Sign in to follow this  
and0r

Rifts in Wurm Unlimited

Hello, do rifts exist in Wurm Unlimited? I read somewhere that they do not, but I'm unsure of the accuracy of the source. 

Also, the store page for Wurm Unlimited specifically states:

"Wurm Unlimited is the standalone version of the fantasy sandbox world Wurm Online and expands upon the already expansive sandbox by placing players in charge of server management, allowing them to dictate skillgain rates, action speeds, creature counts and much more."

I would argue that rifts are a significant component to gameplay, especially since the game generally has less focus on PvM, which should give even more reason to include rifts within Wurm Unlimited.

Would this statement constitute as false advertisement since rifts are specifically excluded from Wurm Unlimited?  

1 hour ago, and0r said:

Hello, do rifts exist in Wurm Unlimited? I read somewhere that they do not, but I'm unsure of the accuracy of the source. 

Also, the store page for Wurm Unlimited specifically states:

"Wurm Unlimited is the standalone version of the fantasy sandbox world Wurm Online and expands upon the already expansive sandbox by placing players in charge of server management, allowing them to dictate skillgain rates, action speeds, creature counts and much more."

I would argue that rifts are a significant component to gameplay, especially since the game generally has less focus on PvM, which should give even more reason to include rifts within Wurm Unlimited.

Would this statement constitute as false advertisement since rifts are specifically excluded from Wurm Unlimited?  

If rifts do not exist in WU it is mostly likely because they were added to WO *after* the WO/WU split. As for the highlighted bit, WU does exactly what it says there... It gives individuals the ability to run a version of wurm that they can control. 

*Note: My comment is in no way a discussion or comment as to whether WU *should* have rifts, just why it may not have them.

• Like 1

Advertising laws in the US afaik do not apply to WU as it is a game based in Sweden. I might be wrong though.

• Like 1

the rift mobs are in the game and afaik theres a mod for rifts

it never advertised that it had rifts, so no its not.

• Like 1

Some WU servers have rifts, implemented by themselve.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Some WU servers have rifts, implemented by themselve.

I dont believe this is true. 

Also, simply containing the ability to play rifts within WU is meaningless if the player cannot access them by normal means of play. This means there should be a clear option to set up rifts, as they are a significant portion of gameplay, which is why the option needs to be visible or at least accessible by some other reasonable means . There is not even any official documentation or advice to execute rifts, which definitely constitutes false advertisement here in the United States. 

Edited by and0r

You would be surprised in how the FTC actually deals with complaints.. They certainly do not ignore them

Rifts came out after wu came out so they weren't part of the game when that statement on it being a standalone version of the game was made, nor is that false advertising. Go mod it in if you want it, as sklo said other servers have done it. i'm sure if you say false advertising enough rifts will magically appear in wu though

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, and0r said:

You would be surprised in how the FTC actually deals with complaints.. They certainly do not ignore them

Sometimes the FTC is quite vigorous, however in this case I doubt you could even get their attention. I doubt they really care that you want the WU team to put rifts into the game, especially since the game did not have them when sold. In your mind, where does it end? Does the dev team need to keep WU current with all WO features?

2 hours ago, SirMuttley said:

Sometimes the FTC is quite vigorous, however in this case I doubt you could even get their attention. I doubt they really care that you want the WU team to put rifts into the game, especially since the game did not have them when sold. In your mind, where does it end? Does the dev team need to keep WU current with all WO features?

No, but they certainly need to take the time to change their description of the game within the store page for this game. That will certainly need to happen.

Feel free to take them to court in Sweden, @and0r. Even in the copied-and-pasted part of the description you've cited, there is no specific mention of it being a one-to-one clone, or even any mention of all features in WO being available in WU, so your case for "false advertisement" is pretty flimsy to begin with. One of two things will happen:

1. You'll win your case, they'll change a few words in the description, rifts will continue to not be present in the base WU game (since development has ended for it), and if you're lucky you'll be entitled to a refund of your game which won't even amount to the cost of filing your suit in the first place, let alone the other costs you'd incur.

2. The judge will laugh at you and you'll have wasted the cost of court and/or attorney fees, travel if necessary, and time, for a frivolous lawsuit with literally no implications of anything.

Or, you could forget about it and focus on something that matters. Learn how to determine what's worth caring about.

Edited by HatTrickPatrick

11 hours ago, HatTrickPatrick said:

Feel free to take them to court in Sweden, @and0r. Even in the copied-and-pasted part of the description you've cited, there is no specific mention of it being a one-to-one clone, or even any mention of all features in WO being available in WU, so your case for "false advertisement" is pretty flimsy to begin with. One of two things will happen:

1. You'll win your case, they'll change a few words in the description, rifts will continue to not be present in the base WU game (since development has ended for it), and if you're lucky you'll be entitled to a refund of your game which won't even amount to the cost of filing your suit in the first place, let alone the other costs you'd incur.

2. The judge will laugh at you and you'll have wasted the cost of court and/or attorney fees, travel if necessary, and time, for a frivolous lawsuit with literally no implications of anything.

Or, you could forget about it and focus on something that matters. Learn how to determine what's worth caring about.

I feel that it's best that I specifically not do this, and focus on trivial things such as blatant false advertising with obscure developers :)

hah, there is a rift event mod spawner... this is good... game still needs more PvE/PvM though, but this is good 

In this instance, standalone version means the original game is modified to be playable by a single player outside of the MMORPG experience. 

This bears no implication that the game is the exact same, and would actually expressly indicate the opposite, that it is a different version, and thus not expected to have the same features.