Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

Fast return to wild nature of abandoned deeds

Hi!

One of the main issues in Wurm is the fact that new players complain they cannot find a virgin spot because there are ruins everywhere so this is how i think it could be handled.

Like i said abandoned deeds are ruins and what do ruins get?... that's right ghosts! they dont even have to be ghosts of the traditional variety they could be the ghost of a shovel a priest shattered on that deed ages ago or the ghost of a lemon tree that someone cut, the ghost of a sheep that lived on the deed etc.

And the ideea is to have the "energy" or "juju" of the ghosts auras "consume" or "corrode" the ruins in the area of the fallen deed at a much faster pace.

Now the problem is with the archeologists that farm fallen deeds right? They won't like that.

But the solution is simple: the ghosts would spawn only if an irl week has passed since any player walked in the area of the fallen deed and their presence will start chewing the ruins at a fast pace.

Now if a player shows up during that time he/she or they can fight the ghosts and if they kill them they could get some item drops from them and stop the fast decay of the ruins, so people that archeology farm some fallen deeds wont lose the oportunity to keep doing so.

But if nobody shows up to kill the ghosts they keep draining the ruins and once all of them and the items litter are removed the ghosts would be brimming with energy and just explode and the effects of the explosion will be random modifications to the slope of the surface tiles and their type (so if you had a flat former deed area now you would get an uneven slope area with grass trees or sand or tundra).

Now ofcourse these explosions would not impact highway tiles or reinforced mine tiles but they would remove non reinforced ones and non highway paved tiles turning the entire area into wild nature that looks untouched.

They could decide if the ghosts explosion would remove the deed history of the area too so it wont be able to be investigated for archeology anymore or they could decide to keep it.

And the way to implement it would be: 

You take the bridges code that triggers decay if noone walked on them for a week to trigger the ghost spawn.

Then use the vesseling code to determine the damage done to the ruins and items where the ammount of favor drawn is replaced by the power of the ghosts auras.

Then use the info about the previous deed (if there are multiple deeds in the area just randomly choose on of them or choose the biggest area one) so then you set the starting tile on the tile of that former deed token then use the making a new deed survey code to tell the game to scan the tiles in the area of that chosen former deed then use the rift code that makes it so the rift resources spawn and the tiles turn a different type when the rift becomes active to just replace those former deed tiles with random slope random type "wild" tiles.

And the way you make the ghosts fight is by using the rift warmaster turrets code so a ghost plant (tree bush etc) would be the healer of the bunch, a tool ghost would do frost damage and a creature ghost would do fire damage.

And can use their ingame models and make it bigger and apply a hue to it similar to how shadow priests looked in wow and theres your ghost model.

And because they use the turret code they will be mostly static so a newbie stumbling upon them will not get chased and killed by them they would just have to run away and be safe.

And could also use the bee hive message across the screen code to give a warning that says: You are nearing a haunted ruin please beware!

Im gonna have to say no. A lot of us do infact love the ruins and such.

• Like 4

I like the concept. Ruins were definitely a huge deterrent for us when we were looking for a place to settle. They make it hard to tell which land is actually available and while there are can be some benefits to starting on used land, overall it's more fun to have a fresh start without having to clean up someone else's garbage and deal with weird terraforming before you can start on your own ideas. Ruins are also a reminder that people have stopped playing, which can be sad, especially old marketplaces and things like that. It makes you wonder where everyone went.

• Like 1

The entire idea of this game is to make something you like. Some ruins can be a boon with supplies, equipment or shelter or a pain in the ass if it is something you cannot move or get rid off. 

Regardless if someone is complaining about ruins they probably have not bothered with a decent sized deed.

When it comes to your suggestion. We want this game to be new player friendly which is hard enough with the steep learning curve. Actually making ruins hostile or dangerous will just cause frustration for new players.

To that end i do not like this idea.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PotatoOnStick said:

Actually making ruins hostile or dangerous will just cause frustration for new players.

