Sign in to follow this  
NickWJM

Breeding - Positive and Negative Traits

Dear all, 

I was hoping someone could give me some clarity about how traits work. I know the number of traits is determined at least in part by your AH skill. So at 20 you get 2 traits, 30, 3 traits etc. However, I have also read that it depends on the generation. So for example if you bred two wild horses even at 100 AH you would still only get 2 traits. If its a second generation, 3 traits etc. 

So my first question is, is the above correct?.. if so what happens if you breed horses of different generations?.. e.g. if i bred a wild horse with a second generation horse would I get 2 traits or 3?.. my testing of this isn't exactly clear.. it seems quite random. 

My next question is around positive and negative traits. I know from the wiki that breeding two parents with the same trait increases the likelihood of this being passed on, but is this the same for both positive and negative traits?.. I only ask as the wiki says inbreeding increases the chance of NEGATIVE traits being passed on.. 

As a simple example lets say I have 30 AH

Horse A - Lightening Speed + Strong Leg Muscles

Horse B - It has fleeter movement than normal + Constantly Hungry. 

Is it an equal chance between the result being a  horse with 

Lightening Speed + Strong Leg Muscles + Fleeter Movement

Compared too 

Lightening Speed + +Strong Leg Muscles + Constantly Hungry?

Assuming their not Inbred?

Thanks

As far as i know, with 30 skill there are traits you cant see, but that doesn't mean animal doesn't have them, for example It looks feeble and unhealthy cant be seen untill you have 39 skill, last one is It has a certain spark in its eyes at 41 skill (not counting two more irrelevant that are on wurmpedia), so that migh mess up your tests if you are doing with skill under 41. Unfortunatly i dont know answer to your question, haven't been into breeding beside my basic needs, perhaps some developers or more expirienced breeders can shed some light to the subject.

• Like 1