Sign in to follow this  
Bunkier

Diagonal fences, walls and floors

Have you ever wanted to make a nice road with curves and stuff and then fence it? Yeah you really can't do that on the corners. Idea is to add a way to build diagonal fences, walls and floors. Imagine the possibilities! Buildings could be placed in many different ways, you could build more detailed houses and castles. Possibilities that this would give could be huge. Diagonal bridges maybe? You name it. I would be really happy to see something like that in Wurm.

o7VUdNK.png
Here how it would work:

You would plan a wall, fence etc. by selecting two tile corners on the same tile, simple as that!

Well maybe not that simple, you would have to code a new mechanic to select things in the world but i guess its doable right?

What do y'all think about this idea?

• Like 5

I have only been around for a year and have seen this suggested several times.  It is overdue.  

We can pave half a tile, so we should be able to wall/fence half a tile.  It probably wouldn't even need new graphics, just stretch existing skins by 1.4.

• Like 1

Would love this, especially in mines. Just picture no more jagged diagonal cave canals.

• Like 1

i cant make my addams family mansion until we get diagonal walls! get on it!

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 4:21 AM, TheTrickster said:

I have only been around for a year and have seen this suggested several times.  It is overdue.  

We can pave half a tile, so we should be able to wall/fence half a tile.  It probably wouldn't even need new graphics, just stretch existing skins by 1.4.

You can't really pave half a tile, the whole tile will be paved with the paver of your choice, diagonal paving is just graphics hack. 

53 minutes ago, Platyna said:

You can't really pave half a tile, the whole tile will be paved with the paver of your choice, diagonal paving is just graphics hack. 

Yeah, but since it is all pixels, what's the difference between a graphics hack and real?

But, yes, the collisions would need to work.

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Yeah, but since it is all pixels, what's the difference between a graphics hack and real?

But, yes, the collisions would need to work.

Probably it is a hack that goes around square tile mechanics we have in Wurm, such things are usually done when proper fix is too hard or impossible to implement. I would love to have diagonal fences, for example to plant hedges around my diagonal roads but if it would require complete rewrite of the server code I would pass. ;)