I don't see anything in the post about the ruins being hostile or dangerous. As it is, they already are hostile and dangerous since mobs tend to build up in places that people don't often visit.

3 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

But the solution is simple: the ghosts would spawn only if an irl week has passed since any player walked in the area of the fallen deed and their presence will start chewing the ruins at a fast pace.

Now if a player shows up during that time he/she or they can fight the ghosts and if they kill them they could get some item drops from them and stop the fast decay of the ruins, so people that archeology farm some fallen deeds wont lose the oportunity to keep doing so.

But if nobody shows up to kill the ghosts they keep draining the ruins and once all of them and the items litter are removed the ghosts would be brimming with energy and just explode and the effects of the explosion will be random modifications to the slope of the surface tiles and their type (so if you had a flat former deed area now you would get an uneven slope area with grass trees or sand or tundra).

To shorten this it says that if no one in the area deals with the ghosts the area goes back to its original form. Thus forcing people to either deal with the ghosts or risk losing the stuff around the decayed deed. Plus the last bit with the explosion trying to 'restore nature' is going to be disruptive regardless. It would need an entire new system that is not worth the time and money.

2 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

And the way you make the ghosts fight is by using the rift warmaster turrets code so a ghost plant (tree bush etc) would be the healer of the bunch, a tool ghost would do frost damage and a creature ghost would do fire damage.

Rift turrets work because you got multiple people there, everyone scrambling for them as a means of getting the chance to kill them. Alone at a decayed deed? I wonder if it would honestly be worth the effort at that point...

42 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

I don't see anything in the post about the ruins being hostile or dangerous. As it is, they already are hostile and dangerous since mobs tend to build up in places that people don't often visit.

Hostile mobs are manageable even for new players as they are predictable they may not be able to beat them but at least you know what you are looking at strength wise. A new player will not wonder to a troll or lion because they can see it is a hostile monster. Ghosts make no sense and would be confusing. It is similar to the boar back in the day where new players would attack a boar thinking it was an easy fight.

I don't personally lean towards this suggestion, but I appreciate that players are still keen to resolve the issue of abandons.

For me - abandoned buildings and structures off deed are a joy.  It is the abandoned vehicles and storage containers that I don't like.  But then, that's only me.

• Like 1

This is ment to resolve the new players not being able to find wild looking land on old servers so then Wurm loses them or has to add new servers and then you complain about the devs spreading the player base too thin.

Every single one of your replies is made from your personal perspective not one of you considered what it would be better for the game: implement systems that will allow old servers to regenerate their wilderness and thus be able to offer new players the same experience you had when you started or reject it because you are not a newbie anymore so what do you care.

I am disapointed in all of you.

Not to mention none  of you can actually read because i clearly state that the ghosts and the enhanced decay rate would start only if a week has passed since a player has been thru the area (just like bridges work).

So you can keep your preciouss ruins just fine all you have to do is go there once a week on an alt.

Also your arguments against it are laughable, for instance some guy argued that alot of great deeds have been built on the ruins of old ones, which is a fair statement but then again how many great deeds and players have been lost because they checked the game out could not find a wild spot to make home and left?

How many of those great deeds built on the ruins of the old deeds would have been a great deed anyway but built on wild land on that same location by a player that would have not quit the game.

I am disapointed in all of you.

I'll cope.

For some of your other comments, though, try to remain civil.  For example, we read just fine.

The fact is, not every new player wants to go off into the wilderness and start a settlement from scratch.  Sure, plenty do, but many also don't.  I do like that you are trying for a different approach, in that this is not simply the building player being absent for x amount of time but also based on no visitors or passers-by.  However, I really don't think that this is much of a problem at all on the old servers.  I explore a lot - by which I mean a lot - and I see plenty of undeeds with not even ruins.  A week before rot sets in, by whatever means, is simply too short a timeframe in Wurm.

You say;

19 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

One of the main issues in Wurm is the fact that new players complain they cannot find a virgin spot because there are ruins everywhere

but is that really true?  What are the demonstrable facts?  

how many great deeds and players have been lost because they checked the game out could not find a wild spot to make home and left?

