Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Set snowball mail cost to 1i

Snowballs are crucial for larders, and useful for many cooking recipes. But they are available only in a short time window, then - except by snowman statues - unavailable for ca. 42 RL days. That is a strain for beginners and returnees likewise, and sometimes for players founding or extending settlements.

Unfortunately, mailing snowballs falls under the 1c/item mail price, and 1s mail cost for a full set of larder coolant is prohibitive for trade. It would be a good idea to lower that price to that of paper/papyrus sheets. namely 1i/item.

• Like 4

Makes sense.

Although....  ice was always very expensive in pre-industrial ages, not least because of the prohibitive cost of transport.  Maybe woodscrap could be used as insulation (or wool) and wagoneer bulk snow.

I totally understand that the thread is about mailing costs for snowballs, however, what about the ability to make a cool store for storing ice? This uses techniques utilised by several ancient civilisations down the ages. 

Suggested Method / Solution

1. Any area of a cave

2. Add snow / ice balls to the tile.

3. Add salt to the pile- the greater the quality of the salt the more slowly the ice / snow will decay.

4. Perhaps add a sheet to act as tarpaulin- again, the better the quality of the sheet the greater the reduction in decay (not so sure about this last point)

When you require some snow all you would then have to do is to open the pile and take the required amount albeit at a reduced quality. 

This would potentially mean that cooks would not have to worry about paying huge amounts to bring in extra snow.

10 hours ago, Spolmit said:

I totally understand that the thread is about mailing costs for snowballs, however, what about the ability to make a cool store for storing ice? This uses techniques utilised by several ancient civilisations down the ages. 

Suggested Method / Solution

1. Any area of a cave

2. Add snow / ice balls to the tile.

3. Add salt to the pile- the greater the quality of the salt the more slowly the ice / snow will decay.

4. Perhaps add a sheet to act as tarpaulin- again, the better the quality of the sheet the greater the reduction in decay (not so sure about this last point)

When you require some snow all you would then have to do is to open the pile and take the required amount albeit at a reduced quality. 

This would potentially mean that cooks would not have to worry about paying huge amounts to bring in extra snow.

I like the notion, and when I was posting about insulation I thought that ice houses could be good.  However, salt accelerates melting rather than slowing it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I like the notion, and when I was posting about insulation I thought that ice houses could be good.  However, salt accelerates melting rather than slowing it.  

I have no problem with price/snowball being dropped to 1i each as the OP suggests even though I've never had the need to mail any. I also like the ice house idea. And yes salt helps melt ice.