Sign in to follow this  
Ngin

Why do you have to pay a mail cost if the other player did not accept it on time ?

Because otherwise people would just use mailboxes as free and secure storage without any penalty. Items in the mail do not take decay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Because otherwise people would just use mailboxes as free and secure storage without any penalty. Items in the mail do not take decay.

Can't they just basically do that with an alt already ?

8 minutes ago, Ngin said:

Can't they just basically do that with an alt already ?

I suppose its a matter of convenience. But even in an alt there are things that decay, such as food items. Mailboxes stops everything. I could mail you a hot lump and you can pick it up a week later and it will still be hot. You could mail yourself 5 meals and pull them out as needed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I suppose its a matter of convenience. But even in an alt there are things that decay, such as food items. Mailboxes stops everything. I could mail you a hot lump and you can pick it up a week later and it will still be hot. You could mail yourself 5 meals and pull them out as needed.

yeah, when I go exploring i usually send myself a couple slices of pizza, it's very convenient and at 1c each time, it's cheap

• Like 1

Because imps did their work and has to pay their bills too. And it works exactly the same IRL. 

• Like 4

It's the price you pay for not travelling to the buyer.

• Like 1

As long as the buyer did not return the product on purpose, if 14 days have passed and the mail has expired, you shouldn't pay the mail cost.

Here is your penalty for trying to exploit the mailbox as storage, you wont be able to retrieve the item without mail cost unless it expires.

9 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Actually, I had items stuck in mail from lazy merchants that refused to hold my goods longer than 6 months.  When they quit their job, they toss all your stuff in the mail, where there is some decay happening.  I had a bunch of moon metal lumps decay from it.  I filed a bug report, but I don't think they did anything to resolve.  I know I was never made whole on my decayed items.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:13 AM, Wurmhole said:

Actually, I had items stuck in mail from lazy merchants that refused to hold my goods longer than 6 months.  When they quit their job, they toss all your stuff in the mail, where there is some decay happening.  I had a bunch of moon metal lumps decay from it.  I filed a bug report, but I don't think they did anything to resolve.  I know I was never made whole on my decayed items.

That's odd, I usually keep my meals there when I don't have a magical chest and they never take decay.

The cost is so minimal now compared ot what it used to be that this should not be a hardship. 

2 hours ago, Chiqa said:

The cost is so minimal now compared ot what it used to be that this should not be a hardship. 

Yeah but not only that, the buyer also keep your items as hostage for 14days, imagine sending 100 items gotta setup their price manually 1by1 to be ended up paying 1 silver because the buyer did not pick up on time. So from now each time you are doing business with someone, you will always hesitate if you should sell bulk items COD or not.

8 hours ago, Ngin said:

So from now each time you are doing business with someone, you will always hesitate if you should sell bulk items COD or not.

Generally speaking most people don't send bulks via the mailbox because its cheaper and less faff to have them delivered, but for anything other than large items, when a number of items are CoDed to a single person, they are often loaded into a backpack for posting so there's only one item to set price on and post.

If we assume that your time is worth money, the cheapest is use a wagoner. If the recipient is on a different server you can cross with a wagoner container, find a waystone, plant it, set up a delivery and go back home.