I don't know.  I would guess not a huge number, but would be a guess.  Do you have a number, or would it be a guess?

• Like 1

Based on how many new servers the devs have deployed on the new cluster i would say quite alot of the new players wanted a virgin plot of land to settle on.

Based on the fact that the last server they deployed  is literally a coastal pangeea, a clear indicator that the vast majority of players that quit were looking for a virgin land on the seaside as their ideal spot.

I keep getting replies from people with statements containing: "I don't mind..." "I like ruins.." etc. is all about your personal point of view when my proposal is ment to retain players that have not stuck with the game because even tho they liked it they did not find a place they could settle on.

People that play the game already, like me, you and the rest of the people that replied here,  are obviously not the main intended beneficiary of this change.

If Wurm does not find a way to recycle it's own servers in order to provide virgin land on them constantly, they wont appeal to the people that log in for the first time and dev team will be locked into a constant server inflation where they would have to add new servers with virgin land to retain as many new people as they can while being called idiots on the forums for adding new servers and spliting the player base when there is plenty of room on the old servers.

Well the new players, the majority, are not scavangers like you or me or any of the current players, they have not played Wurm at all in order to learn to apreciate a good haul from a fallen deed, they want to log in and find a piece of pristine wild land they can build their own shack, preferably said pristine virgin wild land should be situated 5 minutes walk from a strip club.

But instead they log in and see the entire coastline a never ending terraformed ruin so they are Noppers out of the game then type in the feedback: "I was promised a wild untamed world that i could shape with alot of hard work to my own liking but all i found was other player's crap".

So the devs will read this and add more new servers and be called idiots again by the rest of the players for spliting the population but the same players do not want to accept any kind of change that would guarantee pristine wild looking land on their home server that would appeal to the newcomers and completely remove the need for server inflation to keep the population from dying off.

Because we as humans tend to like new untouched stuff. How good does it feel wearing fresh new clothes? Or sleeping in a set of new sheets?

Many people dont sense their own smell or just smile at their own farts but none of us can take someone else's smell or farts.

Is the same principle applying here: "Come explore build and survive!" is the call from the promotional video and the marketing slogan of Wurm right? So ppl download the client make a toon and instead of finding fresh wild land they can explore and survive they are thrown head first into other people's abandoned crap, and since they literally just logged into the game they have no ideea the ruins, the litter they are looking at, has actual value and instead they just close the client and start looking at other offers on Steam.

Again, after reading this, if you are tempted to reply: "but i like ruins, does not bother me", please, for the last time, you are not the target audience for this change, is the people, the majority that check the game, that are bothered by ruins in the sense that they see their presence as a sign the plot is already taken so they get frustrated by not being able to find that special plot of land they would like to turn into their home so they close the game and never play it again.

And is not like it would remove the ruins that are used in any shape or form is like i said 1 irl week would have to pass just for the decay process to start (like it is with bridges) then even if the ghosts have spawned then players can go in and kill the ghosts and stop the decay process while getting some loot too, it would literally have to take 1 full irl week of noone passing by for the ghosts to spawn then probably 3-4 days for the ghosts to drain the complete ruins without being killed by any players for the plot to become wild nature again.

So this change would remove litter, provide virgin new lands for new players on existing servers drastically reducing the need to launch new servers, would provide combat encounters for people that like to explore, will provide choice for the player to have a ruin disappear or be kept on for longer by deciding to walk by once a week or kill the ghosts that spawned or not and the best reply against it is from veteran players saying: no, i like ruins.

Or they claim they like ruins but in fact they like the fact that they can build 1x1 shacks all over the place and thus prevent anybody else from deeding that area so they lock alot of land around them with this method but are too lazy to have an alt run around from shack to shack once / week to keep them from spawning ghosts so they type nopeers.

And then to read the forums and see the same veteran players calling the dev team idiots for launching new servers and splitting the player population even more is probably such an underrated great joke, but i definatelly learned to enjoy it  more after posting this suggestion.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

7 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

This is ment to resolve the new players not being able to find wild looking land on old servers so then Wurm loses them or has to add new servers and then you complain about the devs spreading the player base too thin.

