Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Scale height of Christmas trees to Misc items skill level.

3 minutes ago, Spolmit said:

It is you who have changed the reasoning for your argument.

Nope.  I started with 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:40 AM, TheTrickster said:

I used the biggest felled tree I could hold and put the result in my yard.  It is wee, and looks pitiful.  There should be something that gives big trees, for courtyards and such, while the little trees are better indoors.

and later said

28 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

An indoor tree is fine small, but what about a tree on the village green or in the middle of the market square? 

and

29 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

it is about appropriate degrees of scale and grandeur for the setting

My reasoning has not changed at all.  Platyna suggested scalability based on skill; while I agreed that scalability based on something would be good.

Your opinion is that if the gifts are the same then the trees would be the same.  My opinion is that the one has nothing to do with the other.  

Hey, good idea.  I would like to be able to create a big christmas tree. 

Where I live in real life lol  there is a big christmas tree in the town square or near the shops, that goes up every year.

Would be really nice to be able to create something like that on wurm.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Finnn said:

THAT's a GREAT IDEA.... 

xmas tree with a glowrune!

you totally misunderstood that.. it was a tip to reduce the weight of it.. not the size, and it's already a working mechanic for years to lower weight that way, just not obvious to all, maybe.. just pointing it out if it's of use to anyone..

one way to solve this is to not use skill but carrying weight so it's all based on how much you can carry.. which makes relatively anyone able to cut a ~300kg tree(43body strength) and pop a giant tree

but no.. didn't mean or suggest that above in previous post.

You know, I did activate my steel & flint and try to light the tree, just in case  🙂.  I would have been cool to have a lit tree.  I would have lined the street with them (and maybe got told off by a neighbour for littering).

I did misunderstand the heaver<>bigger issue.  I also thought you were suggesting that the issue with heavy little tree was specifically the heavy part (when for me it is the little part).  If the tree is always going to be a particular size it does make sense to reduce the felled tree (even if just to get the most out of it) before making a Christmas tree. 

What about Christmas tree gets a revamp, because is small, ugly, old and petty, and there's no difference if you have it in a house, in the middle of the deed, in the open or in a starting town?

The Christmas tree should be a joy not only to have, but to look at it, not only a mean to get your Christmas present and spare a trip to a starting town for it, but a nice, sparkling, colourful and magnificent symbol of - perhaps - the most loved celebration in the world!

And while we're at it, could we please please PLEASE have the gift wrappings back?

Years ago they were removed because people were "abusing" them, and wrapped a pelt or a rare log (game breaking, I know!!); nowadays, people give away free 100 ql, enchanted pelts, and we still didn't get them back? Why? Why this stuborness? Every single year since they were removed they were asked back, and every single year (or almost) we have been told (IF we got an answer) No! and that was it, no context, no explanation, just "no".

Suggestion: redesign the Christmas tree and make it nice; more than that, make it sizeable with the tree age - use a mature pine for a smaller one, am older, very old or overaged for bigger and bigger versions, so it can fit and match any place, from a humble hut to a castle, or a deed center.

Bring the gift wrappings back. Prevent abuse by making them disappear the day Winter Holidays symbols (Santa, starting town Christmas trees, julbords, light beams) are removed.

Both are easy and simple solution, not making anyone happier than other, not turning Christmas into a business; Christmas shouldn't be a show off of skills and wealth, but a warm, friendly celebration, when we remember we're all humans, we're all the same, we came from the same place and will go to the same place after some time spent here.

Happy Winter Holidays!

• Like 5

Perhaps instead of making it skill based, making it based on which type of wood you are using to make the Christmas tree. There is currently 6 Lumber Trees in the game (Birch, Cedar, Maple, Willow, Fir and Linden) as well as 4 nut trees (Oak, Pine, Walnut, Chestnut). If each one creates a different sized Christmas tree then everyone can have a Christmas tree for any sized room. Maybe the big Oak tree will give you a Rockefeller Center sized tree (Hopefully it looks better then the Rockefeller Center tree), while the birch tree would give you your average small tree. So from me a Big +1 for bigger Christmas trees but a Huge -1 to making it skill based. 

Edited by brattygirl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brattygirl said:

Perhaps instead of making it skill based, making it based on which type of wood you are using to make the Christmas tree. There is currently 6 Lumber Trees in the game (Birch, Cedar, Maple, Willow, Fir and Linden) as well as 4 nut trees (Oak, Pine, Walnut, Chestnut). If each one creates a different sized Christmas tree then everyone can have a Christmas tree for any sized room. Maybe the big Oak tree will give you a Rockefeller Center sized tree (Hopefully it looks better then the Rockefeller Center tree), while the birch tree would give you your average small tree. So from me a Big +1 for bigger Christmas trees but a Huge -1 to making it skill based. 

