Sign in to follow this  
Wildelf

Antideed structures

I have been seeing alot of one tile structures with high QL to prevent players to deed that spot. Only an idiots would named those structures Antideed xx, saw alot of them South of Summerholt in Xanadu. So i pass on, found a spot i like to settle and on a small lake that no one is around. This spot also has a 1 tile structure, few old storages and carts laying around. My question, can i ask a GM to destroy this structure if i want to deed this spot?

This is getting out of hands, that some players cant do what they like, putting those structures there that they think they owned those places.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

that some players cant do what they like,

Pretty much sums up your post. The same freedom you're asking for should be granted to everyone.

And yes, these can be annoying, but more annoying is having someone next door that completely destroyed all your expansion plans or terrain you worked on for it to be a certain way just for your own visual pleasure. Xanadu is old, and people are grumpy. We've experienced all kinds of people around here, especially in the north east side. We take precautions to avoid drama.

edit: I'd also like to clarify that a lot of these structures are there for 3 reasons imo. 

Avoiding newer players from unknowingly creating issues (we've seen these complaints all through the forums where a vet helps a new player do something that turns into a very bad experience)

Securing a location for future plans, or preserving an area from being taken albeit could lead to drama/bad experiences

Keeping potential neighbors at bay

Edited by Legios
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

My question, can i ask a GM to destroy this structure if i want to deed this spot?

Quick answer: No. GMs do not destroy buildings on request

Edited by neopherus

That isnt fair, this one here is middle of no where and the place of South Summerholt, got a dozen line up near the main road around the whatever. So look like i am gonna have to look elsewhere or quit playing find something else to do.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

find something else to do.

👍

If that's how you solve your issues, be that way.

Wildelf, Xanadu is a massive server.  There are so many places there, where you can wander lost for hours and not see a single sign that someone else has ever been there before.  If you are trying to deed near a town, you are going to deal with the worst roadblocks that people can throw at you.  Keep looking.  THere is no question in my mind that you can discover far better places to drop a deed.  In fact, you can find a really messed up piece of land and give it a complete make-over and turn it into a beautiful garden show place.  All up to you.

• Like 1

I think Legios described the issue quite well. I once was reckless enough not to secure my neighbourhood, and was surrounded by the deed and alt deeds of a toxic player attempting to drive me away, harrassing me a long time with hacking trees, destroying roads, erecting walls, even KoS by his alts. I would never again tolerate a deed with perimeter adjacent to mine. I love my neighbours, the nearest is about 110 tiles away. That is a healthy ratio.

But most buildings do not just serve blocking purposes. Small buildings along main roads or explorers' routes often serve the purpose to grant shelter for travelers. I have created some with beds, even with a mailbox, usually a 1x2 with flat roof with chain fences to allow to climb up and look out. If someone reasonable, and fitting to our area, would like to plant a deed there I might transfer ownership, grant build/manage perms, or even demolish. If you like that place you describe you may try to find out and contact the creator, even try to deed from some angle to get the structure into perimeter so that it cannot be repaired.

But I would recommend first to settle if you like the area, befriend the locals, and get to an agreement.

51 minutes ago, Legios said:

Pretty much sums up your post. The same freedom you're asking for should be granted to everyone.

And yes, these can be annoying, but more annoying is having someone next door that completely destroyed all your expansion plans or terrain you worked on for it to be a certain way just for your own visual pleasure. Xanadu is old, and people are grumpy. We've experienced all kinds of people around here, especially in the north east side. We take precautions to avoid drama.

edit: I'd also like to clarify that a lot of these structures are there for 3 reasons imo. 

Avoiding newer players from unknowingly creating issues (we've seen these complaints all through the forums where a vet helps a new player do something that turns into a very bad experience)

Securing a location for future plans, or preserving an area from being taken albeit could lead to drama/bad experiences

Keeping potential neighbors at bay

This post starts by saying everyone should have the same freedom but then tries to justify some players making sure other players don't have it.

The precautions to take would be to establish deeds and perhaps put up signs.  Despite a certain attractiveness to the notion, you do not own all that you can see and just because you can see it does mean nobody else can own it.  Apart from anything else, the logic is badly flawed because an off-deed structure does nothing to protect terrain.

All of the 3 reasons you give are reasons to deed, or at least to have an expanded perimeter.

Basically it is going out of your way to be such an obviously and inveterately bad neighbour that nobody wants to be near you.  It is pretty much employing a cynical policy of griefing to lay claim to as much free land as possible, on the server with the lowest population density.

You are not  avoiding drama at all, you are causing it for others.

40 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

That isnt fair, this one here is middle of no where and the place of South Summerholt, got a dozen line up near the main road around the whatever. So look like i am gonna have to look elsewhere or quit playing find something else to do.