I can say from personal experience that there is wild land on Indy, and there is even more places where there once once a deed but now is only terraforming (no roads, walls, etc). I have heard this is even more prevalent on Xan. Heck, a short 5 minute walk east of Havens Landing and it's mostly wild. I suspect that maybe you are trying to settle next to spawn or in other busy areas?

• Like 3

On 12/3/2020 at 4:56 PM, Gawain said:

Im gonna have to say no. A lot of us do infact love the ruins and such.

Exactly, scavenging the ruins is fun and profitable. OP basically requests to remove one of most original and fun aspects of the game. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:
Spoiler

Based on how many new servers the devs have deployed on the new cluster i would say quite alot of the new players wanted a virgin plot of land to settle on.

Based on the fact that the last server they deployed  is literally a coastal pangeea, a clear indicator that the vast majority of players that quit were looking for a virgin land on the seaside as their ideal spot.

I keep getting replies from people with statements containing: "I don't mind..." "I like ruins.." etc. is all about your personal point of view when my proposal is ment to retain players that have not stuck with the game because even tho they liked it they did not find a place they could settle on.

People that play the game already, like me, you and the rest of the people that replied here,  are obviously not the main intended beneficiary of this change.

If Wurm does not find a way to recycle it's own servers in order to provide virgin land on them constantly, they wont appeal to the people that log in for the first time and dev team will be locked into a constant server inflation where they would have to add new servers with virgin land to retain as many new people as they can while being called idiots on the forums for adding new servers and spliting the player base when there is plenty of room on the old servers.

Well the new players, the majority, are not scavangers like you or me or any of the current players, they have not played Wurm at all in order to learn to apreciate a good haul from a fallen deed, they want to log in and find a piece of pristine wild land they can build their own shack, preferably said pristine virgin wild land should be situated 5 minutes walk from a strip club.

But instead they log in and see the entire coastline a never ending terraformed ruin so they are Noppers out of the game then type in the feedback: "I was promised a wild untamed world that i could shape with alot of hard work to my own liking but all i found was other player's crap".

So the devs will read this and add more new servers and be called idiots again by the rest of the players for spliting the population but the same players do not want to accept any kind of change that would guarantee pristine wild looking land on their home server that would appeal to the newcomers and completely remove the need for server inflation to keep the population from dying off.

Because we as humans tend to like new untouched stuff. How good does it feel wearing fresh new clothes? Or sleeping in a set of new sheets?

Many people dont sense their own smell or just smile at their own farts but none of us can take someone else's smell or farts.

Is the same principle applying here: "Come explore build and survive!" is the call from the promotional video and the marketing slogan of Wurm right? So ppl download the client make a toon and instead of finding fresh wild land they can explore and survive they are thrown head first into other people's abandoned crap, and since they literally just logged into the game they have no ideea the ruins, the litter they are looking at, has actual value and instead they just close the client and start looking at other offers on Steam.

Again, after reading this, if you are tempted to reply: "but i like ruins, does not bother me", please, for the last time, you are not the target audience for this change, is the people, the majority that check the game, that are bothered by ruins in the sense that they see their presence as a sign the plot is already taken so they get frustrated by not being able to find that special plot of land they would like to turn into their home so they close the game and never play it again.

And is not like it would remove the ruins that are used in any shape or form is like i said 1 irl week would have to pass just for the decay process to start (like it is with bridges) then even if the ghosts have spawned then players can go in and kill the ghosts and stop the decay process while getting some loot too, it would literally have to take 1 full irl week of noone passing by for the ghosts to spawn then probably 3-4 days for the ghosts to drain the complete ruins without being killed by any players for the plot to become wild nature again.

So this change would remove litter, provide virgin new lands for new players on existing servers drastically reducing the need to launch new servers, would provide combat encounters for people that like to explore, will provide choice for the player to have a ruin disappear or be kept on for longer by deciding to walk by once a week or kill the ghosts that spawned or not and the best reply against it is from veteran players saying: no, i like ruins.

