Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Darnok's gameplay and UX suggestions

Sleep bonus improvement

During the RoS I made a mistake, forgot myself and used the altar with not used few hours sleep bonus. Not every player also visits the forum and uses up their bonus before global spell. Therefore, in my opinion, the sleep bonus should be allocated gradually, e.g. 1 hour for each prayer at the altar.

Crafting widow UI & improvement chance
When creating new items, the percentages do not always update, this can be seen especially well with low skill values when the character levels up quickly.

Another thing is the lack of a percentage when adding materials to an unfinished product. I understand that there is a problem with the ql of materials here, but the progress bar is quite big, so maybe there game could display a percentage of chance for the material we are currently adding?

A similar solution would be useful when improving any item. The progress bar might show a chance of success.

Display items names

Alt button function similar to that of Diablo, displays the names of items lying on the ground. Useful if you drop the needle.

Decay of items

Pottery objects in the real world can last 10,000 years, which is longer than iron objects! Why in the game do they start to decay after a few days?

From the materials available in the game, items made of low durable types of wood and iron (rust) should start to decay first.

Bronze for example is a more durable material than iron.

More clay products

Clay cauldron.

Clay tablets on which you can write (maybe even draw for example mine tunnels map) and, after burning, keep your notes for a very long time.

A player with pottery skill over 50 should be able to carve their clay statue. The model in the game already exists, devs just need to change the texture?

Bas-reliefs and statues for indoor and outdoor decoration.

the-ruins-of-persepolis-shiraz-iran-pict

800px-Terracotta_army_xian.jpg

Clay house

efc87bcfd24651a0a11430c3f41693ec.jpg

More leather items

Gloves and protective leather clothing for blacksmiths, if the character is working at the forge and does not have protective clothing, he may get burned.

A leather whip, used while driving a cart or wagon, accelerates animals for 60 seconds, at the expense of increasing hunger. The higher ql of the whip, the greater the acceleration.

The toolbelt should also be a container for small tools such as a needle, hammer, leather knife etc. It can store as many items as it has slots.

Stamina drain

It's kind of funny that you can farm a field in a metal armor. Maybe different actions like farming, mining, forestry, woodcutting etc should cost more stamina if they are done in heavier armor?

Edited by Darnok

The crafting window showing percentages for continue actions would be good.

I agree about the pottery too, it makes no sense decaying when sitting on a shelf.

• Like 1

Yeah i think the pottery should last longer, like 3x or more than average.

Yes, more clay objects please and I really like the clay house too! 

As I mentioned, I am testing WU and even there mining with increased speed of action and reduced number of rock hits to 20 is boring.

First It would be nice to limit the size of the mines beyond the deeds. This can be done so that mining on the deed and perimeter remains unchanged, but when the tunnel extends beyond the perimeter, each tile outside causes a decrease in stamina regeneration. At some point, stamina will stop regenerating and from this tile, if the player keeps mining or even moving further into tunel, his health points will start to drop due to lack of oxygen.

Now I propose changes that will reward players who will pay attention to what their character is doing, but at the same time, it will still be possible to play the game in the current style (mindlessly pressing one button, adding actions to the queue and waiting for the actions to end).

Mining - each stone wall is divided into 5 areas (center, NE, NW, SE, SW, names not relevant). When performing an action, the player may see the message "there is a crack in NE part of the wall, hit it to speed up mining". The time to click on an area and perform an action with a pickaxe will be random and limited, interrupting the current action will result in failure. The whole fun is to make not only the player, but also his character, have the opportunity to perform the next action (after the one action that showed the message), if the player has reflex and the time of performed next action will be within the limit, the reward will be tearing 5 or more pieces of rock and receiving skill gain for 5 hits with the time of just 1 action.
There may be additional skill requirements, such as having prospecting above 20 to see these areas on the wall or the higher the prospecting, the more often the bonus message appears and the more stones player is able to remove in one hit. The same mechanism may work for metal mining with the additional bonus would be a higher chance of maximum ql ore.

Cutting trees - Here may be an additional skill required for example nature-> forestry on level 20. If the player has it at the appropriate level, when performing the examination on the tree, he will see the message "the tree leans towards N", so if he starts cutting tree from the south side he will start the bonus action. After each cutting action, there may or may not be a random side change message. Each action taken from the right direction takes less time, but gives the same skill gain.
The bonus is a faster action execution for the normal skill gain value, as well as raising the minimum value in the ql range, thus increasing the chance of getting a logs with a higher ql.

