Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Scale height of Christmas trees to Misc items skill level.

My suggestion is simple and I hope easy to implement - let people with higher Misc items skill level to create bigger Christmas trees, like each level gives you an extra centimetre or two added to be base height. 🙂 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Platyna said:

My suggestion is simple and I hope easy to implement - let people with higher Misc items skill level to create bigger Christmas trees, like each level gives you an extra centimetre or two added to be base height. 🙂 

No, dont lock an holiday item behind a skill, keep it the same for people at skill 1 to skill 100

• Like 3

Lock behind skill? What? You still would be able to create a basic Christmas tree at any skill, you would just be able to make bigger versions at higher skill. 

I agree with Badvoc.

The Christmas gift is the same for every premium player irrespective of their skill and I feel that in the sprit of Christmas cheer the tree should be the same for everyone as well- and I speak as someone who would be able to construct a large tree if the request was implemented.

Edited by Spolmit
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Spolmit said:

I agree with Badvoc.

The Christmas gift is the same for every premium player irrespective of their skill and I feel that in the sprit of Christmas cheer the tree should be the same for everyone as well- and I speak as someone who would be able to construct a large tree if the request was implemented.

We are not talking here about Christmas gifts, just the size of the tree model. IRL we have all sizes of Christmas trees we want and it doesn't ruin the Christmas cheer. 

Edited by Platyna

Since this is just visual i do agree this should be locked behind skills as everything els in wurm.

When that is said i also do wish for more craftable christmas decoration.

• Like 2

I am not talking about Christmas gifts as such, simply to make the point that the Christmas tree ought to be the same for everyone.

Share and share alike comes to mind over Christmas does it not? It is surely not the time for 'I want my tree to be bigger than yours'?

• Like 2

Ok, do it.. let anyone be able to craft the standard model.. also let the skilled players have a perk for the spent time and efforts

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Ok, do it.. let anyone be able to craft the standard model.. also let the skilled players have a perk for the spent time and efforts

Finn speaks sense for a change.

I love this idea. It's dopey but oh my god I love it. Shame it'll never happen.

1 hour ago, Spolmit said:

I am not talking about Christmas gifts as such, simply to make the point that the Christmas tree ought to be the same for everyone.

Share and share alike comes to mind over Christmas does it not? It is surely not the time for 'I want my tree to be bigger than yours'?

Because? Seriously, someone has a modest wooden house - like I do, they will probably prefer a smaller tree, and someone has a big castle - they would prefer a big tree, which they can make or buy from someone. This is not matter of equal division of means of production, it is about aesthetics and more customization options, as I assume that Wurm support scaling the models which is shown e.g. on champion animals. 

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Exactly this is what I suggest, as I wrote above, skill would add a few centimetres to the base model that is craftable by everyone. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

The wiki told me the Christmas tree would be bigger with a bigger felled tree (or words to that effect) so I used the biggest felled tree I could hold and put the result in my yard.  It is wee, and looks pitiful.  There should be something that gives big trees, for courtyards and such, while the little trees are better indoors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Platyna said:

Yes, I used 186 kg felled tree and got a very little tree. 

you can trim a felled tree(cutting logs from it, etc) to be just over 24kg felled tree and THAN craft the xmas tree,

easy 'hack' to manage the weight of used felled tree

13 hours ago, Madnath said:

Finn speaks sense for a change.

I love this idea. It's dopey but oh my god I love it. Shame it'll never happen.

I always(MOSTLY) make sense, it's just the people that I disagree with, who say the opposite #rebels..

yea.. we need dev(s) approach who come up with fun new content and re-wreaking old content to make this game great again

#sadly-most-of-the-content-is-old-as..

@Finnn

12 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

The wiki told me the Christmas tree would be bigger with a bigger felled tree (or words to that effect) so I used the biggest felled tree I could hold and put the result in my yard.  It is wee, and looks pitiful.  There should be something that gives big trees, for courtyards and such, while the little trees are better indoors.