Or they claim they like ruins but in fact they like the fact that they can build 1x1 shacks all over the place and thus prevent anybody else from deeding that area so they lock alot of land around them with this method but are too lazy to have an alt run around from shack to shack once / week to keep them from spawning ghosts so they type nopeers.

And then to read the forums and see the same veteran players calling the dev team idiots for launching new servers and splitting the player population even more is probably such an underrated great joke, but i definatelly learned to enjoy it  more after posting this suggestion.

This is very long and  all, but doesn't answer any of the 3 questions I asked, or address my main point that that I don't think this actually an issue for new players.

Slow, limited reversion of terraforming is something I would advocate, and indeed have done

Edited by TheTrickster

If one wants reversion of terraforming, just take a shovel. Admittedly, reversion of damage done to rocks on surface is not equally easy if possible at all. I would all be for some "level border" option for mining and surface mining able to circumvent the 40 slope problem (but that is a preliminary idea). But normal terraforming complaints are almost always about dirt/sand layer terraforming (less about tundra where I clearly get the point, but only to the extent that tundra creation is possibly too hard). So, as said, don't be lazy, create your own "virgin ground" with a shovel. 

And please, please, stop with all that hypocritic babble about the new players you pretend to support. There is no evidence that all new players prefer virgin ground. Many of the players on NFI went there

• because of "Steam Server" misunderstanding
  • because their steam friends went or already are there
  • because there were large settlements to build and to join

As to deeding, I read about and even spoke about with NFI players. No one claimed to want only to settle on ground nobody touched before. Otherwise, most would have had to quit after a week. Rather, there were and are complaints or sighs that deeds do not disband, or do not disband fast enough, or are offered for sale at too high rates for players looking for a place to settle. I did not find a single one refusing to settle on "deflowered" ground.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

Most of the players either doesn't care or hate terraforming, it is confusing for most of them. I live close to Haven's Landing and am some sort of unofficial newbie helper on Ind and also some kind of real estate agent, so I think I have some experience. First thing they want it flat land ready to build their house. And I am tired of that "nature" rhetoric, this is a sandbox RPG, it is supposed to be unnatural, inorganic, and artificial, it is also an ancient sandbox and it should look like that. Some terraformed land can be found by someone who loves the design but for example want to be a Fo priest and doesn't want to terraform. You want all natural look again - grab a shovel, a pickaxe and a friend (or two). 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, Ekcin said:

If one wants reversion of terraforming, just take a shovel. Admittedly, reversion of damage done to rocks on surface is not equally easy if possible at all. I would all be for some "level border" option for mining and surface mining able to circumvent the 40 slope problem (but that is a preliminary idea). But normal terraforming complaints are almost always about dirt/sand layer terraforming (less about tundra where I clearly get the point, but only to the extent that tundra creation is possibly too hard). So, as said, don't be lazy, create your own "virgin ground" with a shovel. 

And please, please, stop with all that hypocritic babble about the new players you pretend to support. There is no evidence that all new players prefer virgin ground. Many of the players on NFI went there

• because of "Steam Server" misunderstanding
  • because their steam friends went or already are there
  • because there were large settlements to build and to join

As to deeding, I read about and even spoke about with NFI players. No one claimed to want only to settle on ground nobody touched before. Otherwise, most would have had to quit after a week. Rather, there were and are complaints or sighs that deeds do not disband, or do not disband fast enough, or are offered for sale at too high rates for players looking for a place to settle. I did not find a single one refusing to settle on "deflowered" ground.

If what you are saying was true then why did the devs kept adding so many new servers on the new cluster?

Untill they figure out a way for an existing server to recycle its nature there will always be a need for server spam.

Also i love how people tell me to grab a shovel if i like nature so much because then i can  tell them to grab a trowel if they like ruins so much make a bunch on their deed and live happily ever after while new people can find fresh new land on an old server. Everybody wins!