Cooking - by placing containers (bowls, pans, etc.) in the oven, each of their name is visible in a different color. After heating the container and ingredients to the appropriate temperature, the player receives a message:
"mix ingredients for the {color} pan"

so the player simply has to change the order of the ingredients inside the container. The reward may be higher skill gain and better ql of the finished dish.

Hunting and collecting skins and meat - when we fight an animal, the blows we inflict should be important for the raw materials we receive from the animal. So if we made a lot of blows to the torso, the meat, leather or pelt should be damaged or of lower quality. If we hit the animal on the head, for example, the eyes should be damaged or have zero chance of showing up after butchering. The occurrence of raw materials may not even be random, but their quantity, quality and degree of damage should depend on what weapon we hit and where. The smallest damage to raw materials should be done by the arrows. Spears and swords would be next in line. Also if it was possible to change the type of damage dealt, weapons that have more than one type of damage, each weapon could have this setting on the example of swords: piercing, slashing, mixed.

Digging - when performing an action, a message about the start of the bonus would appear and the player would have to move the mouse left-right or up-down for a few seconds, depending on the displayed message. After completing the bonus was 5x skill gain and 5x excavated material (sand, tar, clay) in time of one action.

Building - that is, adding materials to an item or building. When performing an action, a message about "extremely efficient use of tools" would appear at this time the player would have to select random items in the inventory required to complete a structure or item, for example, 5 of them (or random number) during this one action. The names of those items that must be selected by ctrl+click would change color and the player would have to finish selecting them before the action, during which the message appeared, is finished.

Improving items, vehicles, etc. - a message appears during an action, the player must make it before the action is completed. His task is to guess the next tool or material that will be used to improve the item he is improving right now, that means he must activate this tool or material and if he guesses and the server draws the same type, the item improvement and skill gain will be significantly higher for this one action.

Animal grooming - the animal will tell the player whether he should move character clockwise or counterclockwise around the animal, the direction may change during the action. Success means that the grooming is 100% successful and gives better results - effect will last longer.

Foraging and botanizing - a moving circle appears on the tile, the player's task is to keep mouse cursor in the center of the circle for the duration of the action, the closer to the center he was the more items he will collect.

Farming - when performing the tending action, the player receives a message about the direction from which he must take the action, so he must stand on the designated tile next to the tile that is currently tending (N, NE, NW, S, SW, SE, W, E ), if he executes the command during the action time, all tiles adjacent to the one he started tending will be also tended and he gets skill gain for all of them.

Little correction every bonus action should give 120-130% of skill gain, so the player who is focused on single character would have little more chance to keep up vs players using many alts at same time.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit (merge)
  • Cat 1

The system can be extended, for example, so that a player who has performed 2 or more bonus actions gets an additional 10%, 20% etc more skill gain than if he had performed the normal number of actions by adding them only to the queue.
The idea is that a player who is playing with just one character should not be bored and that he can advance faster than a player who tries to develop several characters at the same time by switching between clients, at the same time, the game would continue to let you all play in the style to which everyone is used to.

A few more words about hunting. The idea is that a good hunter is not every character who is trained to hit mobs with the heaviest piece of iron, but someone who specializes in PvE hunting.
This way, a player who only wants to train skills because he is preparing a character for PvP can still do this, but he will have less profit than a player who specializes in hunting and gathering high ql resources from animals.

I wonder.. do you play WO or WU at all?

• Like 3

On 7/5/2021 at 3:58 PM, Darnok said:

First It would be nice to limit the size of the mines beyond the deeds. This can be done so that mining on the deed and perimeter remains unchanged, but when the tunnel extends beyond the perimeter, each tile outside causes a decrease in stamina regeneration. At some point, stamina will stop regenerating and from this tile, if the player keeps mining or even moving further into tunel, his health points will start to drop due to lack of oxygen.

Why???  How would players make tunnels and canals? Have you seen some of the long canals and tunnels on SFI? some of them go through multiple map grid tiles. What you are suggesting would make this impossible and would severely inconvenience the players. I won't even comment on the rest of these suggestions as they just seem quite out there.