Edited by Platyna

12 hours ago, Finnn said:

you can trim a felled tree(cutting logs from it, etc) to be just over 24kg felled tree and THAN craft the xmas tree,

easy 'hack' to manage the weight of used felled tree

I didn't want a lightweight tree.  I read the weight scaling to mean size (true it is not the same thing, but I didn't imagine it would mean zero change to visible size).

I wanted a tree to plonk outside, and for that it needs to be big or it just looks silly.  I have left it in place, even though it does look silly.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, Spolmit said:

what if what your sharing is a big huge tree to someone you know cant make one that big yet? it adds to the variety of gifts being given. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:40 PM, Spolmit said:

Don't measure other people with your own measure. I never had a problem finding a high level player to do something for me that I am too noob to do, and now, as I have decent skills I also continue this noble tradition, I think most of my neighbours know that if they bring me materials ready to assemble I will make things for them, usually that are large crates but also other things. 

The simple fact is: a small tree fits nicely to 1 tile high cozy room, but it doesn't fit too much in 3 tile high castle atrium. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 8:40 AM, Spolmit said:

It is surely not the time for 'I want my tree to be bigger than yours'?

I think you miss the point entirely.  An indoor tree is fine small, but what about a tree on the village green or in the middle of the market square?  It is not about competition, it is about appropriate degrees of scale and grandeur for the setting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Platyna said:

The simple fact is: a small tree fits nicely to 1 tile high cozy room, but it doesn't fit too much in 3 tile high castle atrium. 

11 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I think you miss the point entirel

I do not miss the point. It is you who have changed the reasoning for your argument.

Platyna made a straight-forward suggestion in their first comment:

On 12/4/2020 at 5:51 PM, Platyna said:

let people with higher Misc items skill level to create bigger Christmas trees, like each level gives you an extra centimetre or two added to be base height

The suggestion received some positive comments and some against- both sets with reasons for their stance which is exactly what a forum is for.

My argument against remains the same: The Christmas tree is a part of Wurm that is intrinsically linked to the giving of gifts. The gifts are the same for all irrespective of whether the recipient is the longest-serving player or the most recent. It is for this reason that I state again that the tree ought to be the same size for all. I accept that this is purely my opinion and may not be equally shared, but again, this is what a forum is for.

If you would like to make a tree for a castle enormous compared to a shed then that is NOT what this thread proposed.

It is very easy to bring in new 'variables' into an argument to suit the stance that you prefer. I much prefer to argue for or against the original proposal.

I shall not pass further comment in this thread as I much prefer playing Wurm.

Good luck with your proposal if that is what you are so desperate for.

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I didn't want a lightweight tree.  I read the weight scaling to mean size (true it is not the same thing, but I didn't imagine it would mean zero change to visible size).

I wanted a tree to plonk outside, and for that it needs to be big or it just looks silly.  I have left it in place, even though it does look silly.

THAT's a GREAT IDEA.... 

xmas tree with a glowrune!

you totally misunderstood that.. it was a tip to reduce the weight of it.. not the size, and it's already a working mechanic for years to lower weight that way, just not obvious to all, maybe.. just pointing it out if it's of use to anyone..

one way to solve this is to not use skill but carrying weight so it's all based on how much you can carry.. which makes relatively anyone able to cut a ~300kg tree(43body strength) and pop a giant tree

but no.. didn't mean or suggest that above in previous post.

• Like 3

@SpolmitSeriously, you are against additional customization options for no reason at all. Big tree would give the same gifts, you would be still able to craft the "normal" version at low Misc items skill. I fail to see what the heck is your problem. And I know what I proposed, I wrote it above and repeated. I never proposed any extra perks to the tree except the extra size - this is the original proposal - there is NOTHING ELSE THERE. 

I am asking again what is your problem here? 

Edited by Platyna