Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Use Tailoring skill for tentmaking instead of Fine Carpentry

Pretty much what is says on the tin.

Logically, making a tent mostly consists of stitching cloth together.  The shafts, pegs and cordage ropes are mostly just assembled.  Any carpentry at all is really only a bit of maybe cutting or a bit of carving.  Nothing fine about it.

• Like 2

IKEA yeah yeah yeah 🎶

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

Nothing fine about it.

Got me in stitches.

+1

• Like 1

+1 from everybody whose Tailoring is higher than their Fine Carp

-1 from everybody whose Fine Carp is higher than their Tailoring

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 2:11 AM, Minnie said:

+1 from everybody whose Tailoring is higher than their Fine Carp

-1 from everybody whose Fine Carp is higher than their Tailoring

Actually, to take that seriously for a bit, there is already a fair bit of fine carpentry involved in cloth tailoring - in producing and maintaining a good ql loom.  

To me, it makes little sense to say that carpentry is the main skill employed in producing an item that is 50/50 textile and timber components but whose fabric is mostly, well, fabric.  Shafts get a whittled end, pegs get that and a hole or notch.  It's the cloth that get sewn together to make a whole.

11 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Actually, to take that seriously for a bit, there is already a fair bit of fine carpentry involved in cloth tailoring - in producing and maintaining a good ql loom.  

To me, it makes little sense to say that carpentry is the main skill employed in producing an item that is 50/50 textile and timber components but whose fabric is mostly, well, fabric.  Shafts get a whittled end, pegs get that and a hole or notch.  It's the cloth that get sewn together to make a whole.

Well, cloth tailoring *is* involved in making the fabric components of a tent (square pieces of cloth).  I suppose it could be endlessly debated whether putting the fabric parts together with the wooden parts is more of a carpentry thing or a tailoring thing.

But my original point was more about the fact that, in such a debate, most players would come down on the side that benefits them the most.  E.g.:  I have higher FC than cloth tailoring, so I'd rather the tent stay as an FC item, for purely selfish reasons that have nothing to do with the question of whether the actual real-world process of making a tent is more in line with carpentry verus tailoring skill.

• Like 1