Sign in to follow this  
Ngin

How would you deal with successful rare roll on a rare item during an improvement order ?

8 minutes ago, Ogare said:

I'd give client rare item.

Unless I specifically said beforehand that I keep any rare item and replace it with a comparable non-rare item.

Out of the previous context. When i'm crafting something from scratch, if it turn rares I might keep it. BUT from the moment I offered specific on the item like the detail of the enchants to the customer (classic with weapons and the like) the item belong to them... if rarity occurs during the final imp, it's still theirs. Same goes for a simple imping job (knowing some items do have rarity increase runes attached to them ... or rare lumps are mailed to actually turn the item rare)... it's obvious the rare should go to the customer.

12 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

If the nature of the service is to change, establish the changed agreement before you start the service.

Yah, that's the keypoint in the lengthy headache you can read above, service was changed and accepted, then the agreement was broken, the rarity here is a second matter (and relatively moot point seeing that we kinda all agreed in this thread that the OWNER of the item should keep it).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Odynn said:

we kinda all agreed in this thread that the OWNER of the item should keep it

Technically that isn't where the broad agreement lies.  The "contract" is between the one provide the imping service and the one who pays them and provides the piece.  The customer and owner would generally be the same person, but not always. I didn't read the "lengthy headache" as I figure I would only begetting two one-sided perspectives and not the whole picture.  I will say, though that if rarity is a second matter in that story  then the whole story would seem off topic.

I have only sent a couple of things for imping - literally a sword/shield pair - and while I didn't get rare (which is after all random) the items returned with CoC runes on BOTH.  Gutsy and generous move.

Edited by TheTrickster

On 12/4/2020 at 2:55 AM, Odynn said:

Out of the previous context. When i'm crafting something from scratch, if it turn rares I might keep it. BUT from the moment I offered specific on the item like the detail of the enchants to the customer (classic with weapons and the like) the item belong to them... if rarity occurs during the final imp, it's still theirs. Same goes for a simple imping job (knowing some items do have rarity increase runes attached to them ... or rare lumps are mailed to actually turn the item rare)... it's obvious the rare should go to the customer.

Are you trying to say I'm wrong? I answered the OP's question. I don't appreciate your opinion and didn't ask for it. 

In summary for the OP;  in absence of an agreement beforehand, the newly rare item goes to the client. But the imper can keep it if person states beforehand to reserve the right to keep items that go rare and replace with a non-rare of equal or great details (details like enchant powers).

To be completely honest I feel OP's feelings hard when someone asks for an 80 cast and it lands 100.

Which happens to me often enough that it feels like someone could save some money going for multiple items at 80 rather 1 at 100 (which isn't a consideration re:rares, unless people do raring services?)

Thankfully, people make a habit out of tipping, it creates return customers, and I get to feel good that they got such a neat item on the cheap. Those wash it down nicely.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:55 AM, Ogare said:

Are you trying to say I'm wrong? I answered the OP's question. I don't appreciate your opinion and didn't ask for it. 

@OgareWhat you do is what you do, as long as the client is warned before hand, I do not have to voice an opinion about the way you manage your business.

I was just saying how I was managing my own business after I was quoted on a mess of a deal and wished the worse when it came to customers. Reputation is key in wurm, i've built mine for years and was not going to go down with someone who scammed someone else of a rare (and refused to pay what they agreed to pay).

• Like 1

I was honestly wondering about that, considering I finally volunteered for the first Impalong ever...the Lunalong, coming soon!!

I think I would feel a bit distressed that it wasn't my item, but at the end of the day, I know I would give it back.  Yes, it was my work and my rare roll, but the rare rolls don't care what you're doing when they hit!  I was imping a random guard tower to just get more guards (it was at 30 QL) and it went supreme!  Not even mine, but whatever...I know that was my work and take pride in that.  I don't get the rewards per se, but I got the experience and built my skills a bit more.

On creation, yes I do keep any rares unless stated upfront.  Sometimes I will give them along with the item(s), just 'cause.  I'm not that focused on money that I demand top prices for everything.  I still give value to the experience and that is important to me.  I like my rares, don't get me wrong!  But if everything I had was rare, what can I look forward to?  I don't really want to keep upgrading until everything is fantastic. I don't care that much, personally. 😝

Impalongs are probably easier, because a/ it was a charitable service to start with (so it is only degree that differs)  and 2/ the etiquette for impalonged stuff is that the owner will not sell the item (so there is no economic benefit to the owner).

Just to add to the discourse, I think it is worth remembering that really, especially since Wurm being a virtual world,  generosity actually does not cost you anything.  At worst, it costs very little and gains much that cannot be valued.

try not to haggle much on prices (speaking in general, as I have had much "professionally" imped) and usually try to leave the pricing to the other party.  Sometimes, if we are very far apart, I will just call it quits, while at other times I might suggest some compromise.  Generally, I would rather the other person feel good about the trade.  If I made a basic item and sent it to be imped and it got rarified, depending on the item I may even prefer they keep it and on-sell it.  The idea of someone's favourite spoon having my maker's mark on it is appealing.

Edited by TheTrickster

I would and I have in the past given the client a rare item after it turned rare during imping without additional cost or request for a tip.

My rationale is that the client asked you to imp their item and not to make it rare so we should give them the exact item they provide at the agreed imp level. 

I have since stipulated my policy in the merchant add. To be honest, I am genuinely happy for the client if the item turns rare or better.

• Like 4

If anyone should pay anything, then it's the one person that turned the item rare without having this request from the client.

How would you feel, if you brought your car to the shop for tire exchange, and they did a paintjob "just as a bonus" without even asking you :P And no, I don't want a replacement car back, I want the same car, new tires, no blue paint.

I dare you to take this post seriously

@ShmericX gonna give it to 'ya.

There was a whole TV show based off this premise.

I imagine most people sold the vehicles and bought a new house.