Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Do the staff plans some event for Saint Nicholas Day (tomorrow)?

As the topic title says:

Do the staff plans some event for Saint Nicholas Day (tomorrow)? In some EU countries it is pretty important and nice day, we exchange little gifts and wish ourselves Merry Christmas!  🙂 

• Like 1

In wurm we got stuff for Christmas, while i would like to see stuff for Saint Nicholas day myself i do not think it would be a thing for wurm. We could however organise something as players.

Too bad, many of staff is from EU, I hoped they have some surprise for us. 

Maybe we can do a Google spreadsheet, enter our names, and then everyone would do /random and draw a person to get a gift for? 😉 

• Like 1

Majority of EU citizens doesn't celebrate this day, and most of those few that do consider it far more important than Christmas.

No thanks.

religious events shouldn't really be a thing planned by staff, as the game should appeal to as many people as possible.

Christmas  isn't really a Religious Holiday anymore ( imo ) but more a Secular holiday now due to the religious meaning of Christmas largely diminished by the commercialization of the holiday, so I understand why the staff do a little something to mark that day, and I would think no one would have any problems with that, but if we start to mark every Saints day, it could get messy fast, you would have to mark every saints day or risk upsetting someone.

( also Saint Nicholas day is Dec 5th ( eve ) in some places and Dec 6 in others, plus after a quick google "and on 19 December in Eastern Christian" )

Edited by Badvoc
google to check a fact.
  • Like 3

Just spawn some "Krampus" Npc on the Servers. Loot: Nikolaus Rod, Krampus Hat, Krampus Chain, Mandarins

As per the last 14 years, it's Christmas we have events on for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Platyna said:

Too bad, many of staff is from EU, I hoped they have some surprise for us. 

Maybe we can do a Google spreadsheet, enter our names, and then everyone would do /random and draw a person to get a gift for? 😉 

Ideea is great, and people were doing it for years, here and there; in some cases, it was a local alliance event, in some other cases it tried to be an event on a larger scale: people from one server were announced with at least one month in advance someone will host a Secret (random) Santa, everyone sent or brought a gift of their choice; gifts were numbered and on a designated day everyone who was in joined on host's deed, draw a number and received the corresponding gift. Of course, other activities could/were also organised.

This year seems a bit late to plan and start a Secret Santa on a larger scale, but perhaps someone has the will and energy to organise it somewhere, and a few fellow players will get to enjoy a more festive Winter Holidays time :)

4 hours ago, Platyna said:

As the topic title says:

Do the staff plans some event for Saint Nicholas Day (tomorrow)? In some EU countries it is pretty important and nice day, we exchange little gifts and wish ourselves Merry Christmas!  🙂 

I am in EU, I do NOT wish anybody mery xmas on 6th dec... plenty of time to xmas..

--edit

as for date/time etc.. wiki's your bud

Nicholas Day, also called the Feast of Saint Nicholas, is observed on 6 December or on the eve of 5 December in Western Christian countries...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas_Day

Edited by Finnn

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

@RetrogradeClean up the moss and make this year extraordinary...for a change in a good way...there was a suggestion to bring back gifts, I made a suggestion to make Christmas trees of variable size, maybe you could whisper a word or two to the right people? 

Let's face it - 2020 sucks AF, ANY reason to cheer and celebrate should be used. Many of us got directly or indirectly affected by that pesky disease that made our lives more or less miserable. From I talked with people on Freedom, many of us will be alone at Christmas due to this. 

@EveningIf you like the idea maybe you could help me to execute, a staff member supervising it would be good, so there will be no dramas. It would be cool if many people participated, we don't have to rush with these gifts, we can do the pairing by the end of tomorrow, and gifts can be given at Christmas Eve or Christmas morning (depends on which tradition is upheld in your culture). With a few global announcements (they are being done for community streams, so why not for this), we could nail it. It took me 20 minutes to organize dragon slaying, and I was a noob green as spring fresh leaves, so we can do it. :) 

And I really don't want to discuss if some celebration is religious or not, I don't care, if one will invite me to celebrate Chanukah with him (and I did it in my life), I am for it. We need to find reasons to unite and cheer in that sad, sad world. 

Edited by Platyna

Maybe instead we could give the devs/staff a gift and stop hassling them for five minutes in a row.

• Like 5

No one is hassling the staff, and they are more than welcome to participate, they are people too. If I drew @Retrogradethat would be an easy thing, I know what he wants. 😉 

Edited by Platyna

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Holy cr*p! Have we really been online for 14 years? How the time flies...

@Platyna

Thank you for your offer, but I'm afraid I have to decline it, as fun and nice as it sounds; I play mostly on the new cluster since the opening, and will keep doing so for some more time, because I was allynapped and I'm held hostage, they locked me in a mine, provided me with stale bread, water and stuff to do; on top of that, I have other things going on, both irl and in Wurm, where I have to hide from the said ally trying to drag me out of the mine now, on to the farms there and put a rake in each of my hands. At least if they were scissors ..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Skatyna said:

lol WTF even is St. Nicholas day? i bet i could think of anything to celebrate every day then lmao..

