Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Lifeboats and tenders

I know this has been suggested multiple times before, but I can't find one in a hurry, so here it is anew.

Larger boats should be able to carry or tow smaller boats.

In my thinking the "smaller boats" are the rowing boat and small sailing boat, and the "larger boats" are the rest.

• The knar should be able to tow a rowing boat.
  • The corbita and cog should be able to tow either a rowing boat or a small sailing boat.
  • The caravel should be able to carry a rowing boat and tow either a rowing boat or a small sailing boat (the graphic for the caravel even has an on-deck lifeboat).

This towing would be at either no cost to speed or very little.  Every boat should also be able to tow any other boat but with a speed penalty based on the towed boat's size (something like dragging).

The rowing boat on the caravel would be shipped and launched via load/unload, and all the towing would be done like hitching/leading and animal.  

I would be great to go directly from one boat to the other, but even disembarking into the water and then embarking on the other ship would be tolerable.

This would allow "landing" or navigating through shallows.  Sail the big boat as close as possible, transfer whatever cargo you are unloading to the small boat and then take the small boat in.  Or take a passenger and their boat then they go their separate way at their destination.  You both get the speed bonus on the big boat (less whatever towing costs in speed), but have separate transportation later (good for getting to rifts, or bring your fixer-upper boat along to an impalong). 

You could sell a boat and deliver it (or buy it and pick it up) without messing around with alts, friends etc doing empty runs or relying on teleports.

Give people a reason to do something with their older, smaller boats that they built early on.

Edited by TheTrickster
(less towing)
  • Like 8

Yeah I was thinking something like this the other day, and I'd say it's be a neat feature, though I'd say only rowboats should be loadable, to keep it as balanced as possible. 

Otherwise +1

• Like 1

+1 I like this! Could also add tow ropes to rope making. See the source image

See the source image

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scooter said:

Yeah I was thinking something like this the other day, and I'd say it's be a neat feature, though I'd say only rowboats should be loadable, to keep it as balanced as possible. 

Otherwise +1

Yeah, the way I suggested it only rowboats WOULD be loadable, and only on caravels.  I had a look at boat dimensions on Wurmpedia, and really nothing but the caravel is big enough to load another boat at all (the cog is too short one way and the corbita is too short the other way), and even then only the rowboat is small enough.  A bit of a shame, it would be good to have both a dinghy and a pinnace.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

I'll agree with anything to make any boat useful. Currently if you use anything other than a Knarr or a small sailing boat you're wrong and thats silly.

• Like 2

I do agree except knarr, knarrs are already so versatile that giving them another feature would toss out any other boats even more. Let only big, deep draft boats be able to tow and load other boats. 

• Like 4

See the source image

+1 again. Note the lifeboat onboard.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

+1 except knarrs

Fair enough.  Knerrir don't really need it, as they can go where the little boats go.  

Although, general "incidental" towing - like dragging but on water - should be possible from any boat with any other boat.  Speed penalties apply, and mooring should matter.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

+1 for load row boat on caravel, cog and corbida

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:03 AM, Katrat said:

See the source image

+1 again. Note the lifeboat onboard.

That's actually a Brig, not a Caravel.

Nevertheless I am heavily in favour of introducing new, bigger ships, which would go hand in hand with this option op loading and towing ships.

13 hours ago, Rishy said:

That's actually a Brig, not a Caravel.

Nevertheless I am heavily in favour of introducing new, bigger ships, which would go hand in hand with this option op loading and towing ships.

Granted but the point wasn't to distinguish between Caravel or Brig the point is the larger boat, which ever it is, is carrying a rowboat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katrat said:

Granted but the point wasn't to distinguish between Caravel or Brig the point is the larger boat, which ever it is, is carrying a rowboat.

Yep.  And Wurm's caravel depicted as carrying a rowboat!