26 minutes ago, Finnn said:

^

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

Why???  How would players make tunnels and canals? Have you seen some of the long canals and tunnels on SFI? some of them go through multiple map grid tiles. What you are suggesting would make this impossible and would severely inconvenience the players. I won't even comment on the rest of these suggestions as they just seem quite out there.

^

It wouldn't affect canals and I don't like long tunnels 🙂

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

It wouldn't affect canals and I don't like long tunnels 🙂

How would it not effect canals? You think those canals that are there were always there? No, some hard working players mined it out. Starting as a cave and then turning it into a full fledge canal. So yes it would effect them. And so players have to suffer because you don’t like long tunnels….

• Like 2

I would recommend the OP set up a WU server to suit their preferences and then invite the masses.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

I am playing WU, but my suggestions are for WO.

6 hours ago, brattygirl said:

How would it not effect canals? You think those canals that are there were always there? No, some hard working players mined it out. Starting as a cave and then turning it into a full fledge canal. So yes it would effect them. And so players have to suffer because you don’t like long tunnels….

Tunneling and surface mining are two different things? Read again I said about tunnels (underground) I don't see how you could ran out of oxygen making canals.

Many (possibly most) of Wurm's canals are canals in tunnels.

When Wurmians speak of canals, they include tunnels for boats.  

There are also highway tunnels.  The fact that you don't like them is insufficient reason to force every other player to have go the long way around forever.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Many (possibly most) of Wurm's canals are canals in tunnels.

When Wurmians speak of canals, they include tunnels for boats.  

There are also highway tunnels.  The fact that you don't like them is insufficient reason to force every other player to have go the long way around forever.

You probably didn't read it thoroughly, but I wrote that stamina should gradually regenerate slower and slower, which is not suggesting an absolute ban on tunnels beyond deed, only limiting its length. If you need a highway tunnel, you can divide it into sections.

Well, try to guess why the mountain roads in real world look like this? 😉

crazy-roads4.jpg

Edited by Darnok

On 7/6/2021 at 5:58 AM, Darnok said:

any reason why you think this would help or do you just want to see the map covered in mine deeds for some odd reason

4 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

any reason why you think this would help or do you just want to see the map covered in mine deeds for some odd reason

I wrote a suggestion on how to speed up the tunneling/mining (1 action 5 or more stones extracted), so for balance it would be useful to limit the length of the tunnels outside the deed so that someone would not come up with the idea of digging a tunnel too long and, for example, cutting you off from resources that are 5 tiles from your deed.

so a solution to a completely outlandish scenario in which you could just mine into the tunnel and access the resources yourself, gotcha

Goddamn it everyone, we were doing so good by not falling for the bait. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Goddamn it everyone, we were doing so good by not falling for the bait. 

On this page alone the word "should" was used 9 times so far(10 including this response), just for fun; guess who makes demands instead of suggestions without checking.

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

so a solution to a completely outlandish scenario in which you could just mine into the tunnel and access the resources yourself, gotcha

Yes, from the beginning, I believe that a player who settled closer to a given resource, even if that resource is not on his deed, has more rights to it.

Wurm's main problem, in my opinion, is that not everyone likes to watch the progress bar moving through 95% of the time spent in the game.

Therefore, I propose solutions that would add a bit more actions that the player has to take to be able to play, of course I understand that many players have got used to what Wurm is and for them the current system should stay, but some elements, such as the size of the mines, would have to be modified, to keep the game consistent.
Most of the actions performed by the player are also random, and adding additional elements to the game could get rid of this randomness and a better player (one that performs these actions faster and more precisely) would have access not only to larger quantity, but also to better quality resources and products than a player who only presses the same button several times to cut down a tree or dig a dirt or for mine a stone or metal.

You need to explain the problem this suggestion is resolving. 

You're phrasing it to add complexity to achieve the same goal, with more drawbacks than gains. 

That's generally problem with several of the latest forum suggestions/and some new content.. making the game harder than it should be and add more complexity than needed, original long term mechanics have a goal, way to achieve it: better or not.. and a little spice to it to get the one or other result with better odds, but that wraps a good mechanic which you can trust and depend on, also it makes it easy to explain to others.