and "I want to make a judgment with staff about if these streamers DESERVE their rewards"

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Madnath said:

What you're posting here (mostly) and what you were suggesting in my post are two entirely seperate things mate

There's a line between "I'm curous what terms I need to meet for this" and "I want to make a judgment with staff about if these streamers DESERVE their rewards"

It can be both 

Just now, Hoonsuit said:

It can be both 

But really, REALLY should not be the second one.

Even if the owning company want to blow their income on chocolate coated garlic and a lifetime supply of fairy bread, that is none of your concern.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

But really, REALLY should not be the second one.

Even if the owning company want to blow their income on chocolate coated garlic and a lifetime supply of fairy bread, that is none of your concern.

There should be no harm in asking question and getting answers. Those harassing people asking the questions for knowledge, should be punished. It shows their lack of intelligence.

50 minutes ago, Hoonsuit said:

You seem to be afraid of transparency and a little oversight. If you have nothing to hide, then you should welcome the interest.

Oh my god, you're serious