No, it isn't fair.  There is a high stink of entitlement about it.  Almost a literal "we are the masters of all we survey" attitude.

9 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

If you are trying to deed near a town, you are going to deal with the worst roadblocks that people can throw at you.  Keep looking.

I think the phrase used was "middle of nowhere".  Xanadu is sounding more and more like some kind of hillbilly backwater.  We have had lengthy discussions about what SFI has to offer and "community" and "welcome" and "helpful" type comments come up quite a bit, but this attitude that there are areas you simply shouldn't look to settle because the locals' behaviour is a) deplorable and b) not deplored is the complete opposite of that.

I get that there is a reaction to "toxic players" but it is a reaction levied against ALL players, and the toxic players would probably just see it as a chance for more mischief and aggravation.

@Wildelf sadly I think if you settle anywhere near these squatters they will be enemies to you simply because you are there.  It sounds like you would be on your own because the behaviour is more than accepted; it is endorsed.  Come to Release, where there are friendly villages and still room to settle.

• Like 1

That does not sound like a very nice thing to do.  Even more so with a name called "ANTI-DEED"    It seems then that people have found a loophole for the old saying "DEED IT OR LOSE IT"  

I had a look on the Xanadu map and it looks like that around the Summerholt area, there are alot of deeds.   If this sort of thing happens on there, then I would either recommend to move to a different server or check the Xanadu map for areas where there are not many deeds around.

http://wurmonlinemaps.com/xanadu

• Like 1

@TheTricksterI do not see your point. I traveled the Summerholt area somewhat when I was creating the two tunnels in E21-F22 with Aske. There is lot of space to plant deeds of nearly every size at lots of places all around the region, only Summerholt proper and the area around has quite a lot of deeds, many belonging to the traditional NEXA allliance. And I think that locals settling since long time should have a say about what happens in their area. Thiose I know are not unfriendly at all.

And I do not see so much evil in blocking, as long as it does not extend hundreds of tiles away from the next deed (which would be a nightmare to maintain by the creator ;) ). In fact, it does not entirely prevent planting deeds as long as there isn't a building every 15 tiles in each direction, and does not prevent squatting.

The advantage of such squatting is that it is still possible to roam, to forage, botanize, do forestry, mining, even squatting and keeping animals. A whale plugging hundreds, even thousands of tiles without developping anything would be more of an annoyance.

1 hour ago, Wurmhole said:

Wildelf, Xanadu is a massive server.  There are so many places there, where you can wander lost for hours and not see a single sign that someone else has ever been there before.  If you are trying to deed near a town, you are going to deal with the worst roadblocks that people can throw at you.  Keep looking.  THere is no question in my mind that you can discover far better places to drop a deed.  In fact, you can find a really messed up piece of land and give it a complete make-over and turn it into a beautiful garden show place.  All up to you.

I wasnt looking for a spot near a town or any deeds, found a suitable spot out in the wilderness and infact there no one around. Of course favorable spot near a lake or water areas. That is why someone flagged this place, for either reserved or dont want anyone there.

48 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

This post starts by saying everyone should have the same freedom but then tries to justify some players making sure other players don't have it.

The precautions to take would be to establish deeds and perhaps put up signs.  Despite a certain attractiveness to the notion, you do not own all that you can see and just because you can see it does mean nobody else can own it.  Apart from anything else, the logic is badly flawed because an off-deed structure does nothing to protect terrain.

All of the 3 reasons you give are reasons to deed, or at least to have an expanded perimeter.

Basically it is going out of your way to be such an obviously and inveterately bad neighbour that nobody wants to be near you.  It is pretty much employing a cynical policy of griefing to lay claim to as much free land as possible, on the server with the lowest population density.

You are not  avoiding drama at all, you are causing it for others.

No, it isn't fair.  There is a high stink of entitlement about it.  Almost a literal "we are the masters of all we survey" attitude.

I think the phrase used was "middle of nowhere".  Xanadu is sounding more and more like some kind of hillbilly backwater.  We have had lengthy discussions about what SFI has to offer and "community" and "welcome" and "helpful" type comments come up quite a bit, but this attitude that there are areas you simply shouldn't look to settle because the locals' behaviour is a) deplorable and b) not deplored is the complete opposite of that.

I get that there is a reaction to "toxic players" but it is a reaction levied against ALL players, and the toxic players would probably just see it as a chance for more mischief and aggravation.

@Wildelf sadly I think if you settle anywhere near these squatters they will be enemies to you simply because you are there.  It sounds like you would be on your own because the behaviour is more than accepted; it is endorsed.  Come to Release, where there are friendly villages and still room to settle.

I might do that, yes there alot of toxic players around sadly. Most dont even say hi or whatever, guess that is why there so many Libila worshippers out there.