Much much much better idea than the op, maybe keep the felled pine but the wood scrap type decides the height?   ( some trees are rarer than others and would hate for a lack of tree blocking people getting the size they want )

Or just a simple felled pine + scrap and you get the option to choose small / medium / large 

xmas tree is one item that shouldn't be locked behind a skill level for any reason, why shouldn't a newbie player not be able to craft a large tree for there deed, your idea means everyone can choose the size of tree they want without locking it behind skill. 

• Like 1

Nah, a Christmas tree needs to be a conifer, so pine or fir.  The type of scrap deciding the size of the tree has no sensible reasoning; it would seem entirely arbitrary.  The OP says skill, which makes some sense but doesn't allow for user choice.

There is already a dynamic that uses the weight of the felled tree to determine the weight of the Christmas tree, so it would make sense to extend that just a little and have the weight determine the scale.

• Like 1

In Poland, we use fir, and I was very surprised it doesn't work in Wurm. @Eveningcare to elaborate? I am a new player and I have no idea what abuse are you talking about, but generally I like your insight. 

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

Nah, a Christmas tree needs to be a conifer, so pine or fir.  The type of scrap deciding the size of the tree has no sensible reasoning; it would seem entirely arbitrary.  The OP says skill, which makes some sense but doesn't allow for user choice.

There is already a dynamic that uses the weight of the felled tree to determine the weight of the Christmas tree, so it would make sense to extend that just a little and have the weight determine the scale.

We have magic and many items that doesn't make sense in real life, the scrap was the easiest way I thought of  to define height in the crafting process while keeping it super easy, I mean using you thought process why use a scrap in the first place when crafting it?  but thinking on it your right for the reason of what if a player cant find the right scrap and I feel why lock it behind anything at all ( weight would lock it behind str. )

Just give us an option when crafting the xmas tree to choose, small / med / large  using the current crafting process job done.  then you can have the tree to fit your needs and everyone gets to do it regardless of skills.

1 hour ago, Badvoc said:

We have magic and many items that doesn't make sense in real life, the scrap was the easiest way I thought of  to define height in the crafting process while keeping it super easy, I mean using you thought process why use a scrap in the first place when crafting it?  but thinking on it your right for the reason of what if a player cant find the right scrap and I feel why lock it behind anything at all ( weight would lock it behind str. )

Just give us an option when crafting the xmas tree to choose, small / med / large  using the current crafting process job done.  then you can have the tree to fit your needs and everyone gets to do it regardless of skills.

I kind of understand the scrap, being for the base.    I think even at starting strength the weight would be sufficient for a large tree, so really everyone should be able to craft a good range of sizes.  I think everyone should have the choice of small/medium/large but my own personal preference would be to avoid being just a choice from a menu (but this Wurm, so why start that now?  🤪)

5 hours ago, Platyna said:

In Poland, we use fir, and I was very surprised it doesn't work in Wurm. @Eveningcare to elaborate? I am a new player and I have no idea what abuse are you talking about, but generally I like your insight. 

I think a lot of places use fir.  Where I am it is either pine or plastic.  We don't have fir trees, and gum trees don't make for a typical Christmas tree look.

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I kind of understand the scrap, being for the base.    I think even at starting strength the weight would be sufficient for a large tree, so really everyone should be able to craft a good range of sizes.  I think everyone should have the choice of small/medium/large but my own personal preference would be to avoid being just a choice from a menu (but this Wurm, so why start that now?  🤪)

I agree would be better as not a menu choice,

Maybe something super simple as

Scrap + tree  = small

Branch + tree = medium

log plus tree = large

or maybe a new item tree base ( think clay planters for flowers but wooden tub planters for trees and then we could have potted trees of all types ), making small , medium and large bases. 

so you have current xmas tree pine + scrap

New model tree" small "       xmas tree + small base

New model tree "medium"   xmas tree + medium base

New model tree "large"         xmas tree + Large base

then felled tree + base = potted tree as a new item ( like how we have flower pots atm ) these would be skill based like normal wurm items, but the xmas trees wouldn't.

quick and dirty idea.

+1 I really would love to have a larger tree at the front of the deed! And Yes to glow runes on them too. :)

Im new and didnt even know we could build xmas trees. But I really like the idea of different sizes for them! I can just imagine seeing a massive one in town or on a big deed and a line of small cute ones on a road or something. I like variation.

• Like 1