Other people mentioned  new players that they talked to (which means they decided to keep playing the game) are not bothered by the state of the old servers and they don't need wild nature.

That is true,  but i nerver said all new players want that,  obviouslly there are some that can look past it but at the same time if i own a restaurant and 8 out of 10 people that come inside run out as soon as they see the mess i keep it in, i can just quote the 2 customers that decided to eat in the mess anyway and poof just like that i am a top notch restaurant nothing wrong  and nothing needs fixing  or wait maybe instead of cleaning the tables and getting rid of the salmonella i can just go to Ikea and keep buying fresh new tables, what an epic business model (pun intended)

Edited by Cipacadrinho

The new servers were not created due to lack of free land or untouched nature.The reason was to create an at least nominally levelled ground for all beginners, and not to let amassed silver thesauri of decade long player accounts disrupt the economy. Of course, that "virgin economy" predictibly did not last much longer than then "virgin grounds", mainly due to experienced Wurm veterans flocking in to dominate, or at least enjoy the larger market opportunities.

I reckon there is more untouched ground on Xanadu than space on Cadence or Harmony. The latter are home of 850 to 900 settlements, 4x larger Xanadu of roughly 1000 (994 atm). Melody with 427 deeds is worst, as it is 16 times smaller than Xanadu. Other southern servers are similar. Nowhere is it harder to find untouched areas than on NFI. If you want virgin ground, go to Epic, Elevation in particular.

Well, and as to taking a trowel, why? Deeds are disbanding, being recreated elsewhere all time. Ruins, depending on material and quality, exist for weeks, or at most about a year, and that only if the owner did not leave the server, unless s/he maintains the structures. But as much as I hate dirt cliffs from long disbanded deeds at times, I would never want a subroutine or bot decide about.whether they should continue to exist. Several members of my alliance took and still take care of overly ugly abandoned terrains, because we like the blooming nature of Wurm. Those loving meadows need to massacre many trees from time to time, and I would not want an algorithm doing that work.

And far not all results of prior terraforming are a mess, some I looked over, on Independence, northern Pristine and elsewhere, remind somewhat the terrace landscapes of Inner Asia, also result of millennia of human terraforming, and are a quite charming site. With your disgusting and insulting analogy of a messy restaurant you are once more self-aggrandizing and defaming others. Live up to a sandbox game.

• Like 3

the great wall slopes of crap if no one owns it i want to see it degrade anyway you want it to

@ChampagneDragonTrowels are used to build, we love decaying ruins, you know - urbex. As @Ekcinsaid new servers were created to give a new wave of players the same starting point as old ones. As I noticed flat surface especially close to water is very sought by the new players because they would like to build a house fast and not many people fancy terraforming. Even yesterday I was showing a new player around, and he didn't even want to look on "virgin slopes". 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ekcin said:

The new servers were not created due to lack of free land or untouched nature.The reason was to create an at least nominally levelled ground for all beginners, and not to let amassed silver thesauri of decade long player accounts disrupt the economy. Of course, that "virgin economy" predictibly did not last much longer than then "virgin grounds", mainly due to experienced Wurm veterans flocking in to dominate, or at least enjoy the larger market opportunities.

I reckon there is more untouched ground on Xanadu than space on Cadence or Harmony. The latter are home of 850 to 900 settlements, 4x larger Xanadu of roughly 1000 (994 atm). Melody with 427 deeds is worst, as it is 16 times smaller than Xanadu. Other southern servers are similar. Nowhere is it harder to find untouched areas than on NFI. If you want virgin ground, go to Epic, Elevation in particular.

You literally described the problem better than me: the devs knew there was a ton of free land on the old servers but yet they decided to  launch an entire new cluster because all that land is not desirable and the people playing there dont want to accept any change that will ensure the plots of land situated in desirable places will automatically revert to a natural state and be more appealing for people to settle there and live their fantasy of creating a home in the wilderness.