Some of ortodox Christians can also aks, lol why tf is Christmass on december 25th when it's actualy on January 7th. Most of the world outside of US could ask lol wtf is Halloween and why to we celebrate that comercial ###### in game played worldwide.

But still i'm against the idea. In my country St. Nicholas is patron saint as many others(we have for each family patron saint day we celebrate with our friends and family but nothing on global scale and nothing commercial) and its on 19th december, not releated to Christmass in anyway, dont really know what majority is celebrating it that way

• Like 3

I live in Flanders (belgium) and I never ever said happy christmas on december 6..
Sinterklaas is also there as a day for the children, not for grown ups. Or do you guys still get presents besides the chocolate or speculoos on your work? 😆

On 12/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, Neo_Vangallen said:

Just spawn some "Krampus" Npc on the Servers. Loot: Nikolaus Rod, Krampus Hat, Krampus Chain, Mandarins

Now that could be interesting, and bring some culture to the rest of the world!  It would be interesting to have different creatures to hunt for a short period, with some new items to collect...give a little history of the event...hmmm

And that could be for all cultures.  Now, I realize that would be WAYYYY too much to really add to the game, but in theory, that would add some uniqueness while educating about other countries and beliefs.

unleash suppressed version of valrei event mobs.. to freedom.. (oh buoy.. imagine the few bugs..) and pop some candy in the drop loot-table..

add possibility for these mobs to corrupt normal mobs near them.. slam some color and modifier to the normal - now corrupted creature.. scam us with some jackal/whatever lore around it.... people will be happy to slap a new mob.. and possibly get a new item.. 

do it on a loop every season.. expand with crafting recipe drop on kill or auto learn on kill.. or mix of the 2.. so everyone gets a reason to go and hunt.. some will lack the ability to utilize is - that's ok, other wont, some will be selling/gifting the written recipe drop.. other will learn it.. the usual..

more stuff to slap and create.. in a sandbox.. #content #crave #2020 #2021 #givegiveGIFFF

On 12/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, Minnie said:

Maybe instead we could give the devs/staff a gift and stop hassling them for five minutes in a row.

damn they have break since august

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, Badvoc said:

religious events shouldn't really be a thing planned by staff, as the game should appeal to as many people as possible.

Christmas  isn't really a Religious Holiday anymore ( imo ) but more a Secular holiday now due to the religious meaning of Christmas largely diminished by the commercialization of the holiday, so I understand why the staff do a little something to mark that day, and I would think no one would have any problems with that, but if we start to mark every Saints day, it could get messy fast, you would have to mark every saints day or risk upsetting someone.

( also Saint Nicholas day is Dec 5th ( eve ) in some places and Dec 6 in others, plus after a quick google "and on 19 December in Eastern Christian" )

For what it's worth... it might be a good time for official Wurm stuff to lean in on the secular aspects available, if only as a way to add to Wurm's forward progression as a game (and hopefully, eventually, a game with a wide market and large popularity). 

Personally I give a big ol' shrug of easygoing when things like this pop up in various games - but I also know that not everyone out there has a positive experience due to religion-centered strife for one reason or another. So while I have the freedom to be casual and cool about whatever... not everyone is as lucky. In light of that fact.... here are a couple points of suggestion, written here simply for possible future consideration. 

- the current item of decor is called "Christmas tree" ... it could just as easily be named with adjectives instead of a proper noun - such as "festive tree" or "decorated tree." As the item has a gift-giving function, it remains pretty obviously a Christmas tree for those who celebrate Christmas - but no longer specifically excludes the possibility of it being something else in the mind of someone else. 

- incorporate future objects and/or creatures that lean into folk lore and legends enjoyed by many people world-wide "just for fun" instead of as a component of religious celebration... for example, a unique enemy Krampus that spawns and runs around during the IRL winter season. There is room for a Santa type that plays into either myth & lore (A Holly King or Lord of Misrule or Winter Lord would do) - or secular commercialization (the Coca-Cola version of Santa, instead of the St Nick / religious version found in many Christian European nations). Secular decorations available only for the winter holiday season can include evergreen garlands, a mistletoe item that causes players on the same tile to perform the "kiss" emote, festive decor that incorporates or includes blue & silver color options alongside the red & green & gold options. Anything having to do with reindeer, especially the red-nosed variety. 

- Nearly everyone on earth celebrates something during the winter time that has to do with lights - fairy lights, candle light, bonfires, etc. A craftable / burnable Yule Log would be in keeping with this; along with anything else we can dream up that can be burned for fun and giggles.  

- there is a real astronomical occurrence during the holiday season that plays into themes of light coming to the world / banishing darkness, etc - and although some communities ascribe religious significance to the event, in truth, it occurs every year whether people believe in it or not... that is, the Winter Solstice. Anything - anything at all - having to do with the solstice has the bonus of being both factually secular and completely in keeping with the ideological themes of many of the otherwise specifically religious celebrations of this season. 

TLDR: there is infinite space in the universe - allowing space for others does not actually take away from the space you already have for yourself. Highlight the things that are held in common and/or secular in future iterations & share the space with all Wurmians alike 💜✌🏼️🌱

• Like 1