This doesnt keep me from playing Wurm, but if i have to i will go back to Unlimited and dont think i will give this Online another chance.

Edited by Wildelf

-

Edited by Yserin
no longer playing, Per the mismanagment of AH update

Do what others have done, deed near it and extend the perimeter to overlap the offending house.  It'll rot away as the perimeter prevents anyone from repairing it, even it's owner.  Once down, disband and redeed where you'd like.  Yes it's a long wait but that's Wurm for ya.

3 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Do what others have done, deed near it and extend the perimeter to overlap the offending house.  It'll rot away as the perimeter prevents anyone from repairing it, even it's owner.  Once down, disband and redeed where you'd like.  Yes it's a long wait but that's Wurm for ya.

I had to do this once for a 1x1 someone put over a source near me.  As long as the house owner keeps logging in, I believe it helps prevent the decay from ramping up too fast. In my case, it took almost a year to get rid of a q80 house in my perim.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yserin said:

the reason for libila followers are many and varied. only a few that are based in rp elements. So please do not lump a whole group with "toxic" because you are angry thanks.

There is irony here, because the structures in question are monuments to lumping a whole group with "toxic".

@Wildelf  Come visit us at Harvestmoon Lagoon.  You can join the village, or another in the alliance, or maybe even start your own and join the alliance, or just visit and then go wandering around the server until you find a nice spot to settle.  There are a lot of those.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

That a bad idea, just because someone did something awful, doesnt mean you should do the samething. Just making it worst for yourself and others.

-

Edited by Yserin
no longer playing, Per the mismanagment of AH update
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

There is irony here, because the structures in question are monuments to lumping a whole group with "toxic".

@Wildelf  Come visit us at Harvestmoon Lagoon.  You can join the village, or another in the alliance, or maybe even start your own and join the alliance, or just visit and then go wandering around the server until you find a nice spot to settle.  There are a lot of those.  

Thanks, i will someday, let me see how things roll out first. I manage to find a sweet place for a woodelf, near a peaceful lake. When i get into better shape, then i come and visit :)

2 minutes ago, Yserin said:

I was addressing the libila comment specificly xD not the rest of the thread but I can address it with my 2 iron easy enough.

I disagree with the whole 1x1 everywhere to prevent deeding myself personally, I get why some feel its necessary especially if they have been griefed before. If someone has enough bad experiences they are going to protect themselves and the area around them. Some dont have bad experiences and want it for whatever reason that is theirs. You cant tell them apart without talking to them and even then its a roll of the dice if they want to talk. Wasnt fun for the people so they tried to protect themselves or a spot without paying otu the nose or preventing mob spawn its not fun for the people that come after either to deal with those shacks. I get why people do it and I get why people get angry about it but would rather have the 1x1's then half the map deeded hard enough to find mobs or tundra depending on the map. I cant remember which post it was but the dev's claimed they were trying to find a better system for the springs to help prevent people claiming them with 1x1's if that is indeed the situation here. I don't see a good solution other then avoid that area because if you already dont like them over that when  you havent ( i am assuming here) met the people or talked to them. Then you probably don't want to have them as neighbors and they def dont want neighbors so you might get harassed if you do try to tough it out. esp when you are trying to get their structures destroyed ( regardless of reason. people going to people) but labeling people toxic for not saying hello in local( afk is a big part of the game it feels like) or especially  labeling all libila as toxic because they are a libila follower seems... counter productive to finding people to play with esp when trying to get things destroyed to have your way.

I do in fact hope you find a good spot with neighbors who interact with you in ways you both like and want. but if you are already hostile over someones 1x1's then they will get hostile back you are just inviting stress if you build there to be good to your mental health. There are People asking you to be their neighbors here :D those are the ones you are pob want to set up near as they area already welcoming you.

Yeah i get what you are saying, been there, dont that. I been playing this off and on since August last year. Back then was pretty rough when i was trying to learn the ropes of the game. Took me, hmm like two months to get a hang of it. I made a few mistakes that i wasnt aware of, like messing with highways, canals, etc.

I think the biggest issues is trying to find the right players that has something in commons in between. Cant mix Lawful good align player with Chaotic Evil, just wont work out. Now for roleplaying, that rarely been seen, i been trying to roleplay out my elf for some time, none i have found so far that know how or dont care. One of my few mistakes is, before you deed, check the areas good, make sure there no deeds nearby, get to know your neighbors and see how they feel if you decide to deed there. But doesnt always work out as though it would.

• Like 1

All I can say at this point is good luck, this will be a lesson you will probably have to learn the hard way. 

Edit:
Ps: Welcome back, I'm glad you decided to give WO another try. We spoke a year ago.

Edited by Legios
  • Like 1