So they launched a new cluster and removed fatigue so the veterans could go there and grind on same account spamming wisdom on vynora on themselves for steady supply of sleep bonus and then sell average items to the newbies at prices 10x of the old cluster.

Great newbie protection.

Also the stockpile of items on the old cluster surelly is a problem but at the same time as long as there is no such thing as an auction house where you could list said items at a dumping price and have them sell even when the player is offline then other people can sell their stuff too.

As an example Macoofer has a huge item stockpile yes? But he is not always online so the problem is being made to seem bigger than it actually is.

If he could have listed the items on an auction house and have them sell offline while he would log 1-2h/day to collect the coin then yes it would be a major market hit.

You are straying far off the topic. If the issue was not missing virgin land why the hack your suggestion? As others pointed out as well, the issue is not finding untouched nature. Even on NFI you may find some, mountaintops, far off areas littered with aggressive mobs etc. Every wannabe hermit may find her place if she manages to survive. But that is not what the waste majority of beginners want or ever wanted, and automatic fast decay of abandoned deeds would in no way help them.  A beginner typically wants a house, a pen, maybe a boat. The "virgin land" demands come from older players like you who are too lazy to take a shovel. The responsibility for the shape of the lands is with the players in Wurm, that is good, and should not be infringed by algorithms which would ruin performance, and create new nasty bugs.

And accusing the devs that they intentionally "launched a new cluster and removed fatigue so the veterans could go there and grind on same account spamming wisdom on vynora .." is rubbish. The devs were in a terrible strain and workload from last autumn on when the management decided to launch at steam (which was a good decision as we have seen). They did not expect the extent of new players rushing in, and had to create a new PvE server twice which is overcrowded to some extent even now, certainly in terms of land claimed. Your proposal would only hurt established structures and landscapes on the old servers. All your "for the new players" is hypocrisy, self-delusion if not plainly dishonest.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

11 hours ago, Ekcin said:

You are straying far off the topic. If the issue was not missing virgin land why the hack your suggestion? As others pointed out as well, the issue is not finding untouched nature. Even on NFI you may find some, mountaintops, far off areas littered with aggressive mobs etc. Every wannabe hermit may find her place if she manages to survive. But that is not what the waste majority of beginners want or ever wanted, and automatic fast decay of abandoned deeds would in no way help them.  A beginner typically wants a house, a pen, maybe a boat. The "virgin land" demands come from older players like you who are too lazy to take a shovel. The responsibility for the shape of the lands is with the players in Wurm, that is good, and should not be infringed by algorithms which would ruin performance, and create new nasty bugs.

And accusing the devs that they intentionally "launched a new cluster and removed fatigue so the veterans could go there and grind on same account spamming wisdom on vynora .." is rubbish. The devs were in a terrible strain and workload from last autumn on when the management decided to launch at steam (which was a good decision as we have seen). They did not expect the extent of new players rushing in, and had to create a new PvE server twice which is overcrowded to some extent even now, certainly in terms of land claimed. Your proposal would only hurt established structures and landscapes on the old servers. All your "for the new players" is hypocrisy, self-delusion if not plainly dishonest.

In first paragraph you scramble to put together a weak attempt to convince us that there is plenty of desirable land for newbies to settle on  the old cluster, but in practice, the devs decided to launch a new one to give them access to virgin lands so they keep playing the game right?

No! According to you they did it to protect the newbies from the skillgap right? This might be the first game that considers their existing player base  a downside :)

In the second paragraph you argue that the devs had to add new servers so the newbies had somewhere to settle to while the devs removed the fatigue on that cluster for what? If not for the people playing there to grind non stop unhindered then for what? What was the need for the fatigue removal then? How do you protect the newbies that are not going to play as much as a vet or have the game knowledge to grind as effectivelly by removing fatigue and basically enabling the vets that rolled new toons there to create the skill gap anyway?

So which one is it!? If the old cluster has plenty of desirable land then there will be no need for a new cluster right?

At this point you are contradicting yourself just fine all the rest of us have to do is grab the popcorn and watch you squirm.

Edited by Cipacadrinho